The Boulevard Project

zaphod

On 4/9/2016 at 4:35 PM, MaxConcrete said:

The connection underneath the overpass at Post Oak road will slow down buses and preclude future options, like opening up the West Loop structure to vanpools or HOV.

Umm, maybe because the structure is intended for buses, rather than two-person "carpools"?

• 2 weeks later...

The green option is much better, Less expensive, way more practical, and theres plenty of room to execute it. Throwing it on top of the freeway just to go maybe 1/4 mile just seems like a waste of time. If it was a straight shot from Post Oak to the Katy Bus terminal then that would be a different story.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm a huge fan of the idea presented above.  It gets rid of the bus impact on the 610 frontage-Post Oak intersection, which is already functioning poorly during rush hour. 

Site as it is below (facing east).  Pic by me.  

IMG_3932_zpsoen0p2vr.jpg

Edited by SkylineView
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 7/11/2016 at 8:26 AM, Sunstar said:

Apologies if I missed this somewhere earlier in the thread, but in lieu of future rail, could they install overhead wires and turn this into an electric bus lane? It would be far less intensive than building rail. 

They claim they can't, but they most certainly can and probably will. It will depend on ridership. At least this BRT is a start.

• Like 1

Given the title of this thread, I want to explicitly state that I am FOR transit improvements along the Post Oak corridor, my home for 7 years.

Asphalt laid from Uptown Park east.  Utility improvements ongoing along the north / west side at various places.  Tree removal in front of Astoria today (not visible).

2016 08 27: Pic by me.

IMG_4251.JPG

• Like 7

• 3 months later...

Given the title of this thread, I want to explicitly state that I am FOR transit improvements along the Post Oak corridor, my home for 7 years.

First pours occurred this week.  Also (not pictured) the arches over Post Oak at Four Oaks Place have been lifted and new pieces welded to the bottom.  The bottom is not yet attached to the ground.  

2016 12 17: Pic by me.

IMG_4662_zpsqqw9d5yq.jpg

• Like 6

43 minutes ago, Urbannizer said:

The parking lot here has a wall around the site with advertisement for a potential development. A website is listed but didn't catch it while passing by on I-610. Any have the scoop? 

I believe last time I drove by, it was a staging area for the bus line down Post Oak.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

its going to be a little hectic maybe during the process but wow i am blown away by this project and cannot wait for my neighborhood to be this beautiful...wow!!!

(i have lived and worked within a 2 block radius of Post Oak for the past 21 years!)

• Like 2

On 12/23/2016 at 11:17 AM, ArchFan said:

I'm really looking forward to having decent sidewalks along Post Oak.  Hopefully, Westheimer and San Felipe east of 610 will also be improved.  

Of course, there will still be the Russian Roulette of walking under 610 to get there ... 

There has to be a way pedestrians can cross without worry. Maybe if all of our highways had some sort of bridge? Idk

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

http://realtynewsreport.com/2017/03/05/the-boulevard-project-a-conversation-with-john-breeding-of-uptown-houston-district/

Realty News Report: Will South Post Boulevard continue to have six lanes?

Breeding: Yes. The Boulevard will be constructed in three phases and it is estimated to be completed in late 2018. Driveway access to properties along The Boulevard will be maintained at all times. Two lanes will be open in each direction in active construction segments and all traffic lanes will be open in non-active construction segments. We expect all six lanes will be completed by August 2018.

Realty News Report: Dedicated bus lanes will run in express lanes down the middle of the boulevard. Can you describe these buses? How do the bus riders access the buses?

Breeding: If we were a few years later, we’d be using Tesla buses! But in the first generation of operations, they’ll be articulated buses, painted to look similar to the light rail cars. The buses will have three door units – one front, one back and one in the middle. The bus will pull up to one of eight elevated platforms along The Boulevard and the doors will open. If you are using a wheel chair, you can roll from platform onto the bus or you can take your bike onto the bus, similar to light rail. There will be eight well designed stations over the two miles of Post Oak Boulevard, or The Boulevard as we call it.

Realty News Report: Does the plan offer improvements for pedestrians or cyclists?

Breeding: The real thrilling part of all this is what we are doing for pedestrians. We will expand the four-foot sidewalks along The Boulevard to 12-foot-wide pedestrian environments and more than triple the amount of trees. In essence, Post Oak Boulevard has 350 live oaks. When we finish, it will have over 1,000 and be a colonnade of green.

Realty News Report: Where are the terminus points of the express bus system?

Breeding: The real terminus for the bus system is wherever Metro’s Park & Ride system is. The system will take you to, say, Katy or Sugar Land. A new Uptown Transit Center will be built to serve the Westpark Tollway and Southwest Freeway, allowing commuters and visitors to use the Park & Ride lots along these corridors. The busses will come into and exit through the transit center, and take the short jaunt to The Boulevard. We’re building from I-10 to 59, and two miles of the four miles is on Post Oak Boulevard. We’re just connecting into the system.

Realty News Report: And the timetable for all of this?

Breeding: We are moving very quickly. We have a very aggressive schedule and we ahead of schedule. We have 93 percent of the right of way purchased. We awarded the contract for the first third of construction in July of 2016. People will be driving on three of those lanes on the southbound side soon and driving along all lanes by November. And, two days ago, we awarded $60 million worth of contracts to build from San Felipe to Richmond.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Triton said:

Does this project include the bus lanes that will be above 610?

They are two related projects.  Uptown is doing the lanes in Post Oak Blvd.  TxDOT and Metro are doing the lanes from Post Oak Blvd to the Northwest Transit Center. Last I saw, construction of the 610 bus lanes was anticipated to start in late 2017.

Edited by Houston19514
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/7/2017 at 0:20 PM, Houston19514 said:

They are two related projects.  Uptown is doing the lanes in Post Oak Blvd.  TxDOT and Metro are doing the lanes from Post Oak Blvd to the Northwest Transit Center. Last I saw, construction of the 610 bus lanes was anticipated to start in late 2017.

Thanks.

610 will now have two different remodel phases! Going to be a madhouse for the next decade.

The Elevated 610 West Loop Express Lanes and then this 610 Bus Lanes.

• 3 months later...

I'm pretty surprised this forum hasn't embraced this more. I'm really excited to have BRT in this city. Many of the great world cities use this service and San Francisco is building a couple of lines now. Chicago has the Central Loop BRT line that was finished recently. Knowing how much cheaper this is compared to rail, why not do the same down Richmond Ave or Washington Ave? Especially if it can easily be converted in the future. 

theboulevardproject.com

Edited by j_cuevas713
  • Like 5

I think you're right J-c.  An effective, more affordable and probably less politically volatile than Rail/Light Rail system could really be applied well to Houston to Houston's layout and needs.  If Metro were to propose a Major BRT system, I would get behind it, and stop complaining about lack of rail (although I still think we'd need express rail lines to the airports).