Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
zaphod

The Boulevard Project

Recommended Posts

I agree with J_cuevas713. You have to look to the future and this is an important part of our infrastructure that desperately needs alternatives.

Your looking at whats here now as far as retail and amenities. We are expecting 10 million people here in 20 years and a lot of that growth is going to take place in Uptown. If we don't add these types of alternative transit systems now we'll be in a jam later. Besides these will help guide the development and growth in the future.

I think eventually people that work in uptown will be offered parking in the transit lots on the transit centers at Katy and Bellaire and then catch the buses into the post oak blvd. freeing up the streets for shoppers and through traffic. Similar to what is done in the med center. 

You just have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. This will be a positive in the long run.

Remember all of the Main Street Rail nay sayers cries!  "It hasn't done anything for development on Main."

Yeah, and the worlds flat!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, bobruss said:

 

I think eventually people that work in uptown will be offered parking in the transit lots on the transit centers at Katy and Bellaire and then catch the buses into the post oak blvd. freeing up the streets for shoppers and through traffic. Similar to what is done in the med center. 

You just have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day. This will be a positive in the long run.

 

 

I rode the bus from the Northwest  transit center into the galleria every weekday for several years. It was very slow due to all the traffic. This BRT lane will not just be an improvement in the long run, it will be a huge improvement as soon as it is complete.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That’s for the interchange project right? However, just west of 610 and Westpark there’s a bent that’s been constructed perpendicular to the Westprk Tollway. I assume it’s for the BRT which I guess means it’s gonna have an elevated section that goes above 69? Must be why they cleared out the Chick-fil-A there on Post Oak/Richmond

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, BigFootsSocks said:

That’s for the interchange project right? However, just west of 610 and Westpark there’s a bent that’s been constructed perpendicular to the Westprk Tollway. I assume it’s for the BRT which I guess means it’s gonna have an elevated section that goes above 69? Must be why they cleared out the Chick-fil-A there on Post Oak/Richmond

Correct

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Doing a little catch up here... will the bridges involved in this project be able to hold light rail trains? What was ever decided about that?

 

Thanks.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, H-Town Man said:

Doing a little catch up here... will the bridges involved in this project be able to hold light rail trains? What was ever decided about that?

 

Thanks.

 

From looking at the pdf'ed CAD files, They are certainly wide enough to hold rail. At one point I looked at the overpass for the Redline near Hardy Yards. They employ a similar build tech for how one builds overpasses for cars. They should be able to add gauge tracks ontop of the road deck at some point. I would think only think thing that needs to be done is possibly bulk up the foundation or brace the connects of the columns with the road deck (vibrations from moving railcars, and extra forces). Not really undo able. I think the only thing that prevents it is the size of the city/txdot wallet.

Edited by Luminare

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm trying to understand. Does the bus lanes split the freeway when it exits at underneath 610 to Post Oak?

Screenshot_20181108-141533_Drive.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The bus lanes fly over the freeway and dive "into" the freeway... ultimately coming out in (like literally inside) the underpass where 610 intersects Post Oak.

 

FYI, 610 SB is completely closed all weekend around Woodway.  All 610 SB traffic (all 8 lanes) is being pushed to the one-lane Woodway exit and along the 610 frontage.

 

It's 10pm and it's backed up for a mile and a half.  Avoid.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SkylineView said:

The bus lanes fly over the freeway and dive "into" the freeway... ultimately coming out in (like literally inside) the underpass where 610 intersects Post Oak.

 

FYI, 610 SB is completely closed all weekend around Woodway.  All 610 SB traffic (all 8 lanes) is being pushed to the one-lane Woodway exit and along the 610 frontage.

 

It's 10pm and it's backed up for a mile and a half.  Avoid.

 

wow

 

Maybe there will be a fender bender near as well :lol:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/8/2018 at 2:17 PM, kennyc05 said:

I'm trying to understand. Does the bus lanes split the freeway when it exits at underneath 610 to Post Oak?

