Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

I just got home from grocery shopping with the family at Walmart. No one cares much on 1960 though. And before anyone asks, no, none of us were raped or robbed in the parking lot. That could have been due to the torrential downpour going on while I was loading the trunk though. Everyone knows criminals fear the rain.

• Like 1

I'm late to the game and still trying to figure what Heights-invasion is happening. This is proposed for south of the I-10? It's practically at the railroad tracks! The cries for more fancy cheese, more checkout lanes and more parking just resulted in the planet's largest Kroger on Shepherd, but a Wal-Mart on the other side of the highway is a problem? There is apparently no pleasing the Heights.

I hate shopping at Wal-mart (and virtually all large stores) because it attracts so many people with their armies of horrible little children. But, I love their RV parking policy. I'm stoked, because when I cash out and get rid of all my stuff to live in a used motor home, thanks to the Wal-Mart parking lot, I can stay inside the loop.

Well, crunch, you're just not hip to how the Heights works. When we're complaining about restaurants and D-bag bars, Washington Avenue is NOT the Heights. An interstate highway is a pretty clear line of demarcation. But, when we complain about Walmart, then Washington Avenue is included in the Heights. It works the same with our homes. We don't want uber-riche people building McMansions in the Heights, forcing out the middle class. We'd rather impose such restrictions on them that they cannot afford to repair or remodel their bungalows. By the same logic, we don't want low price Walmart, because they pay low wages. We'd rather have high priced 'mom and pops' for our middle class residents to enjoy. It makes perfect sense to us. Only an Eastie like yourself and Niche couldn't understand something as simple as this.

• Like 1

We don't want uber-riche people building McMansions in the Heights, forcing out the middle class.

We'd rather have high priced 'mom and pops' for our middle class residents to enjoy.

Apparently I'm not middle class, like I had previously though.

Well, crunch, you're just not hip to how the Heights works. When we're complaining about restaurants and D-bag bars, Washington Avenue is NOT the Heights. An interstate highway is a pretty clear line of demarcation. But, when we complain about Walmart, then Washington Avenue is included in the Heights. It works the same with our homes. We don't want uber-riche people building McMansions in the Heights, forcing out the middle class. We'd rather impose such restrictions on them that they cannot afford to repair or remodel their bungalows. By the same logic, we don't want low price Walmart, because they pay low wages. We'd rather have high priced 'mom and pops' for our middle class residents to enjoy. It makes perfect sense to us. Only an Eastie like yourself and Niche couldn't understand something as simple as this.

You could always move on up to the east side. No restrictions here! OK, maybe some lightweight deed restriction on certain streets about multi-family and commercial, but hey. Unlike the Heights, I'll have light rail 3 blocks away from mi casa in the next two years. It may only go to Minute Maid Park and down Harrisburg, but hey, it's a start. And if you ever get lonesome for the Heights, I think the #40 Pecore bus comes through here.

Houston, TX is not Westerfield, MA. There are about 60 times the number of people in our region, better higher-paying jobs, productive industry, and modern infrastructure. Your apparent surprise that a cultural institution could not turn around the town's economy is also kind of telling. The problem with towns such as that one is that the core employers cannot sustain their business. And to be clear, a mom & pop dry goods store is not a core employer; a museum is not a core employer; nor is a Wal-Mart; they are all non-core employers enabled by the disposable income injected into the workforce by industry (and to some extent from transfer payments).

Compare cities and towns in the northeast and the rust belt to Texas; with only three exceptions (Beaumont, Wichita Falls, and Sherman-Denison), all of our MSAs are growing. They all also have one or more Wal-Marts, and I'd suspect in higher concentration per capita than they exist in the northeast. Energy is only part of the story; why is Waco growing...or Amarillo? The answer is that Texas is a business-friendly state. We can out-compete Massachusetts and even China in many categories. ...and whether in spite of our Wal-Marts or more likely regardless of them, people move here from stagnant places like Pittsfield, MA for self-betterment in one form or another.

Actually, the economy of Western MA is some residual farming but primarily tourism/culture. It hasn't been industry in most parts of the state for more than 60 years. As I said before, many of the towns throughout the Berkshires are thriving and always have. It's places and events like Cranwell to Tanglewood to the Williamstown Theater Festival which fuel the economy of the western part of the state. It's picturesque and quaint; people come from all over the world to spend weekends or even the summer. However, when people visit MassMoCA, they don't spend a lot of money in North Adams because there is no where for them to spend it. They go to Williamstown or drive down to Lee/Lenox/Stockbridge and shop, buy art, eat because you can do those things in those areas. In North Adams, you can shop at Walmart and the tourists don't want or need it. It's also not a 24 hours Walmart so the "convenience factor" is lost there as well.

