Walmart Supercenter At 111 Yale St.

HeyHatch

Walmart at Yale & I-10: For or Against  

160 members have voted

1. 1. Q1: Regarding the proposed WalMart at Yale and I-10:

• I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live within a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am FOR this Walmart
    • I live outside a 3 mile radius (as the crow flies) and am AGAINST this Walmart
    • Undecided
  2. 2. Q2: If/when this proposed WalMart is built at Yale & I-10

• I am FOR this WalMart and will shop at this WalMart
    • I am FOR this WalMart but will not shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart but will shop at this WalMart
    • I am AGAINST this WalMart and will not shop at this WalMart
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Q3: WalMart in general

• I am Pro-Walmart
    • I am Anti-Walmart
    • I don't care either way
    • Undecided

This poll is closed to new votes

As a homeowner in the Heights, I feel ill after reading that.

I don't necessarily want wider streets. From my reading, it seems that Ainbinder/Walmart doesn't care about drainage issues (no detention ponds?). I don't think traffic on Heights will be impacted too much (too many stoplights to make it a through-street, plus it doesn't connect to 610), but I believe Yale will just be awful, and Washington will be worse too. I think their concern for asthetics is just talk, and the final design will be a standard bigbox Wallyworld.

*sigh* :(

They have to build retention ponds. It's in COH building codes. If they don't build the ponds to be visible, then that means simply that they've submerged them... which is good. It's less of an eyesore then.

As noted in the link above, the developer hasn't even done a traffic study, and you think I have to have one in order to make plainly obvious points to anyone who lives in the neighborhood and drives the streets? No one has posted links to a traffic study showing the additional lights, turn lanes and traffic will have no adverse impact on the Washington/Heights/Yale area. As it currently is, the intersections at Yale/Heights and Washington can barely move rush hour traffic through.

Welcome to urban living. Traffic's a bjtch inside the loop. Get over it or join me in the 'burbs. Those are your two options. With development of any kind will come an increase in traffic. This charge is hardly unique to Walmart.

And it doesn't take a traffic engineer to see how bad the current traffic plan is. There will be two lights at I-10 and Yale for feeder traffic. Then, just .13 miles south of that, there will be new lights for an extended Koehler St. The additional Koehler St. lights will be just a 1/4 mi from the lights for Center St. That means from Yale, just north of I-10, to Washington there will 5 sets of traffic lights within 1/2 mi. Also, the proposed extension of Koehler will have three lights within under .1 mi. High traffic from Wal-Mart could grid-lock across Yale and Heights, which would then build back to feeder road traffic. And that doesn't even take into consideration how people will make left turns from Koehler. When the time is right, those of us who oppose the development will commission our own traffic studies. But, for now, it doesn't take a traffic engineer to be able to look at what is proposed and see that it is completely unreasonble.

Have you driven downtown lately? It has traffic lights every .1 mile too. And the traffic on the north/south streets there get much worse than that on Yale. Again, urban living has its drawbacks. I don't understand how you can live in the center of a city and not expect development to happen.

As for the location, just look at a map. The proposed Yale location is roughly 4 miles from I-10 and Silber and 4 miles from I-45 and Crosstimbers. Take a compass and draw circles around each location, and you will see the overlap is generally around 2-3 miles out. That means that most people living near the proposed Yale location will still have a Wal-Mart within a few miles.

I don't get it. There are three Targets inside the loop and one directly outside the loop in Meyerland. None of those are more than 5 miles from another Target. That means their spheres of influence overlap at 2.5 miles too. So what? Are you an agent of Target? I can't comprehend how the charges you level against Walmart as destructive are somehow acceptable business practices when Target does the exact same things. Is it because they offer more chrome-plated kitchenware that looks better in your hip house in your hip neighborhood than does Walmart? I just don't get it.

Unfortunately, if you are going to require definitive proof before you decide whether to support or oppose the Wal-Mart, you will end up finding out first hand what the burden will be when the Wal-Mart is completed. By then, it will be too late. There are numerous success stories of people opposing a new Wal-Mart, but not so much luck trying to get a finished Wal-Mart to get out of town.

Success in preventing a Walmart relies more in proving a negative ecological or cultural impact of the construction than in a feckless Facebook petition. As that land has been developed for 100+ years now, and now sits ravaged as an empty and overgrown wasteland, there is zero ecological or cultural value to be destroyed there. The negative impact of this store is zero. On a positive note though, it does give a certain type of people something other than "Free Mumia" benefits to rally around.

