Houston Police Department Sgt. Ken Garnett

Sgt. Garnett was a hero of mine when I was a wee one. I remember him on TV during the 1960's, especially on Kitirik. He and Sgt. Tiny Romound were always what I thought Police Officers were supposed to be. I have seen info on the late Sgt. Romound on line, but not Sgt/Lt Garnett. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Sgt. Garnett was a hero of mine when I was a wee one. I remember him on TV during the 1960's, especially on Kitirik. He and Sgt. Tiny Romound were always what I thought Police Officers were supposed to be. I have seen info on the late Sgt. Romound on line, but not Sgt/Lt Garnett. Is there anyone that can point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Ken Garnett was seriously injured during a traffic stop around 1967 and had some brain damage. After recovering I believe he returned to HPD. I think he died about 10 years after that and may have commited suicide.

Ken Garnett was seriously injured during a traffic stop around 1967 and had some brain damage. After recovering I believe he returned to HPD. I think he died about 10 years after that and may have commited suicide.

Yes. He was a regular fixture on TV with the patch over his eye and sergeant stripes all the way up his arm. He vanished from TV pretty much after making Lieutenant and was, I think, transfered to juvenile division. I remember that he had a terminal illness and ended his own life. But for a guy so well known in that era (on a par with Tiny Rouman) there isn't anything about him on the net that can be found...at least none that I have. I was hoping someone could point me in the right direction.

He and Tiny Rouman(sic)(who I met once when I was very small....that cop went on forever) were the reasons why I tried to pursue a career in law enforcement.

• 8 years later...

When I was a child a neighbor had then Sgt. Garnett over as a guest. I believe they were members of the same church. All the kids on the cul-de-sac were invited over to meet Sgt. Garnett who was in uniform as I clearly remember. This was before the accident so he did not wear an eye patch at the time.

Of course all adults seemed big to me at the time - even my 5'-4" 115# Mom. Sgt. Garnett looked really big in his uniform and his side arm certainly contributed to that. The neighborhood kids (probably about 12-14 in all ) sat on the stairs while Sgt. Garnett gave the usual spiel about traffic safety, etc. and answered some questions that cross children's minds. I do remember him as being very approachable, soft-spoken, and at ease in front of his audience. Learning of his accident and later death was upsetting to say the least. It ranked up there with hearing that the curator of the Burke Baker Planetarium, Armand Yramategui (for whom the Armand Nature Center was named) had been murdered.

• The title was changed to Houston Police Department Sgt. Ken Garnett

Archived