As far as coming here for self betterment, I came to Texas as a full time volunteer (VISTA) working to help children in poverty, not to suckle the Texas teet, and ended up marrying a native.

But of course you know more about my hometown and my intentions and my reasons for being than I do, so I digress

My monthly living expenses are only slightly more than half of what a full-time Wal-Mart employee on minimum wage earns. If that level of income is poverty, then whatever definition of poverty you're using was cooked up by one greedy bastard.

Ahhhh. So what you really want here is a job.

• Like 3

You can move to the suburbs, get a cheap house and a whole lotta Walmart. Have fun.

• Like 1

Actually, the economy of Western MA is some residual farming but primarily tourism/culture. It hasn't been industry in most parts of the state for more than 60 years.

Exactly.

Ahhhh. So what you really want here is a job.

Sort of, but it has no bearing on this subject. I've got a packet in for an Army officer commission. That's the priority.

You can move to the suburbs, get a cheap house and a whole lotta Walmart. Have fun.

So you're telling him that your values are better; he needs to move. Do you have any idea how condescending that sounds? What if I told you, "Yankee go home!". You'd be pissed.

Let's have some civility, please.

• Like 1

...well,well Mr The Niche:

"I am not young enough to know everything"

(Oscar Wilde)

About your living expenses being "only slightly more than half of what a full-time Wal-Mart employee on minimum wage earns"; what you need to see is that compared to the Walmart employees - since you have had money in the past, you may probably already have the "stuff" that makes life very comfortable (physically and mentally)- a nice car (probably paid for), a nice home (that you feel safe in), very nice clothes, nice shoes, education=future opportunity, etc. And what you don't have or need (I'm guessing) you can probably find the means if needed (downgrade your car and/or home, cash out IRAs, 401Ks etc) to get it. If not - I guess you better read the fable about the the ant and the grasshopper... again.

Edited by CleaningLadyinCleveland
  • Like 1

You know, I found some interesting things while perusing the Walmart website. First, it appears that there are only 48 Walmarts in the entire state of Massachusetts, so I would suggest that their ability to decimate the 'mom and pop' economy is a bit overstated. However, more interesting was the fact that the average hourly wage of their 12,914 Massachusetts associates is $12.72. That's $26,500 per year, which is ABOVE the poverty level of the average family of four. Considering the skill and education level of a retail employee, 26 thou a year ain't bad wages.

Another interesting tidbit is the fact that Walmart bought $2.23 Billion in products from Massachusetts based suppliers last year, supporting 48,000 Massachusetts supplier jobs. Not Chinese jobs...Massachusetts jobs. Now, I have no idea what the mom and pops support (no one ever does), but Walmart is supporting over 60,000 Massachusetts jobs.

http://walmartstores.com/pressroom/statebystate/State.aspx?st=MA

Western MA has 2 or 3 of those 48 Walmarts but it is 1/4 of the state. People in North Adams are not making that lovely $12+ salary. That is being paid at all the Walmarts to the east where the cost of living is astronomical. Boston and it's surrounding communities are extremely expensive and that salary is barely a living wage in some areas. Where I grew up the COL is significantly less than even the 'burbs of Houston and maybe the manager is making that, but the average employee is not. PLus, that "salary" you quoted is only $4k/year above the poverty line and that assumes the employee is actually allowed to work a full time job, which most are not even though their Walmart job is their only source of income.

On average, a locally owned store injects $60/100 back in to their local economy while a national chain gives back under $40. And all "local" business is not mom & pop. I hardly think Heights area businesses like Stella Sola or Lola/Dragon Bowl/Pinks or Harold's can be considered "mom & pop" but they are locally owned.

Also, you do a lot of businesses a disservice by automatically assuming their products are out of reach of "middle class." Many of the stores in the Heights are less expensive than the large retailers who carry the same merchandise. For example Urban Soles Outpost sells everything at MSRP and is typically cheaper than Zappos for most of their stocked items. Our local booksellers usually have better prices than the big retail chains (everything at Heights Books-Libros is 20% off MSRP and they have used books for even less).

Small business owners make up a majority of the "middle class" so I would think you would do more to support them...

• Like 3

Or, I could stay right where I'm at and fight your attempts to turn my neighborhood into Western MA.