Traffic's a bjtch inside the loop. Get over it or join me in the 'burbs. Those are your two options.

From my experience, traffic inside the loop is dramatically better than in the suburbs. I'd take a flood or train wreck in Montrose/Heights over the average day in woodlands/katy/pearland.

I feel that by not having a walmart and half a dozen redlights at every interstate exit that traffic is better inside the loop.

• Like 2

Traffic is WAY better in the loop. Because the streets are grid patterns, not planned communities with one entrance/exit. Backup or accident on one street? Move a block over and drive around. Find different through-streets. Everyone has their favorite option, this keeps traffic spread out.

In contrast, go out to Cypress and try to drive north. You have two road options. One is under construction. That's it. Wait in line with everyone else who needs to use the same road to get home to their subdivision. Yes, it's faster to zip around in the suburbs where there are fewer lights, but not if everyone else is trying to do the same thing!

• Like 3

Just curious, because it was a done deal when I moved here, but did the Heights show this much opposition to the Target development? I suppose it was more a Woodland Heights/Norhill issue, since our neighborhoods are closest.

Seems to me they are very similar in location and aesthetics. And my neighbors were thrilled when that Target opened.

As far as Sawyer Heights, the traffic is pretty contained. Everybody gets off 10, goes shopping, gets back on 10. Not too terrible. It can get backed up during weekends, holidays, but it seems that the parking lot is where most of the traffic gets stuck. I even biked on Watson/Taylor to shop at Target before the completion of the bike path, and traffic wasn't that awful.

I have trouble buying the argument that a big box development will kill the Washington corridor revival. Big Boxes don't tend to stray more than 1/2 mile from the freeway frontage. If anything, I'd argue that Washington Ave businesses might do better, if Joe and Jane Wal-Mart shopper decide to go explore the neighborhood a bit and decide to check out some of the eating establishments, for instance.

It may seem like a small difference but the location is not the same at all. I would bet my bottom dollar that if this Walmart was going to be built where they tore down warehouses on Studewood, back by Arne's, there would be a lot less resistance. Studewood is a pretty big, busy street and the Taylor/Sawyer exit was barely used by neighborhood residents before the Target was built. In contrast, this development will be right in the middle in an area with noticeable, existing congestion issues relative to the rest of the area. North bound at Washington, Yale is only one lane. There are several different factions at work here: I hate everything Walmart-ers; I don't want any big box development in the neighborhood-ers, and I don't like the idea of that development in this location-ers.

• Like 2

Traffic is WAY better in the loop. Because the streets are grid patterns, not planned communities with one entrance/exit. Backup or accident on one street? Move a block over and drive around. Find different through-streets. Everyone has their favorite option, this keeps traffic spread out.

In contrast, go out to Cypress and try to drive north. You have two road options. One is under construction. That's it. Wait in line with everyone else who needs to use the same road to get home to their subdivision. Yes, it's faster to zip around in the suburbs where there are fewer lights, but not if everyone else is trying to do the same thing!

I could not agree more. My sister, bless her heart, lives in Humble. We go out there a lot because she has a pool but I nearly grind my teeth flat every time. There are some areas where the feeder road is 5 lanes wide but every commuter needs to go right and you can only turn from one lane. It takes 3-5 red light cycles to make a right hand turn. That has never happened to me in Houston, even in the worst Galleria rush hour traffic.

I would bet my bottom dollar that if this Walmart was going to be built where they tore down warehouses on Studewood, back by Arne's, there would be a lot less resistance.

I agree. Would have zero problem with Walmart in that location.

It may seem like a small difference but the location is not the same at all. I would bet my bottom dollar that if this Walmart was going to be built where they tore down warehouses on Studewood, back by Arne's, there would be a lot less resistance. Studewood is a pretty big, busy street and the Taylor/Sawyer exit was barely used by neighborhood residents before the Target was built. In contrast, this development will be right in the middle in an area with noticeable, existing congestion issues relative to the rest of the area. North bound at Washington, Yale is only one lane. There are several different factions at work here: I hate everything Walmart-ers; I don't want any big box development in the neighborhood-ers, and I don't like the idea of that development in this location-ers.

