Harris County looks for cheaper jail cells

T 2 THA C

Harris county Inmate overflow  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What should Harris County do with Inmate overflow?

• Send to Louisiana parishes for $38 per day
    • Send to one of Texas many high vacancy jails in the $42 to $48 per day range
    • Reduce local jail overcrowding through reforms

Radack may have odd tastes in recreational facilities for his district, but I tend to agree that a system of competitive bidding ought to be formalized. I'd also suggest that costs of transportation be automatically considered as part of the bid price.

(Also, T 2 THA C, "their" is not the same as "there".)

I've got an extra bedroom available, and I'll take the going rate to lease it to the county.

You gotta do what you can to make ends meet these days.

You've got a bare room with bars and shackles?

Dude, you know how to party, I didn't think you were that type. :)

What "reforms" do you suggest?

If they're convicted, send them out of state, but I do agree that if they are still tied up in courts that they should have access to local counsel.

Expansion of house Arrest and pretrial services for non violent minor offenses. I read in the chron a while back how some inmates are in Harris County awaiting trial longer then the actual max sentence is for the crime commited

Expansion of house Arrest and pretrial services for non violent minor offenses. I read in the chron a while back how some inmates are in Harris County awaiting trial longer then the actual max sentence is for the crime commited

I'd also recommend decriminalizing all illicit drugs as well as a number of other non-violent offenses.

I'd stiffen the penalty for white collar crimes though, so I doubt my solution would solve the overcrowding problem. However, it would put the most dangerous criminals behind bars.

House arrest isn't always practical in some cases, and there have been instances where they simply alter/take off the monitor and vanish if they don't like the outcome.

In most cases, if circumstances put you at the scene of a crime where you're arrested, odds are you need to alter who or where you hang out with.

Little sympathy for them there.

I'd also recommend decriminalizing all illicit drugs as well as a number of other non-violent offenses.

Harris County is not a federal or state legislative entity. For them to expect those kinds of changes and develop their capital budgets as such would be utterly and hopelessly naive.

Harris County is not a federal or state legislative entity. For them to expect those kinds of changes and develop their capital budgets as such would be utterly and hopelessly naive.

I wasn't aware reform was limited exclusively to the local level.

I wasn't aware reform was limited exclusively to the local level.

That was the subject of the article and the issue at hand. That was one of the options given in the poll. Federal or state solutions to county problems are unrealistic for the sake of budgeting and operational planning.

That was the subject of the article and the issue at hand. That was one of the options given in the poll. Federal or state solutions to county problems are unrealistic for the sake of budgeting and operational planning.

Ah, now I see it, right at the top. A little reading comprehension would go a long way here - "What should Harris County do..."

Well then, considering federal and state reform is off the table here, I suggest the powers that be at Harris County discourage the various county police forces from arresting minor drug offenders and other non-violent offenders. If they ain't hurtin' anybody, leave 'em alone.

I'll take the Jacksonian view on this. If the federal and state governments make the bad laws that clog the jails, then the federal and state governments can enforce the bad laws and house the inmates on their own.

Niche:

What is the difference between this and federal immigration law? If we can choose to not enforce those laws why can't we choose to make our own drug laws and ignore the federal ones? We could just tell the police that they have no right to ask if you are a pot user or not and that they have no right to investigate to find out if you are.

Please don't anyone take this as an anti-immigration stance. This is a pro legalize drugs stance.

What is the difference between this and federal immigration law? If we can choose to not enforce those laws why can't we choose to make our own drug laws and ignore the federal ones? We could just tell the police that they have no right to ask if you are a pot user or not and that they have no right to investigate to find out if you are.

To be honest, this is out of my league. I'm deferring to whatever RedScare says about it.

We could make it a 420 sanctuary city. That would probably help out the tourist industry quite a bit.

And we could employ the former inmates as tour operators:

"Don't buy weed from that dude. He only sells bags of oregano."

Archived