Cheers Bar At 2400 Bagby St.

DrLan34

Cheers "Your Neighborhood Bar" (as advertised) is moving into where Open City use to be next to Tipsy Clover and El Patio. Looks like they are doing some pretty decent rennovations.

Hopefully this along with the new Farb Apartments down the street will revitalize the area a little bit...

I think having a decent Midtown is vital to having a walkable downtown area... We need a trolley out here too or something to take people to the train...

agreed, i take it all the time but i hear people compelain about less.

people need to just embrace the fact that walking is a part of life. a quarter-half mile walk wont kill anyone. People here have become too complacent. Get out and explore your surroundings

Cheers "Your Neighborhood Bar" (as advertised) is moving into where Open City use to be next to Tipsy Clover and El Patio. Looks like they are doing some pretty decent rennovations.

Hopefully this along with the new Farb Apartments down the street will revitalize the area a little bit...

I think having a decent Midtown is vital to having a walkable downtown area... We need a trolley out here too or something to take people to the train...

I think a trolly might be a good idea, but have the routes and locations where walking isn't as feasible but there is enough people that live/work in the area.

A good example would be a trolly that would circulate around the River oaks center to and from Main street or Richmond lines, or a have one that goes from one or two entrances (and points near there) of the ship channel to the harrisburg line. I'm sure once traffic is heavy enough, some routes might even be able to support a BRT in the future.

<br />I think a trolly might be a good idea, but have the routes and locations where walking isn't as feasible but there is enough people that live/work in the area.<br /><br />A good example would be a trolly that would circulate around the River oaks center to and from Main street or Richmond lines, or a have one that goes from one or two entrances (and points near there) of the ship channel to the harrisburg line. I'm sure once traffic is heavy enough, some routes might even be able to support a BRT in the future.<br />
<br /><br /><br />

I know that "Houston Midtown" has been asking people if they want a trolley service (just for midtown area) and i sent in some suggestions. Maybe if other people send in request we can actually make this happen. We need a walkable midtown to help downtown become a more vibrant area.

Let me know what you guys think.

Here is the website to Houston Midtown, you can fill out the survey and then submit your own suggestions. I hope they actually make this happen. Also, with HCC expanding and the potential for the Mix @ Midtown to grow, the trolley could be pretty useful.

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/

MidTown Trolley Route.pdf

Edited by DrLan34

They had a trolley type service when I moved here in 2001. I guess they don't have it any more. All my friends who worked downtown rode a free trolley/shuttle, and we always took the free shortstop shuttle to Astros games. Now that even more people live in midtown I would think this is more necessary.

<br /><br /><br />

I know that "Houston Midtown" has been asking people if they want a trolley service (just for midtown area) and i sent in some suggestions. Maybe if other people send in request we can actually make this happen. We need a walkable midtown to help downtown become a more vibrant area.

Let me know what you guys think.

Here is the website to Houston Midtown, you can fill out the survey and then submit your own suggestions. I hope they actually make this happen. Also, with HCC expanding and the potential for the Mix @ Midtown to grow, the trolley could be pretty useful.

http://www.houstonmidtown.com/

Looking at that PDF, I think having it go down Louisiana to Gray rather than Brazos would be much better, as it would go next to Randalls, making this thing more useful for every day usage, not just getting to and from bars/restaurants in the evenings. But unless it is a real trolley with tracks, then the route could be adjusted as needed.

Looking at that PDF, I think having it go down Louisiana to Gray rather than Brazos would be much better, as it would go next to Randalls, making this thing more useful for every day usage, not just getting to and from bars/restaurants in the evenings. But unless it is a real trolley with tracks, then the route could be adjusted as needed.

Personally, I like options #2 and #4. you can't make it parallel the Metrorail TOO closely, you gotta make people at least make an effort to walk out and about. I wish it could go a bit further south, but that wouldn't practical given the crossings needed.

The way I figure it, 3 "trolleys" would be needed to make this a somewhat reasonable wait, any more would be overkill unless there is a major event going on (rodeo, 4th of July, etc).

I think the reason why they got rid of the trolley's is because there wasn't enough ridership to justify the costs.

Personally, I like options #2 and #4. you can't make it parallel the Metrorail TOO closely, you gotta make people at least make an effort to walk out and about. I wish it could go a bit further south, but that wouldn't practical given the crossings needed.

