Memories Of Missouri City

zaphod

I am a student majoring in urban planning /minor in public admin, and in one of my classes we had a discussion about the history of Stafford. As you are all aware it is a unique municipality, with its own school system and a large sales/commercial tax base in contrast with its small population that allows it to provide public amenities with zero property taxes and a low sales tax. I have always been semi-familiar with the area, my mom grew up in the Fondren Park subdivision off Airport Dr. and technically in Missouri City and visiting family involved driving through or making a run to the grocery store, etc. Anyways, perusing google earth I noticed for the first time a place marked as "Fifth Street, TX", which apparently is unincorporated Fort Bend County and Stafford's ETJ. It begins right across the road from the Stafford schools/city hall complex and goes until the subdivisions off Cartwright in Mo. City.

The community has a fairly low median household income of 29k, and per capita income of 9k. It is 90% Hispanic or Latino. Basically a low income enclave. What's its history? How did it not get annexed by either Mo. City or Stafford and why were so many trailer parks built in the area?

I'm curious if anyone here has any knowledge of local history?

• 7 months later...

not sure. one thing that popped into mind is that it's always been there... trailer parks need lots of land. cheap land. so back in the day when this thing started Missouri city and Stafford where not all the hype ppl think they are now.

• 1 month later...

one of the main reasons why Stafford has a high commercial to residential ratio is because of their school district. I'm not saying it's a baddistrict, but, when they split off from Ft Bend ISD, which was one of the highest ranked districts in the state at the time, they screwed themselves.

There was a lot of residential areas planned for Stafford- the developers pulled out, and it took years before they finally built commercial property there. Meanwhile, areas around Stafford exploded in side and population- Missouri City, Sugar Land, even The Meadows grew by 30%

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to What Is The History Behind The 5th St. Area
  • The title was changed to Memories Of Missouri City

Archived