The Boulevard Project

zaphod

One teensy little thing though...

For those of y'all who keep mentioning underground trains, it would never work. Much of Houston was built on swampland, remember? Those floods that we get, the high water table, the silty sand underneath all the concrete, the fault line under Richmond Ave. that causes you to play out your "I'm riding a bull in the rodeo" fantasies as you bounce down it...

He was right in the article when he said that Metro's ridership is dismal. Driving around every day, (I drive for a living.) I hardly ever see a full city route bus. They just don't happen. Yes, the P&R buses get utilized, (somewhat) but that's a different kettle of fish.

Ok so your last paragraph isn't really debatable so much as it is totally false. Metro's ridership numbered have increased 11% from January 2015 to January 2016 as a result of the new bus implementation system. The P&R system is definitely used so much more than "somewhat" and the same goes for the Express networks.

• Like 2

One teensy little thing though...

For those of y'all who keep mentioning underground trains, it would never work. Much of Houston was built on swampland, remember? Those floods that we get, the high water table, the silty sand underneath all the concrete, the fault line under Richmond Ave. that causes you to play out your "I'm riding a bull in the rodeo" fantasies as you bounce down it... 

He was right in the article when he said that Metro's ridership is dismal. Driving around every day, (I drive for a living.) I hardly ever see a full city route bus. They just don't happen. Yes, the P&R buses get utilized, (somewhat) but that's a different kettle of fish.

Post less. 

• Like 5

In terms of underground rails, it probably would flood only under rare circumstances, such as 2001 Allison flooding or to a lesser extent floods last Memorial Day, but even Sandy flooded the NYC subways, so it's not a deal-breaker.

What would be a potential deal-breaker is dissolved oil under the surface, but the Uptown area never had noxious pre-EPA petrochemical plants and was predominantly farmland.

As Richmond, I'm not aware of the fault line (if it exists) but I always got the impression that it was in that state because of a combination of poor maintenance (which isn't unique, most of the roads have gotten really bad before getting replaced) and the fact that it got even worse (in the outer lanes) because of constant bus usage. A fault line problem would be obvious if it starts to fall apart even though the concrete (or asphalt) looks practically brand new, of which Richmond isn't the case.

• Like 1

Driving around every day, (I drive for a living.) I hardly ever see a full city route bus. They just don't happen. Yes, the P&R buses get utilized, (somewhat) but that's a different kettle of fish.

Not too sure about this.  Routes 41 and 76 are SRO on the way to and home from work every day.

Bus 82 is quite busy, too; I believe they are increasing its frequency to every 6 minutes at peak times to try to handle the ridership.

They are

adding even more buses to the Westheimer route, giving it a frequency of every six minutes during peak times. That would put it on par with the light rail Red Line 

I'm not sure when it is starting though.

Westheimer really needs some sort of heavier transit method - BRT, light rail, subway, elevated train, cable car - something

They are

I'm not sure when it is starting though.

Westheimer really needs some sort of heavier transit method - BRT, light rail, subway, elevated train, cable car - something

I've always thought a heavy rail subway under Westheimer from like Beltway 8 all the way into downtown would get great ridership. 

• Like 2

I've always thought a heavy rail subway under Westheimer from like Beltway 8 all the way into downtown would get great ridership. 

If I had a somewhat unlimited check book I'd do:

Elevated light rail west of S. Rice st (at grade in certain spots if possible / if there are long stretches without lights). Keep it in the median as there is plenty of street capacity for cars.

Underground light rail east of Sage......something like Boston's system.

That would save "some" $. But we're talking bazillions of dollars here.

Pipe dreams.....

• Like 1

If I had a somewhat unlimited check book I'd do:

Elevated light rail west of S. Rice st (at grade in certain spots if possible / if there are long stretches without lights). Keep it in the median as there is plenty of street capacity for cars.

Underground light rail east of Sage......something like Boston's system.

That would save "some" $. But we're talking bazillions of dollars here.

Pipe dreams.....

Heh, yea my fantasy system would likely cost like $25-30 billion, but it'd get amazing ridership.  Neither here nor there though. 

• 1 month later...

For anyone interested in the BRT lanes veing installed alobg Post Oak Blvd... the recent news is very positive... so excited to see this moving forward... the Attorney General basically washed his hands on the issue... I wonder how pissed off those who are against the BRT lanes are now? Lol

Uptown-houston.com

For anyone interested in the BRT lanes veing installed alobg Post Oak Blvd... the recent news is very positive... so excited to see this moving forward... the Attorney General basically washed his hands on the issue... I wonder how pissed off those who are against the BRT lanes are now? Lol

Uptown-houston.com

Is there an article that discusses this?

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Urbannizer said:

HAHAHA! Man there is no way they have a case. They are fighting tooth and nail with whatever they can. Wayne Dolefino!? HAHAHA! Dude needs to get a life.  

• Like 1

Hold on a second...... 

I dont know anything about this case but, it makes an allegation that certain policies where not followed and open meetings/records laws were similarly not followed in the procurement of parcels of land.  since I am not a lawyer and I have no idea about any local or State precedents, etc, I can't make a judgement on the efficacy of this lawsuit.  It might be spurious or it might have merit.   How can you judge it merits? 

I don't like the connection between the Post Oak bus lanes and the West Loop bus lane structure. The connection underneath the overpass at Post Oak road will slow down buses and preclude future options, like opening up the West Loop structure to vanpools or HOV. The proposed design is also more disruptive to the main lanes during construction.

http://houstonfreeways.com/Home/west-loop-bus-lanes

I attached an image of my suggested better design.

TxDOTs public meeting is Tuesday

610-bus-lanes.jpg

Edited by MaxConcrete
Fix diagram
  • Like 4

don't see how it could be related at all.

https://www.texastribune.org/2016/04/11/sec-charges-paxton-securities-fraud/

Paxton is named in the SEC's complaint along with William Mapp, the founder and former CEO of Servergy Inc. Paxton is accused of raising hundreds of thousands of dollars for Servergy without disclosing he was making a commission.

"People recruiting investors have a legal obligation to disclose any compensation they are receiving to promote a stock, and we allege that Paxton and White concealed the compensation they were receiving for touting Servergy’s product," Shamoil T. Shipchandler, director of the SEC’s Fort Worth regional office

• Like 1

15 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

No I'm speaking more on if it affects his ability to even look over any lawsuits filed. Like how does this effect him being able to do his job?

It doesn't. A conviction on his State charges would have more of an impact than the SEC complaint.