The way I figure it, 3 "trolleys" would be needed to make this a somewhat reasonable wait, any more would be overkill unless there is a major event going on (rodeo, 4th of July, etc).

I think the reason why they got rid of the trolley's is because there wasn't enough ridership to justify the costs.

Guys, I really appreciate the feedback... ridership wait time really needs to be taken into account, i tried to find some routes that, although did not go everywhere, minimized ridership time.

I really think that we will now have enough ridership to justify the cost. Also, Farb Apartments development and the new Camden is/will bring a huge amount of people to an already beefed up midtown.

So if we get a few more comments, I'll take this to the Midtown development people. People on HAIF will probably have the best input in my opinion.

I personally like route #5 followed #2... #2 is quickest but #5 stops by the Mix and is still fairly quick...

Edited by DrLan34

Guys, I really appreciate the feedback... ridership wait time really needs to be taken into account, i tried to find some routes that, although did not go everywhere, minimized ridership time.

I really think that we will now have enough ridership to justify the cost. Also, Farb Apartments development and the new Camden is/will bring a huge amount of people to an already beefed up midtown.

So if we get a few more comments, I'll take this to the Midtown development people. People on HAIF will probably have the best input in my opinion.

I personally like route #5 followed #2... #2 is quickest but #5 stops by the Mix and is still fairly quick...

The route and frequency will tell the as to what is needed.

Perhaps after all the lines are completed, circulating "trolleys" might be a good idea for areas that are just beyond walking distance of the stations, such as "deep" midtown, montrose, and maybe river oaks along with those just beyond the end of line of the various future rail routes.

Then again, if Camden ever decides to build a sizable complex on it's superblock, ridership might actually require something along these lines:

Capoco_Future_Routemaster.jpg

The route and frequency will tell the as to what is needed.

Perhaps after all the lines are completed, circulating "trolleys" might be a good idea for areas that are just beyond walking distance of the stations, such as "deep" midtown, montrose, and maybe river oaks along with those just beyond the end of line of the various future rail routes.

Then again, if Camden ever decides to build a sizable complex on it's superblock, ridership might actually require something along these lines:

Capoco_Future_Routemaster.jpg

I agree, trolleys will definitely be a good idea once all the lines are completed, but i still think they can be useful for midtown before that is done. I'm going to try and bring up a route for those midtown development people about when city vista is done... The sooner we can get a trolley started, the more walkable midtown will become. As one of the earlier posters said, they use to have a trolley and he thought it was very useful, now midtown has even more people.

• 2 weeks later...

I think a trolley would be a disaster. I guarantee you the only people that would ride it would be homeless people and would make our vagrant problem just that much worse than it already is.

You can't let the homeless rule our lives... we've got to get away with this car-centric BS all the time... we need to venture out and take some steps to usable public transportation. Although washington has a better night life, i feel like midtown is still the best place to try and extend that walkability of our city outside of downtown.

If the homeless use it, whatever, we need to get people to the trains and make this city more walkable.

Although you can get to the train by walking a little ways almost anywhere in midtown, girls with high heels will not be willing to make the 15 min walk to take the train to go downtown from midtown on a friday or saturday night. i've experienced this.

I live just on the edge of the "mid-town" boundary and the trains stops are usable for me and although it can be a really warm walk in the early evening the bigger problem is getting back home very late at night. There are just too many odd ducks on the street to make it feel safe at that time of night with a date in heels or not. The only solution that I know of is calling a cab from the light rail platform, but the cost/wait is just not worth it vs. taking a cab into and out of DT. Going to Reliant is a different story but that only happens occasionally. Some sort of reliable transportation to the platforms would be be welcome.

I live just on the edge of the "mid-town" boundary and the trains stops are usable for me and although it can be a really warm walk in the early evening the bigger problem is getting back home very late at night. There are just too many odd ducks on the street to make it feel safe at that time of night with a date in heels or not. The only solution that I know of is calling a cab from the light rail platform, but the cost/wait is just not worth it vs. taking a cab into and out of DT. Going to Reliant is a different story but that only happens occasionally. Some sort of reliable transportation to the platforms would be be welcome.

We need the surrounding neighborhoods to interact more seamlessly with downtown and a good start is setting up an easy way for people to get to the trains...

We need the surrounding neighborhoods to interact more seamlessly with downtown and a good start is setting up an easy way for people to get to the trains...

