Best places to shoot photos of Downtown Houston Skyline?

jb4647

I'm going to take some photos Sat of someone who would like to have their hummer in the photo with the downtown skyline in the background. The only place that I could think of so far is Elanor Tinsely Park on Allen Parkway. Do you have any other suggestions?

On a related note, when the hell did they cover up the pedestrian bridges with chickenwire? I seem to recall being getting some really good photos back in the day from them.

Also, the corner of Fannin and McGowen makes a great visual. In the background can be the skyline and in the foreground can be the Hummer and the SEARCH Houston homeless shelter. It's an awesome juxtaposition.

There is a St. Joe's parking garage at St. Josephy pkwy and Caroline.

I've been up there for regular downtown shots.. but i'm pretty sure up on the roof you could get some angles with the Cathedral and skyline behind ya... you might want to check it out first though.

PS.. I'd lie and tell everyone you've changed the car to a Prius... maybe you'd get some more helpful responses.

I'll check out those locations! Didn't think driving a hummer would get such a poor response here in H-town. Boston maybe but Houston?

Regarding the Sabine St. bridge, is there space to park on it and shoot photos without disrupting traffic?

How easy is it to access St. Joe's Parking Garage?

Any other suggestions are welcome!

PS.. I'd lie and tell everyone you've changed the car to a Prius... maybe you'd get some more helpful responses.

No joke... Maybe if you guys got a hummer every once in a while you wouldn't be so uptight.

No joke... Maybe if you guys got a hummer every once in a while you wouldn't be so uptight, and about a car nonetheless.

Cry me a river. :)

I just feel sorry for future hummer drivers, now they have to go door to door to tell people they're arseholes. ;)

When I've accessed the St. Joe garage before.. it's been on foot.

I imagine if you want to bring a Prius up there, you'd have to pay.

Of course.. the benefit of taking a Hummer or Canyonero up there is the ability to just smash past the pay booth.

marge.jpg

I'm going to take some photos Sat of someone who would like to have their hummer in the photo with the downtown skyline in the background. The only place that I could think of so far is Elanor Tinsely Park on Allen Parkway. Do you have any other suggestions?

The Lockwood bridge over the rail yards in 5th Ward.

East/west streets west of Lockwood between Harrisburg & Navigation. (Try to capture a shot with the downtown skyline and a rooster or chicken crossing the road.)

Wander around UH. (Try to get on the roof of one of the old Science & Research buildings, the new lofts, or Moody Towers; otherwise, use Agnes Arnold Hall)

Robinson Stadium

Bayou St. & Swiney St.

Southmore Blvd. bridge over SH 288

East/west streets east of Taft, north of W. Gray, and south of W. Dallas (Try to capture shotgun shacks in the foreground.)

Half of your competitors will try using the Sabine Street or Elanor Tinsley Park vantage points. Don't bother.

Park off of Almeda and walk.

Gonna have to poke the camera lens through the chain link fence, though.

I think the OP is looking for a place to take a picture of a Hummer with downtown in the background.

I think the OP is looking for a place to take a picture of a Hummer with downtown in the background.

I missed that. Thought it was some kind of competition. Guess I made it up. Strange too, considering how much of the thread was dedicated to mocking the Hummer. I'm not sure what a Hummer has to do with an urban area. Seems like the FWD is better suited to rural areas. Or the beach. I'd suggest going there, not here.

The only conceivable reason that a Hummer should be in an urban area would merit it being parked in front of dilapidated shotgun shacks, showcasing the source of the money that financed it. But then it's got to be an obnoxious color and have spinny rims.

I missed that. Thought it was some kind of competition. Guess I made it up. Strange too, considering how much of the thread was dedicated to mocking the Hummer.

It's unfortunate they didn't want to take a picture of their Prius instead. Then we could have mocked a different level of pretension.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Was going to do the Sabine st bridge but it was closed Sat/Sun.....shot a ton of photos at Discovery Green Instead. Will finishing up on Wed at Sabine....

For the record, the Hummer is one of those smaller ones. ;)

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Was going to do the Sabine st bridge but it was closed Sat/Sun.....shot a ton of photos at Discovery Green Instead. Will finishing up on Wed at Sabine....

For the record, the Hummer is one of those smaller ones. ;)

Another newly created spot is the vacant lot on Jensen near the T-intersection of Clinton Dr. They recently demolished some industrial buildings there. You get a real nice shot with the Juice Box and the downtown skyline. You may even get a shot of the hummer being stolen! (Sorry - couldn't resist!)

• 1 year later...

Dunno.. I just kind of wander around.. :wacko:

Sunday morning is a good time if you want to cut down the

traffic. But I've also gone in the afternoons.. Naturally,

the light is a little warmer early or late.

A few I've snapped.. Note that the one with the church,

I've cloned out the background buildings with sky to reduce

visual clutter.. :/ That was probably my favorite one of the

bunch.. Such a contrast of buildings.. :blink:

town4.jpg

dt102.jpg

dt103.jpg

dt104.jpg

lines33.jpg

lines11.jpg

dt101.jpg

dt108.jpg