I suppose if you set your mind to it, you can convince yourself of anything. The Sawyer Target development, which is much larger than the proposed Walmart development, is situated on a 2 lane road (expanded to 4 lanes right in front of the development), yet no one has a problem with traffic. Studewood is 4 lanes, but is a major thoroughfare that becomes extremely congested at Washington and I-10, yet the suggestion is that no one would complain of a Walmart there. The Yale location fronts a 4 lane road, with an additional 4 lane road only 1 block away, yet traffic will be a nightmare. No traffic counts are provided to supoort this claim, no traffic studies have yet been completed, but these aposters are SURE that traffic will be terrible.

Knowing that the City will not deny Walmart on false traffic claims, and City Council is FAR more interested in the increase in property taxes from the current $80,000 per year to the future $200,000 per year, in addition to the 1% sales tax on $50 million in annual sales, or $500,000, I am confident that there is a local neighborhood Walmart in my future. The industrial look architecture sounds interesting, the repaved streets in and around the store sounds good, and knowing that I can load up on hurricane supplies at one store a mile away sounds great. I'm thinking the Walmart opponents better start asking for extra trees in the parking lot, because this store is getting built.

• Like 1

As for the location, just look at a map. The proposed Yale location is roughly 4 miles from I-10 and Silber and 4 miles from I-45 and Crosstimbers. Take a compass and draw circles around each location, and you will see the overlap is generally around 2-3 miles out. That means that most people living near the proposed Yale location will still have a Wal-Mart within a few miles.

Actually it is 6.1 miles to Northline location if you "look at a map" and stick with the roads that you have to drive/bike. You can make it in 5.7 miles if you go up Yale to 610 and even in 5.4 miles if you take Yale all the way to Crosstimbers, but neither of these routes is practical when you have I-10 and I-45 available. BTW, this is from directly from Google Maps. Your stating that it is 4 miles would be stretching it.

The distance to Silber is roughly 4.2 miles as previously stated.

Actually it is 6.1 miles to Northline location if you "look at a map" and stick with the roads that you have to drive/bike. You can make it in 5.7 miles if you go up Yale to 610 and even in 5.4 miles if you take Yale all the way to Crosstimbers, but neither of these routes is practical when you have I-10 and I-45 available. BTW, this is from directly from Google Maps. Your stating that it is 4 miles would be stretching it.

The distance to Silber is roughly 4.2 miles as previously stated.

I drove yale to Crosstimbers and got just over 4.5 Anyone living north of 20th is closer to that location. Anyone living south of 20th would have an extra few minutes to drive to either Silber or Crosstimbers. The point is that the burden of the Yale location is unwarranted when there will be two new locations within very close proximity. We are not talking about making people drive 30-40 minutes to have access to a Wal-Mart supercenter. We are talking about an extra 5-10 minutes max.

From my experience, traffic inside the loop is dramatically better than in the suburbs. I'd take a flood or train wreck in Montrose/Heights over the average day in woodlands/katy/pearland.

I feel that by not having a walmart and half a dozen redlights at every interstate exit that traffic is better inside the loop.

Well good. Considering traffic is so much better in the loop and alternative routes are readily available everywhere, then it appears to me the traffic congestion argument can be finally put to bed.

Well good. Considering traffic is so much better in the loop and alternative routes are readily available everywhere, then it appears to me the traffic congestion argument can be finally put to bed.

Traffic is better because there are not Wal Marts with half a dozen red lights at every interstate exit. Developments like this will bring the suburban traffic congestion to an area that currently doesn't have it.

• Like 1

Traffic is better because there are not Wal Marts with half a dozen red lights at every interstate exit. Developments like this will bring the suburban traffic congestion to an area that currently doesn't have it.

I'm not quite certain how you arrived at the number of six traffic light for EACH exit. Regardless, you have to encounter a traffic light to get from one side of 10 to the other now anyhow. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I really don't see how adding a Walmart will affect your life any more than any other development... most especially with traffic. Just take one of the numerous alternative routes available to you if traffic gets out of control.

• Like 1

I'm not quite certain how you arrived at the number of six traffic light for EACH exit. Regardless, you have to encounter a traffic light to get from one side of 10 to the other now anyhow. Perhaps I'm misunderstanding you, but I really don't see how adding a Walmart will affect your life any more than any other development... most especially with traffic. Just take one of the numerous alternative routes available to you if traffic gets out of control.

[/

The new street connecting Koehler and 2nd will have lights at yale and heights and the new feeder road will add some lights to Yale and I-10 which would bring the total lights up to four I guess instead of six.