Screenshot_20181108-141533_Drive.jpg

 

That is pretty amazing though.  So a vehicle will directly bypass the 610 traffic/freeway to each Metro station? That's incredible! It could literally save an hour of traffic

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, SkylineView said:

The bus lanes fly over the freeway and dive "into" the freeway... ultimately coming out in (like literally inside) the underpass where 610 intersects Post Oak.

 

FYI, 610 SB is completely closed all weekend around Woodway.  All 610 SB traffic (all 8 lanes) is being pushed to the one-lane Woodway exit and along the 610 frontage.

 

It's 10pm and it's backed up for a mile and a half.  Avoid.

Thank you for the clarification!!!!!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/7/2018 at 0:47 PM, Luminare said:

From looking at the pdf'ed CAD files, They are certainly wide enough to hold rail. At one point I looked at the overpass for the Redline near Hardy Yards. They employ a similar build tech for how one builds overpasses for cars. They should be able to add gauge tracks ontop of the road deck at some point. I would think only think thing that needs to be done is possibly bulk up the foundation or brace the connects of the columns with the road deck (vibrations from moving railcars, and extra forces). Not really undo able. I think the only thing that prevents it is the size of the city/txdot wallet.

 

didn't someone at some point say that the entire system was built to hold LR, but they were putting in buses for now, so the system could more easily/cheaply be upgraded in the future?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, samagon said:

 

didn't someone at some point say that the entire system was built to hold LR, but they were putting in buses for now, so the system could more easily/cheaply be upgraded in the future?

That is correct. I think this is the smartest way to transition Houston. My thought is if we can just get a link between Downtown/Midtown and the Galleria and links to the airports, Houston will have a nice system with buses helping to link people along these main routes. At that point we can start to ask for commuter rail to the burbs. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, samagon said:

 

didn't someone at some point say that the entire system was built to hold LR, but they were putting in buses for now, so the system could more easily/cheaply be upgraded in the future?

 

I thought I heard the opposite at one point, that due to some political gobbletygook they were going to prohibit light rail on this alignment and the bridges couldn't be built to hold rail.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, august948 said:

 

I thought I heard the opposite at one point, that due to some political gobbletygook they were going to prohibit light rail on this alignment and the bridges couldn't be built to hold rail.

Yeah, that's I read too. Basically a disagreement between TxDOT and METRO. It's worth noting that the HOT lanes in the Katy Freeway WERE designed to hold rail but they were never guaranteed it. Basically, METRO got a say in the design in the Katy Freeway due to the original bus lanes being built with federal funds, and they decided to spend a bunch of money to over-engineer them in the chance that they'd be converted to rail later (if that ever actually happened, the HOT lanes would probably need to be rebuilt or repaired anyway from age).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Is anybody else disappointed with the width of the sidewalks?  For a such a major project on a signature boulevard, you would think they would build a sidewalk that could accommodate more than 2 people walking side by side.  I guess it's an improvement over what was there before...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, yaga said:

Is anybody else disappointed with the width of the sidewalks?  For a such a major project on a signature boulevard, you would think they would build a sidewalk that could accommodate more than 2 people walking side by side.  I guess it's an improvement over what was there before...

The sidewalks seem wider than just 2 people. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

The sidewalks seem wider than just 2 people. 

 

Early on, Swamplot reported that the sidewalks were going to be 12-feet wide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I mean it's not as wide as some sidewalks downtown but it's def a nice wide sidewalk to encourage pedestrian activity. I also think having those shopping centers set back so far ruins the dynamic. If they were right up to the sidewalk I think we would be more than pleased. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I mean it's not as wide as some sidewalks downtown but it's def a nice wide sidewalk to encourage pedestrian activity. I also think having those shopping centers set back so far ruins the dynamic. If they were right up to the sidewalk I think we would be more than pleased. 

 

That will happen eventually.  Post Oak started out as a suburban boulevard but has been slowly urbanizing, particularly in the last 20 years or so.

 

Matter of fact, looking at the size of that shopping center on a map, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it got redeveloped into a city centre type multi-use setup.  It's a huge piece of land in one of the busiest parts of Houston.