Actually, I moved to the Heights b/c it reminded me a lot of Western MA at the time but it is getting less and less like it daily. And we have no deed restrictions or Historic preservation where I am from. I am willing to bet most people don't even know what the term "deed restrictions" means in my town. Ha! Yet, there are a lot of historic homes still standing, mostly because people just like them and see value in them.

Now, down in the city that is another story... but what they have in Boston is different from what we have in Western MA or in Houston. I think most ppl can agree with that to some degree.

• Like 1

So you're telling him that your values are better; he needs to move. Do you have any idea how condescending that sounds? What if I told you, "Yankee go home!". You'd be pissed.

Let's have some civility, please.

No, I'm not telling him anything. I was being sarcastic. I guess next time I'll remember to add this ----> <_<

Plus, Red would hate the burbs. Many have way more deed restrictions than the Heights will ever have.

• Like 1

Hrmm, one side wants to "turn it into Western MA" the other side wants to turn it into FM 1960. One side motivated by quality of life considerations, the other side seemingly motivated entirely by spite. I think I've seen this conversation before...

But anyway. For me, the more important larger issue is: even if the neighborhood wanted to stop Wal-Mart, could they?

And another one bites, and another one bites, and another (neighborhood) bites the dust...

• Like 3

One side motivated by quality of life considerations, the other side seemingly motivated entirely by spite.

That's one way to frame it. The quality of life issue does seem to be the primary point of contention for one side, but spite is an askewed mischaracterization of those arguing from the other side. I think convenience and price would have been a better description, but I know that would have interfered with your love of hyperbole.

But anyway. For me, the more important larger issue is: even if the neighborhood wanted to stop Wal-Mart, could they?

It's happened before. Usually there's more in consideration than simply that a handful of people hate Walmart (ie. ecological or cultural concerns with the construction site). The vocal minority doesn't have the right to dictate the lifestyle for everyone, and when it comes to Walmart, if they think they'll be able to turn a profit, they'll build the store.

• Like 1

Small business owners make up a majority of the "middle class" so I would think you would do more to support them...

Oh, really? According to the Census Bureau, there are 5,255,844 firms with a payroll and that have fewer than twenty employees. To be generous, I'll assume that there are two partners from separate households for every such small business, that none of these small businesses are merely legal entities controlled by larger firms, and that no owner of a small business is ever "upper class" or "lower class". That would mean that only 9.4% of all American households would be considered small business owners (and again, this is being extraordinarily generous). I dare you to advance a definition of the "middle class" wherein 9.4% of people are its majority.

It's also interesting to note that these small firms employ 21,197,087 persons, just 18.4% of all employed persons; yet their payroll only accounts for 15.5% of the national total, meaning that small businesses tend to pay their employees less than medium- or large-sized businesses.

The next time you hear an elected official refer to small businesses as "the backbone of our economy", you will know that they are trying to trick you. Don't fall for it. Big businesses got big because they are more efficient; higher productivity translates to a higher material standard of living.

• Like 1

I just sent Corporate an email thru their website begging them to reconsider their location off of Washington and instead consider the area surrounding Northwest Mall. Northwest Mall has been on a downward spiral for years and if that was torn down to make a mega Walmart I would definitely shop there. It's not in the historic area but is close enough to 3 freeways to make it a convenient location to shop. I would love a Walmart nearby without causing all the fuss of people who do not like them in their neighborhood. I don't think they would encounter any problems with the community if they would consider that location.

Western MA has 2 or 3 of those 48 Walmarts but it is 1/4 of the state. People in North Adams are not making that lovely $12+ salary. That is being paid at all the Walmarts to the east where the cost of living is astronomical. Boston and it's surrounding communities are extremely expensive and that salary is barely a living wage in some areas. Where I grew up the COL is significantly less than even the 'burbs of Houston and maybe the manager is making that, but the average employee is not. PLus, that "salary" you quoted is only $4k/year above the poverty line and that assumes the employee is actually allowed to work a full time job, which most are not even though their Walmart job is their only source of income.

On average, a locally owned store injects $60/100 back in to their local economy while a national chain gives back under $40. And all "local" business is not mom & pop. I hardly think Heights area businesses like Stella Sola or Lola/Dragon Bowl/Pinks or Harold's can be considered "mom & pop" but they are locally owned.

