Falling Water - Who Has Been?

stolitx

I'm going to visit Falling Water later in June. Has anyone been? Tips for times to go or anything else? Lunch in the area? I'll be there on a Saturday but haven't gotten the tickets yet so not sure what time I will be going.

Even though its one of the most photographed and famous american houses ever.... photograph the hell out of it and get back to us.

Never been... but it's definitely one of those places i feel I want to see before I die.

Have fun dude.

I think earlier is better to avoid the crowds (which can detract a bit). Weekdays are better than weekends. Pittsburgh nearby is worth a day or two to explore. I liked the local Heinz history museum, Andy Warhol museum, ride at least one of the inclines, and the Grand Concourse Station Square Sunday Brunch with its amazing building. (http://pittsburgh.about.com/cs/restaurants/a/sunday_brunch.htm)

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/pittsburgh/2518010029.html

other tips

http://www.yelp.com/biz/fallingwater-mill-run

I went to Fallingwater in the summer of 2006. We got there about a half hour before it opened (10 I think)and still had to wait about an hour to get in. The basic tour is in groups of around eight and takes about an hour. You are NOT allowed to take pictures inside the house, rationale being they don't want anyone accidentally tripping over something not watching what they are doing. The basic tour takes you to most rooms and levels, the guesthouse, and then ends in with a short film about the Pennsylvania Conservancy in what was once the garage. As you are headed back to the Visitor's Center, there is a designated area for you to photograph the house's most famous exposure with the waterfall pouring out of it. I loved it. Although there has been restoration work throughout its history which the docent explains, for the most part it is original, with some flaws rather than museum perfect. It was all the more amazing to me that it was built in such a remote area so long ago. Something I missed by not leaving enough time was visiting the other FLW house in the area. Kentuck Knob is only about 10 miles away, and while less stunning and famous than FW, I would have liked to have seen it too. I hope to return someday for both.

It's a neat place in the middle of nowhere. About an hour and a half out of the 'Burgh. It is extraordinary that it was built when it was built way out in the sticks. The logistics of getting material and workforce must have been quite a battle. The place seemed to be aged and need of constant upkeep. Don't get me wrong, they do a good job of it considering the circumstances.

The 'Burgh is a great town. Plenty to do and places to eat. Mt. Lebanon is a great suburb just south of the CBD. Lots of neat old houses. Also, The Cathedral of Learning at the Pitt campus is friggin' awesome and worth stopping to ogle as is the view coming out of the Ft. Pitt Tunnell into downtown.

Have fun.

Thanks for the info. I travel to Pittsburgh quite a bit lately for work. So one of my trips in June I'm staying over the weekend to see FW and probably Kentucky Knob too. I really like Pittsburgh. Haven't explored as much as I would like to yet. But had some great food and a trip up the mountain. PNC Park and the Andy Worhol Museum are on my list of places to visit. Wish I could find a brewery that offered tours/samples. Only one I found only sells Growlers to take home.

For FW I'm leaning towards getting the "In depth tour" since they allow picture taking on that tour and you have more access to the house.

I went back in 2003 and was awestruck by it. It's kind of funny though when you walk up to the house. You see the roof and are looking down on it. The waterfall view is actually from below, looking up the mountain. The longer tour is so well worth it and you'll be able to take all the photos you want.

• The title was changed to Falling Water - Who Has Been?

Archived