University of Houston Football Stadium

although, i am a LIVE and DIE TEXAS LONGHORN fan..  i am also a HUGE HOUSTON COUGAR fan!  upon a daily basis, a receive facebook updates upon the TDECU Stadium.  i had the foremost

pleasure of viewing this new gorgeous stadium turf design just a few day's ago.  subsequently, i long for the daily video updates that usually arrive toward the very end of the work day.  actually, upon today.. the workers

may be nearing completion as per the end zone turf installments.  upon my view, anyone of us HAIF members, that long for the day that our fair city fully reaches is full potential, as the world class city that we think it already is..

then we should have absolutely no problem being extremely proud.. as per the ongoing success of our city's colleges / universities.  

i just would like nothing more, than for all of houston's institutions of higher learning, to be the very best that they may be.  but upon the other hand.. i am a TEXAS LONGHORN.  HOOK'EM!  burnt-orange-icon-pack-1-l-78x78.png

Edited by monarch
  • Like 2

I'll remind both the Bears and the Farmers that things were so terrible in their football programs that each school turned to UH to hire away a coach. 

I remember those days vividly and am glad things have turned around (for Baylor at least).  Still, with a son at UH and potentially some of his brothers and sisters going as well, I'm glad to see UH do well.

That's still 75% commuting. I would also disagree on ROI because Rice, A&M, and Rice are considered much better universities. They look at UH students as the ones who couldn't get in the better schools, or in the rare case, took full scholarships.

Fortunately, ROI isn't calculated based on what Rice students think of things.  One of the things that really pumps up ROI is having the Investment portion of that be small, something that UH excels at.

Fortunately, ROI isn't calculated based on what Rice students think of things.  One of the things that really pumps up ROI is having the Investment portion of that be small, something that UH excels at.

Well said. I'm a UH graduate working for one of the largest energy companies in the world, earning well into the six figure range. Without comparing it to anyone else's, I would say that my return on investment was beyond any expectation I could have had while pursuing my degree. I work with many graduates from Ivy League schools where the level of education they received is second to none. I'm sometimes envious of the schools they attended since they are among some of the schools I myself would have liked to attend or that I would like for my son to eventually attend. I benefited from UH's open enrollment policy. Although I was always a good student in high school I didn't become serious about my education until after I got to college and excelled at UH, earning a spot in the top 1% of college students in my classification during my sophomore and junior years, which qualified me for a few scholarships. The point of this diatribe is that I now work together with people that graduated from these Ivy League schools, earning the same as or more than many of them, and my career path is still leading me up the ladder unencumbered by my UH education. So for anyone who still believes that there isn't any real value in a degree from UH, explain it to me again so that I may understand better since I don't get it.

After re-reading previous posts it would appear that this diatribe is not responding to any actual question of the value of a UH education or ROI. Wish I had returned to the previous page to see what the on going conversation was about. My bad.

Edited by TBooze

Well said. I'm a UH graduate working for one of the largest energy companies in the world, earning well into the six figure range. Without comparing it to anyone else's, I would say that my return on investment was beyond any expectation I could have had while pursuing my degree. I work with many graduates from Ivy League schools where the level of education they received is second to none. I'm sometimes envious of the schools they attended since they are among some of the schools I myself would have liked to attend or that I would like for my son to eventually attend. I benefited from UH's open enrollment policy. Although I was always a good student in high school I didn't become serious about my education until after I got to college and excelled at UH, earning a spot in the top 1% of college students in my classification during my sophomore and junior years, which qualified me for a few scholarships. The point of this diatribe is that I now work together with people that graduated from these Ivy League schools, earning the same as or more than many of them, and my career path is still leading me up the ladder unencumbered by my UH education. So for anyone who still believes that there isn't any real value in a degree from UH, explain it to me again so that I may understand better since I don't get it.

After re-reading previous posts it would appear that this diatribe is not responding to any actual question of the value of a UH education or ROI. Wish I had returned to the previous page to see what the on going conversation was about. My bad.

I would say that has more to do with 1% than UH but congratulations nonetheless

That's still 75% commuting. I would also disagree on ROI because Rice, A&M, and Rice are considered much better universities. They look at UH students as the ones who couldn't get in the better schools, or in the rare case, took full scholarships.

Let em tell you a real life story my Longhorn friend. When I was a High School senior I started looking at various architecture schools in the state of Texas. Of course I looked at UT-Austin, Texas A&M , and the University of Houston.