Also, you do a lot of businesses a disservice by automatically assuming their products are out of reach of "middle class." Many of the stores in the Heights are less expensive than the large retailers who carry the same merchandise. For example Urban Soles Outpost sells everything at MSRP and is typically cheaper than Zappos for most of their stocked items. Our local booksellers usually have better prices than the big retail chains (everything at Heights Books-Libros is 20% off MSRP and they have used books for even less).

2 or 3 Walmarts in 1/4 of the state? And you claim that this has decimated the economy? I'll let your comment speak for itself.

I am not sure why your "automatic assumptions" are valid and mine are not. You "automatically assume" that a Walmart will put Heights retailers out of business (though you do not seem to automatically assume the same for Walmart's alter ego, Target), and you further "automatically assume" that I have not visited the local stores to see their prices. While I freely admit that I do not shop at Urban Soles, it is not because of their prices. They do not sell what I want. And therin lies the rub. The small stores sell what the big boxes will not. There is no danger whatsoever...despite your sniffing to the contrary...of Walmart displacing a single Heights store. Every store you've mentioned carries food or product not carried by Walmart. The only stores impacted by Walmart will be Target, Kroger, HEB and Fiesta, those that sell the everyday mundane plastic crap and staples that are sold at big stores for low prices. Any person of even ordinary intelligence knows that you shop at Walmart when service and quality are not a priority, when the plastic forks are the same everywhere, and only the price matters.

Speaking of price, for someone who worked with the poor, you have a striking unfamiliarity of what is important to them. Low price is tantamount. And a lower paying job beats no job at all, especially in an economic and political climate where jobless benefits are being blocked by the GOP minority, and unemployment benefit assistance is being rejected by the governor. Even at minimum wage, that $15,000 a year can be a life saver to many families on the verge of destitution. While $15,000 won't even pay for a set of historic district approved windows, it can help a family stay in their ramshackle rent home and eat processed food, likely sold at Walmart.

Let's not forget that the Heights is not alone in the desert. It is surrounded by poor neighborhoods. While many wealthy historic district residents can afford to spend their disposable income in a politically correct manner, the residents to the east and north, and those still living in the near slums along Washington that haven't been torn down yet, cannot. If your intent is to squeeze these residents out by making it more expensive to live in these neighborhoods, then opposition to low price Walmart is compatible with that goal. However, if you wish to actually HELP the poor, as you suggested was your reason for coming to Texas in the first place, opposing both employment opportunities and affordable groceries and other goods in a location closer to them is incongruent with your stated goal. I suspect that your dedication to the poor is trumped by your desire to remake the Heights into your vision of a utopian neighborhood. Not having married well, my vision for the Heights and surrounding neighborhoods is decidedly more egalitarian.

• Like 3

...well,well Mr The Niche:

"I am not young enough to know everything"

(Oscar Wilde)

About your living expenses being "only slightly more than half of what a full-time Wal-Mart employee on minimum wage earns"; what you need to see is that compared to the Walmart employees - since you have had money in the past, you may probably already have the "stuff" that makes life very comfortable (physically and mentally)- a nice car (probably paid for), a nice home (that you feel safe in), very nice clothes, nice shoes, education=future opportunity, etc. And what you don't have or need (I'm guessing) you can probably find the means if needed (downgrade your car and/or home, cash out IRAs, 401Ks etc) to get it.

True, having worked full-time on an honest-to-goodness career all through college, I graduated owning condo with lots of equity, a nice car (paid for), 401Ks, and plenty of stock investments. That's where being industrious and frugal had got me by the age of 24. But without income and in the midst of a weak housing market and a crashed financial market, I had to sell the condo and cash out all my investments (at the bottom of the market) to finance a business venture that I'd committed to just two months before getting laid off. The problem is, I've been unemployed so long (and coming from real estate development at my experience level, am less employable than a new college grad) that even my liquidated savings are running low, I can't continue to finance the venture and pay rent, and it's unclear whether I can keep it going. The outlook is bleak.

I have a few remnants from the good ol' days. My computer, mattresses, a desk, a chair, a dresser drawer, and pots and pans. But those were mostly pass-me-downs to begin with. My wardrobe is getting to be worn, and more than a little threadbare in places. The nice car incurred severe mechanical damage in February and had to be junked; I'm borrowing my dad's 14-year-old jalopy in the mean time, but it is a gas guzzler. ...better than nothing. And I now live in a 3/1 duplex unit without a living room and have two roommates: a flamboyant gay guy and a Macedonian. It's an odd trio.

Hopefully the Army will take me out of this hell. (Yes, I just said that.) Some medical history might prevent it, though...we'll find out pretty soon. If not, then I suppose that a Wal-Mart type job would be acceptable...except that there's not a Wal-Mart very near me. Too bad...