Edited by august948

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

There’s a freeway pillar on Westpark near S. Rice. That's apart of the 610 rebuild? Pretty far off from the main course.

 

Might be part of the rebuild of the 69/610 intersection.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not just on Post Oak, either.  It's all over uptown wherever they have those light posts.  They glow blue at night and look really nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/16/2018 at 4:43 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

There’s a freeway pillar on Westpark near S. Rice. That's apart of the 610 rebuild? Pretty far off from the main course.

I think that’s the one I mentioned from my other post that looks like it will have a bridge deck perpendicular to Westpark but can’t be for the interchange rebuild and must be for the bus lanes

Edited by BigFootsSocks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I looked into that. There will be a “T” ramp built by Metro which will go from HOV lanes to the transit center to be built in Bellaire. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Naviguessor said:

I looked into that. There will be a “T” ramp built by Metro which will go from HOV lanes to the transit center to be built in Bellaire. 

Is this in some schematic somewhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It’s on the TXdot website for the I-69/I-610 interchange reconstruction project. 

Sorry that I don’t have the actual address to share right now. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The sheer number of people working on this every day is amazing right now.  There are teams on both sides and the middle down the entire 3 mile stretch.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This bus looks weird, like a bendy bus and a light rail train got drunk at a transit stop one night

https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24x78x2emiszcx2ehtr.g00.chron.com/g00/3_c-6bbb.hmwts.htr_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fx78.miszc.htrx2fumtytx78x2f27x2f97x2f19x2f60891404x2f8x2f6579c6579.oulx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

 

But excellent the boulevard will be done soon!

Quote

 the buses at the center of the project will not start rolling for at least another year as officials grapple with roadblocks threatening to push the final route three years past its original completion date.

 

No! Why could that be?

Quote

Of particular concern is the timing of work south of Richmond, where Post Oak morphs into the southbound Loop 610 frontage road and goes under I-69 before re-emerging at Westpark Drive. Referred to by transportation officials as the “portal” along with the underpass that carries northbound frontage traffic beneath the interchange, it is the critical link for Post Oak buses headed to the new Bellaire transit center.

Because the enormous interchange project — estimated to cost $259 million — was bid without specifics and incentives to keep the portal open to buses, Metro may need a workaround.

of course it wasn't bid to keep the brand new BRT open.  Cars take priority 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, cspwal said:

This bus looks weird, like a bendy bus and a light rail train got drunk at a transit stop one night

https://c-6rtwjumjzx7877x24x78x2emiszcx2ehtr.g00.chron.com/g00/3_c-6bbb.hmwts.htr_/c-6RTWJUMJZX77x24myyux78x3ax2fx2fx78.miszc.htrx2fumtytx78x2f27x2f97x2f19x2f60891404x2f8x2f6579c6579.oulx3fn65h.rfwpx3dnrflj_$/$/$/$/$/$/$/$

 

But excellent the boulevard will be done soon!

 

No! Why could that be?

of course it wasn't bid to keep the brand new BRT open.  Cars take priority 

So honestly I'm a little confused as to what they mean by "portal." Which part of the route are the referring to?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, cspwal said:

Where Post Oak Blvd goes under 59

https://www.google.com/maps/@29.7285104,-95.4633383,17.25z

It's probably called "the portal" because its the start of the Boulevard project as opposed to regular bus lanes going into the new transit center (which I didn't see a mention of a timeline for that)

Ahh ok so the entire project could be delayed because of this? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They wouldn't be able to run fast, frequent buses to the new transit center, and those long lightrail/bus hybrids might not be able to make U-turns on Post Oak

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, j_cuevas713 said:

Wow so I read the article again and are they expecting to be delayed until 2022 because of the Loop construction? I’m so confused and annoyed smh 

 

I believe that's only "if the interchange construction complicates the bus route so severely . . . "  A typical Chronicle mish-mash that just leaves one more confused.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Vy65 said:

The trees and giant silver arches look horrible together. Like some 60s sci-fi comic.

Huh? Idk how they clash that hard lol

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...