I-10 Feeder Expansion

Anyone know what the plans are for how the new I10 feeder road will cross the hike and bike trail just northwest of Target? I haven't seen any plans but read that the new two lane feeder on the south side of I-10 is going to run from Westcott to Taylor (and on the north side, too).

From what I have seen it looks like the south feeder will be grade level until right before the trail, at which point it goes elevated to cross both the trail and the little ravine that sits between the Lofts and I-10.

Here's what the area in question looked like on Wednesday evening, May 19, as a gigantic crane was installing a light:

McRay crane

Lady worker, and the columns in the ravine

crane arm and light mast

I'm still not sure where I'm at on this. It did suck when I lived west of yale years ago and had to go all the way to Shepderd to get on I10 W.

My main concerns 1) more/easier access in and out of the neighborhood leads to more traffic and "mischief" 2) they will act as barriers at Heights and Yale which are currently very bikeable/walkable.

Thanks for the Leader link, Ari! I just saw the article last night. And, yes, I'm concerned about easier access to our area, too.

Does TXDot publish plans or other documents that show the work they are doing? It's hard enough to try and jump on I10 from one of the Heights side streets as it is. I'm also trying to visualize the detention pond at 7th and Allston. I thought all the DP's were going to be along the feeder.

As long as they leave the bike lane in at Heights, it should still be OK for bikeability. The lights control the traffic well enough.

Right now the bike lane is closed going through the intersection both directions, so cars and bikes have to share the road a little more than usual.

As long as they leave the bike lane in at Heights, it should still be OK for bikeability. The lights control the traffic well enough.

Right now the bike lane is closed going through the intersection both directions, so cars and bikes have to share the road a little more than usual.

i'm more concerned about the trail under i10 to target...

i'm more concerned about the trail under i10 to target...

I was wondering about it as well.

I would think the feeder road would have to be elevated there because of drainage issues; Then again, I'm not an engineer. (But I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ;))

• 1 month later...

From the HHA:

TXDOT has informed the HHA that they will be replacing the traffic lights with temporary lights at I-10 and Heights Boulevard on Thursday, July 22nd between 9 AM and 3 PM. They will have temporary stop signs and police officers to direct traffic, but we can expect some delays. TXDOT suggests that people may want to avoid the intersection while the work is in progress.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't understand why there HAD to be construction on I-10 West between the 45 junction and inside Loop 610. I'm specifically talking about in the Heights. I went shopping a few days ago at the Sawyer Heights Center (where Target is) and noticed bridge pillars and bridge beams right next to the mainlane freeway presumably for feeders from Studewood to Taylor. Another construction spot is between Shepherd/Durham and Yale. Why the hell would TxDot do another useless construction project? The freeway was fine the way it was without feeders for the most part. But now they are putting in more access roads that nobody is going to use.

If TxDot is going to do stuff like that in secret they might as well convert Pierce Street downtown to a feeder road for 45 Elevated. Does anybody HAIFer in the Heights know anything about this?

according to an official of a local neighborhood assoc, lots of the residents (don't know if "lots" is a majority or not) of the Heights and the gentrifying Washinton Ave area near Heights and Yale had wanted feeder roads for easier I10 access for themselves.

ironically, TxDOT's decision to build the feeders they said they wanted made a 25 acre plot inaccessible from the current fwy attractive to Walmart, and now those same residents are battling to keep Walmart out.

as grandma tried to tell you, be careful what you wish for...

Just to clarify, there was a strong push to NOT have them put the feeders in. The mayor and the city pushed back because they didnt want the $8M in "free" fed money to dissappear to another project outside of Houston. There was even a statement from the HHA stating the opposition.

according to an official of a local neighborhood assoc, lots of the residents (don't know if "lots" is a majority or not) of the Heights and the gentrifying Washinton Ave area near Heights and Yale had wanted feeder roads for easier I10 access for themselves.

ironically, TxDOT's decision to build the feeders they said they wanted made a 25 acre plot inaccessible from the current fwy attractive to Walmart, and now those same residents are battling to keep Walmart out.

as grandma tried to tell you, be careful what you wish for...

• 5 months later...

is there further clarification from TXDOT as far as what will be feeder rd, what will be elevated, etc? i have a home on bonner st in between yale and patterson near the north side of the highway.

now that they are constructing this i would think there would be final plans, but i can't find anything on TXDOT site.

• The title was changed to I-10 Feeder Expansion

Archived