I guess you better read the fable about the the ant and the grasshopper... again.

The moral of the story as I have lived it is that the ant's foodstores are prone to rot or wash away, and that the grasshopper will try eat the ant if the ant isn't paying close attention. I'd have been way better off if I hadn't been such a compulsive investor through the best days of my youth. I could've lived it up and traveled the world, then declared Chapter 7 and walked away scot-free. I didn't. And I regret it.

Edited by TheNiche

2 or 3 Walmarts in 1/4 of the state? And you claim that this has decimated the economy? I'll let your comment speak for itself.

I am not sure why your "automatic assumptions" are valid and mine are not. You "automatically assume" that a Walmart will put Heights retailers out of business (though you do not seem to automatically assume the same for Walmart's alter ego, Target), and you further "automatically assume" that I have not visited the local stores to see their prices. While I freely admit that I do not shop at Urban Soles, it is not because of their prices. They do not sell what I want. And therin lies the rub. The small stores sell what the big boxes will not. There is no danger whatsoever...despite your sniffing to the contrary...of Walmart displacing a single Heights store. Every store you've mentioned carries food or product not carried by Walmart. The only stores impacted by Walmart will be Target, Kroger, HEB and Fiesta, those that sell the everyday mundane plastic crap and staples that are sold at big stores for low prices. Any person of even ordinary intelligence knows that you shop at Walmart when service and quality are not a priority, when the plastic forks are the same everywhere, and only the price matters.

2-3 in 1/4 of the state. one being in my hometown. 1 decimating the economy of that town, the other being in a city with 5x the population of said town. i said that the non-walmart communities continue to thrive.

but your next comment proves to me that you just want to argue with me and you do not truly read what i say because I said not once but TWICE in this thread/the "yale" thread that I do not believe a Walmart will hurt local Heights businesses and I said why. After that, I mentioned the different reasons that I dislike Walmart as a company and most of those reasons have to do with the fact that their policies keep the poor poor. I believe in helping the poor get out of poverty and Walmart is on the other side of that issue for me. I think they are a problem, not a solution.

There are affordable groceries in and around the Heights- Fiesta for example. And there is a Walmart 10-15 minutes away already.

Edited by heights_yankee

Oh, really? According to the Census Bureau, there are 5,255,844 firms with a payroll and that have fewer than twenty employees. To be generous, I'll assume that there are two partners from separate households for every such small business, that none of these small businesses are merely legal entities controlled by larger firms, and that no owner of a small business is ever "upper class" or "lower class". That would mean that only 9.4% of all American households would be considered small business owners (and again, this is being extraordinarily generous). I dare you to advance a definition of the "middle class" wherein 9.4% of people are its majority.

It's also interesting to note that these small firms employ 21,197,087 persons, just 18.4% of all employed persons; yet their payroll only accounts for 15.5% of the national total, meaning that small businesses tend to pay their employees less than medium- or large-sized businesses.

The next time you hear an elected official refer to small businesses as "the backbone of our economy", you will know that they are trying to trick you. Don't fall for it. Big businesses got big because they are more efficient; higher productivity translates to a higher material standard of living.

The breakout of businesses with up to 99 employees is probably what constitutes the small businesses that Heights Yankee may be referring to which is around 30%. Large businesses tend to pay their CEO very- very high compared to the average worker. The ratios have changed dramatically between execs and the average worker since the 50s....ie - since 1950, top executives earned (salary, bonus, stocks, incentives) 24 times the average worker's , 122 times in 1990 and 550 times in 2009. Honestly don't think the same ratio stands for small businesses (<100 employees). Who is tricking whom?

Edited by CleaningLadyinCleveland
  • Like 1

2-3 in 1/4 of the state. one being in my hometown. 1 decimating the economy of that town, the other being in a city with 5x the population of said town. i said that the non-walmart communities continue to thrive.

Retailers do not an economy make (or break). The town's economy is based upon where it draws its money (i.e. claims to resources) from, whether that's by selling manufactured goods, agricultural products, or providing services to non-local tourists. Beyond that...the townsfolk decide what to do with their earnings.

There are affordable groceries in and around the Heights- Fiesta for example. And there is a Walmart 10-15 minutes away already.

Fiesta doesn't usually have the best price. And the particular Wal-Mart you mention is more like a 40-minute round-trip for those of us just to the east of you; and the only closer Wal-Mart is also not especially convenient and is obsolete.