I bicycle to work and this is the bike trail, I am not aware of a safe alternative route to cross I-10. This stretch of Heights is already the most dangerous part of my commute and I feel that putting a wal mart on top of it without adequately considering the bike trail would adversely affect me.

On the other hand if they did not build the connector road and made Heights Blvd south of I-10 look like Heigths Blvd north of I-10 I would be all for it. I simply do not believe the bike trail will be adequately considered.

Edited by J008
  • Like 1

The new street connecting Koehler and 2nd will have lights at yale and heights and the new feeder road will add some lights to Yale and I-10 which would bring the total lights up to four I guess instead of six.

I bicycle to work and this is the bike trail, I am not aware of a safe alternative route to cross I-10. This stretch of Heights is already the most dangerous part of my commute and I feel that putting a wal mart on top of it without adequately considering the bike trail would adversely affect me.

On the other hand if they did not build the connector road and made Heights Blvd south of I-10 look like Heigths Blvd north of I-10 I would be all for it. I simply do not believe the bike trail will be adequately considered.

Crossing under I-10 on the hike & bike trail is way easier, unless you aren't heading toward downtown.

I simply do not believe the bike trail will be adequately considered.

On what do you base this presumption? Walmart has no construction within the inner loop on which to determine precedent. Your presumption is based purely on emotional conceit and contains zero facts.

As for the lights, I still don't get it. How is this different than any other thru street connecting Heights to Washington across I-10? Besides (and again), your argument with regards to traffic is against development in general, not against Walmart. Any development on the lot in question will affect traffic, whether it's a Walmart, an HEB or some mixed-use pseudo-urban mid-rise housing development with ground floor retail. It really doesn't matter what it is. You should just be grateful the developers and Walmart are on the hook for most of the costs of infrastructure upgrades. If Yale, which is a cruddy, pothole-filled stretch of pavement, will be redone with no costs further than tax abatements to the Houston resident, then good for us and good for Walmart. It already sounds like they're acting like more than responsible neighbors.

And while I've never used it, I'm almost certain there's a dedicated bike trail just for people like you who wish to cross I-10 without risking their lives. Isn't it over by Studemont? I'm certain there's a thread about it somewhere on HAIF. (Edit: Nevermind, 20th filled in the gaps here.)

Edited by AtticaFlinch

This might sound silly, but I emailed Trader's Joe and asked them to come to Houston, TX. I think they would do well near the Heights as opposed to Wal-Mart. You never know, it might work :)

If you want to suggest a location for Trader's Joe, go here: http://www.traderjoes.com/about/location-requests-form.asp

If you have never heard of Trader's Joe, it's kind of like a Whole Foods, but will more reasonable prices. They have locatoins in about 20 states, but none in Texas. People rave about it.

Agree, I am heading to Greenway and previously to Galleria so no luck for me.

If the feeder additions include sidewalks you could take that down to Shepherd, other than that I think heights is your safest crossing. Crossing at Shepherd now sucks because you have to cross it at some point, either over the ROW on Durham or over the bayou on Shepherd. There aren't sidewalks on both sides there, it makes it suck. Past that it's easy to shoot down one of the small streets parallel to Shepherd and get anywhere. I kind of doubt the feeders will have sidewalks the whole way though, since it'll be elevated most of the way.

I hope they build a good bike/walk path to cross I-10 and the bayou on Yale, and connect it to the trail along 7th. Why ride farther to Target to pay more when I can ride to Walmart for more interesting people-watching?

This might sound silly, but I emailed Trader's Joe and asked them to come to Houston, TX. I think they would do well near the Heights as opposed to Wal-Mart. You never know, it might work :)

If you want to suggest a location for Trader's Joe, go here: http://www.traderjoe...quests-form.asp

If you have never heard of Trader's Joe, it's kind of like a Whole Foods, but will more reasonable prices. They have locatoins in about 20 states, but none in Texas. People rave about it.

Greatest. Store. Ever.

I'd let them build in my backyard if I thought they'd come to town. Literally, my backyard.

• Like 1

BTW, there's also a "Houston Wants a Trader Joe's" Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php?ref=home#!/group.php?gid=45801548627&ref=ts

Every time we go back to Oakland we pick up Thai cashews, olive tapenade and "magic cheese" (some kind of cheese with shallots in it.

• Like 1