I ultimately narrowed it down to the University of Texas and University of Houston. I scratched out Texas A&M because they did NOT offer an accredited undergraduate architecture program....that means according to the NAAB (The National Architectural Accrediting Board) they felt that the undergraduate program offered at Texas A&M DID NOT MEET MINIMUM ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS.

This means any graduate of Texas A&M 's undergrad program CANNOT sit for the ARE (Architectural Registration Exam) because the board does not recognize them as a University that is proficient enough.

Now..Texas A&M does offer an accredited graduate program...but not an accredited undergraduate program.I just checked and they Texas A&M has yet to be elevated to accredited status for its undergrad program.

The University of Houston has offered an accredited undergraduate program consistently since 1959! I ultimately went with the University of Houston because of the city of Houston and the assets in the city.

And about entrance into the University of Houston....I once sat in on an alumni board meeting where they discussed selecting incoming students into the architecture program. I can dispel your myth on this one as well.....at they meeting they discussed that they received about 1,200 applications for admission and that they would only accept about 100 of them. That's about an 8% acceptance rate.

I just wanted to speak the truth because their are a lot of biased stereotypes against the University of Houston. The reality is that the majority of companies in the city of Houston feature many University  of Houston graduates in pivotal management and leadership positions. All you have to do is look around!

Edited by shasta

August, I'm wondering if this guy even knows what ROI means?

If an MBA at UH costs you $35,000  but it costs $120,000 at Rice then the average Rice MBA grad would have to find a job that pays twice or triple as much as the average UH MBA grad to keep pace....and that's if there are no student loans involved. It could happen but does the AVERAGE Rice grad make 3X what the average UH grad makes?

ROI literally means return on investment and can be calculated yearly or over a period of time based on the amount of investment put in to get that higher paycheck.

The reason so many UH alums are successful after they graduate is because their degree has a higher ROI because tuition is lower and because the students are more mature going in (they don't pick a school solely on athletics and tradition). Because of that they typically carry less of a debt load when they graduate. Many of hem cash flow their tuition because they work while they attend school. This means less of their paycheck is going to loans after school thus maximizing their ROI.

Edited by shasta
  • Like 2

UH is a good school because it gives its students a good education.  As Shasta pointed out it has a very good architecture program, it has a top clinical psych program, its law school is consistently ranked among the best in Texas, and it is one of three Tier 1 research universities in Texas (orange and maroon being the two others).  It is a long way past being Cougar High.

FWIW, I don't have a dog in this hunt.  Although I've lived in Houston since Lewis Cutrer was mayor, I didn't go to any of the schools y'all are scrapping about.  

I attended UH for graduate school. I applied to four schools, UH, Texas, Columbia, and Cal Berkeley for my graduate program. Was admitted to UH, UT, and Columbia. I decided against Columbia due to the overall cost and I really didn't want to live in NYC. Chose UH over UT because even though UT was rated about 20 spots higher nationally in this particular program, I had friends that were enrolled at UT at the time who were terribly unhappy with their field placements. Many had to travel weekly to Dallas or Houston to fulfill their requirements without a travel stipend. Meanwhile, over at UH, the field placement options were so much better locally, with massive ties to the TMC, various school districts, non-profits, and more. UH even let me create my own field placement in a field that wasn't offered. It didn't hurt that I actually like Houston better than Austin. 

UH's reputation is based upon old ideas about race and class. People who look down upon the University reveal more about themselves than any actual knowledge of academia. 

• Like 2

I can't wait to watch a game in this new stadium. It looks great already. They were showing aerial images on Channel two the other night and it looks fantastic, and that was before the turf was in. Can't wait for the season to start.

Let em tell you a real life story my Longhorn friend. When I was a High School senior I started looking at various architecture schools in the state of Texas. Of course I looked at UT-Austin, Texas A&M , and the University of Houston.

I ultimately narrowed it down to the University of Texas and University of Houston. I scratched out Texas A&M because they did NOT offer an accredited undergraduate architecture program....that means according to the NAAB (The National Architectural Accrediting Board) they felt that the undergraduate program offered at Texas A&M DID NOT MEET MINIMUM ACADEMIC REQUIREMENTS.

This means any graduate of Texas A&M 's undergrad program CANNOT sit for the ARE (Architectural Registration Exam) because the board does not recognize them as a University that is proficient enough.

Now..Texas A&M does offer an accredited graduate program...but not an accredited undergraduate program.I just checked and they Texas A&M has yet to be elevated to accredited status for its undergrad program.