I just don't get it. Why would you deny Wal-Mart to someone who values it when you've already acknowledged that it isn't going to impact your neighborhood's unique businesses (not to mention that it's not even in your neighborhood)? I wouldn't go around denying you a Bed, Bath & Beyond or a Crate & Barrel just because I see their wares as overpriced and unnecessary and feel uncomfortable inside their stores. Why not reciprocate?

That's one way to frame it. The quality of life issue does seem to be the primary point of contention for one side, but spite is an askewed mischaracterization of those arguing from the other side.

Well, I was speaking from my perspective (ie "it seems"). But I suppose if you're going to present your opinions as fact, there's nothing I (or anybody) can say that contradicts you.

I think convenience and price would have been a better description, but I know that would have interfered with your love of hyperbole.

Wow. Project much?

It's happened before. Usually there's more in consideration than simply that a handful of people hate Walmart (ie. ecological or cultural concerns with the construction site).

The vocal minority doesn't have the right to dictate the lifestyle for everyone, and when it comes to Walmart, if they think they'll be able to turn a profit, they'll build the store.

Now THIS is a good example of framing and mischaracterization, right on cue. Thanks for a good laugh!

True, having worked full-time on an honest-to-goodness career all through college, I graduated owning condo with lots of equity, a nice car (paid for), 401Ks, and plenty of stock investments. That's where being industrious and frugal had got me by the age of 24. But without income and in the midst of a weak housing market and a crashed financial market, I had to sell the condo and cash out all my investments (at the bottom of the market) to finance a business venture that I'd committed to just two months before getting laid off. The problem is, I've been unemployed so long (and coming from real estate development at my experience level, am less employable than a new college grad) that even my liquidated savings are running low, I can't continue to finance the venture and pay rent, and it's unclear whether I can keep it going. The outlook is bleak.

I have a few remnants from the good ol' days. My computer, mattresses, a desk, a chair, a dresser drawer, and pots and pans. But those were mostly pass-me-downs to begin with. My wardrobe is getting to be worn, and more than a little threadbare in places. The nice car incurred severe mechanical damage in February and had to be junked; I'm borrowing my dad's 14-year-old jalopy in the mean time, but it is a gas guzzler. ...better than nothing. And I now live in a 3/1 duplex unit without a living room and have two roommates: a flamboyant gay guy and a Macedonian. It's an odd trio.

Hopefully the Army will take me out of this hell. (Yes, I just said that.) Some medical history might prevent it, though...we'll find out pretty soon. If not, then I suppose that a Wal-Mart type job would be acceptable...except that there's not a Wal-Mart very near me. Too bad...

The moral of the story as I have lived it is that the ant's foodstores are prone to rot or wash away, and that the grasshopper will try eat the ant if the ant isn't paying close attention. I'd have been way better off if I hadn't been such a compulsive investor through the best days of my youth. I could've lived it up and traveled the world, then declared Chapter 7 and walked away scot-free. I didn't. And I regret it.

That's very nice of your father to loan you a car....sorry to hear of your misfortunes. You've succeeded before - you can do it again (that's what can differentiate you from the Walmart employees)- just try to keep quiet and not dwell on what once was - no one wants to hear about it and it won't help you right now... "Failure is simply the opportunity to begin again, this time more intelligently." Henry Ford

...and one more Henry Ford quote that applies to this forum, "If there is any one secret of success, it lies in the ability to get the other person's point of view and see things from that person's angle as well as from your own."

The breakout of businesses with up to 99 employees is probably what constitutes the small businesses that Heights Yankee may be referring to which is around 30%.

Granted, I wish that there was a smaller increment than 20-99, but being what it is...my feeling is that that's a medium-sized firm. When a firm has enough staff to take an entire floor of an office building, that's not exactly mom-and-pop in my mind. But hey, these terms like "small business" and "middle class" are so subjective, anyway, as to render the discussion meaningless. That's another valid criticism of HeightsYankee's rant, so thank you.

Large businesses tend to pay their CEO very- very high compared to the average worker. The ratios have changed dramatically between execs and the average worker since the 50s....ie - since 1950, top executives earned (salary, bonus, stocks, incentives) 24 times the average worker's , 122 times in 1990 and 550 times in 2009. Honestly don't think the same ratio stands for small businesses (<100 employees). Who is tricking whom?

Wal-Mart has 2.1 million employees, or approximately 21,212 times the number of employees per CEO than a 99-employee "small business".