The University of Houston has offered an accredited undergraduate program consistently since 1959! I ultimately went with the University of Houston because of the city of Houston and the assets in the city.

And about entrance into the University of Houston....I once sat in on an alumni board meeting where they discussed selecting incoming students into the architecture program. I can dispel your myth on this one as well.....at they meeting they discussed that they received about 1,200 applications for admission and that they would only accept about 100 of them. That's about an 8% acceptance rate.

I just wanted to speak the truth because their are a lot of biased stereotypes against the University of Houston. The reality is that the majority of companies in the city of Houston feature many University of Houston graduates in pivotal management and leadership positions. All you have to do is look around!

Maybe that's the case for that particular major but schools are ranked where they are for a reason.

I attended UH for graduate school. I applied to four schools, UH, Texas, Columbia, and Cal Berkeley for my graduate program. Was admitted to UH, UT, and Columbia. I decided against Columbia due to the overall cost and I really didn't want to live in NYC. Chose UH over UT because even though UT was rated about 20 spots higher nationally in this particular program, I had friends that were enrolled at UT at the time who were terribly unhappy with their field placements. Many had to travel weekly to Dallas or Houston to fulfill their requirements without a travel stipend. Meanwhile, over at UH, the field placement options were so much better locally, with massive ties to the TMC, various school districts, non-profits, and more. UH even let me create my own field placement in a field that wasn't offered. It didn't hurt that I actually like Houston better than Austin.

UH's reputation is based upon old ideas about race and class. People who look down upon the University reveal more about themselves than any actual knowledge of academia.

It's UH people that always have the inferiority complex. I don't even hear UT or Rice or A&M people talk about UH. Nothing wrong with UH I'm happy it's improving but it's not really in the same league as a university overall.

It's UH people that always have the inferiority complex. I don't even hear UT or Rice or A&M people talk about UH. Nothing wrong with UH I'm happy it's improving but it's not really in the same league as a university overall.

Yes they never refer to UH as Cougar High...ever lol

Edited by shasta
  • Like 1

Maybe that's the case for that particular major but schools are ranked where they are for a reason.

Again..we are arguing what perception/ perceived stature/ ranking of a University vs how your major  translates to actual value in the market place.

The market (the actual gauge of what a person's education is worth) has been very kind to UH graduates..that's all I'm saying.

Whether the University , as a whole, appears high on a list may be determined on a number of variables (some UH can control and some they can't...like access to the states PUF fund) but UH graduates most definitely have value in the marketplace and especially in Houston. So much so that something like 70 or 80% of UH graduates never have to leave the city of Houston when looking for professional jobs.

Passing up a qualified candidate who has all the intangibles because they didn't graduate from a University ranked high in a magazine is laughable.

My point is that people are going to start to look at the investment of a college education differently. The actual return on your investment is going to be more important that "prestige" in a magazine, especially when that same degree costs 2x, 3x, or 4x the price of tuition at a more reasonable quality University.

This is why schools like UH..... and North Texas.... and UCF.... and USF are slowly taking a piece out of the historical flagship Universities of the state. This trend will continue and the academics at those schools has continued to improve dramatically each year...rankings take time to catch up.

In fact, I am a fan of Shark Tank, and to date, the most impressive product pitch was from a graduate of the University of Central Florida......a school, according to Slick Vik, that  shouldn't be able to produce such talent because they don't rank high in the magazines rankings.

• Like 1

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You came on a thread about a new stadium and dropped insults at the school where it is being built. You therefore lose the right to claim that the people speaking up for the school have an inferiority complex. 

I'd argue, as would most pop psychologists, that the one showing the inferiority complex is the one dropping the insults.

• Like 3

Sorry, but you can't have it both ways. You came on a thread about a new stadium and dropped insults at the school where it is being built. You therefore lose the right to claim that the people speaking up for the school have an inferiority complex.

I'd argue, as would most pop psychologists, that the one showing the inferiority complex is the one dropping the insults.

I didn't drop insults I said the majority of UH students commute and generally they can't get in or perhaps can't afford a better school. That being said I'm happy it's improving good for it.

Hmmm... could "can't afford a better school" be perceived as insulting?  Yep.  In a heartbeat.  Once again I am glad for my neutrality in what used to be the Southwest Conference.

Now can y'all quit demonstrating your idea of School Spirit and get back to discussing the stadium?

• Like 2

This thread is for discussions about the stadium construction. Where did we get off topic? However, I love the new turf and cant wait to see the first game. I thought I read the stadium was expandable. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Edited by HOUCAJUN