We can start by passing a city ordinance requiring women to wear sensible shoes to the bars. If the city can mandate air particulate requirements within the bars, surely it's no stretch for the city government to mandate dress codes as well.

We can start by passing a city ordinance requiring women to wear sensible shoes to the bars. If the city can mandate air particulate requirements within the bars, surely it's no stretch for the city government to mandate dress codes as well.

haha whatever puts pedestrians on the streets!

Midtown residents don't even want to use the train. I tried it for 3 days to get to work downtown. I was the only Midtown resident using it. The train is merely a way for vagrants to come into the area and ask for money. Nobody even pays to use the train. Every time I used the train to get downtown, I was the only one that paid! It's $2 (if you are honest) and you have to sit there and wait 10 minutes for it. Then it takes another 10 minutes to reach your destination if you work in the Theatre District. Why not get in your car and drive for 5 minutes and park downtown. It's faster and depending on your company's parking situation, it's cheaper. God knows it's a lot safer! The best thing for Midtown would be to tear up the train stop at McGowen and let it go by.

• Like 1

I'm not sure what to think of "Cheerz." It definitely has more character than Open City. They are setting it up as a laid back bar & grill place (which is good) but it definitely looks tacky. Stucko exterior with painted on lines to make it look like bricks? Painted on windows? Just the name "Cheerz" is tacky. If you can't get the name "Cheers," just call it something else. Bottom line: it can't be worse than Open City but if it's owned by the same people, I'm not getting my hopes up.

I hate writing so many negative posts but since buying my townhome in Midtown 2 1/2 years ago, I've only seen the neighborhood decline and I seriously regret buying here. Worst mistake of my life.

Midtown residents don't even want to use the train. I tried it for 3 days to get to work downtown. I was the only Midtown resident using it. The train is merely a way for vagrants to come into the area and ask for money. Nobody even pays to use the train. Every time I used the train to get downtown, I was the only one that paid! It's $2 (if you are honest) and you have to sit there and wait 10 minutes for it. Then it takes another 10 minutes to reach your destination if you work in the Theatre District. Why not get in your car and drive for 5 minutes and park downtown. It's faster and depending on your company's parking situation, it's cheaper. God knows it's a lot safer! The best thing for Midtown would be to tear up the train stop at McGowen and let it go by.

According to the numbers Metro sent me, there are 2100 and 1300 boardings at the Ensemble and McGowen stations respectively. While I haven't been on the train in a bit, I have seen officers doing fairly aggressive fare checks over the past few weeks near that station.

If you're waiting 10-15 minutes for the train, that means you're heading to the theater district at a "non-peak" time, and if that's the case, your parking would probably be more substantial than the $2 bucks you're complaining about.

• Like 1

Considering the fare is actually $1.25 and my wife and I ride it... I'd have to disagree. In fact, my family just visited us on Friday and we all rode the rail to the hmns.

• Like 1

I hate writing so many negative posts but since buying my townhome in Midtown 2 1/2 years ago, I've only seen the neighborhood decline and I seriously regret buying here. Worst mistake of my life.

How so? We bought our townhome in Midtown 2 years ago and have only seen improvements (new restaurants like Raku, Saint Danes, McGowen Street reconstruction, etc.). They are about to add a lot of retail by Continental Club and totally redo Bagby as well.

I am a midtown resident and I use the train a lot. About 15 of my friends move to this area after college and we all use it. This definitely does not represent everyone though.

I think people in Houston are too use to the confinement of their cars. This makes us quick to judge people, even scared of people, who use public transportation. Who cares if they don't look or act like you as long as it safe. I see cops at most of the major stops, and they give tickets to those who don't pay the fare. The train could have a better crowd I guess but how do you enforce that??? You can't. This is a big city and you're going to have people from all classes using a public transportation system.

So if we want a better quality of life, shops businesses to open up around the train or places close to the train, we should venture out and use it.

I can get from Midtown to Angelilca, Toyota Center, Reliant, Houston Pavilions, Market Square Park, the Museum District, and even Rice Village by a combination of walking and the train. If I want to cut down on time, I can use my bike. It's a different way to see the city and more enjoyable.

• Like 1

How so? We bought our townhome in Midtown 2 years ago and have only seen improvements (new restaurants like Raku, Saint Danes, McGowen Street reconstruction, etc.). They are about to add a lot of retail by Continental Club and totally redo Bagby as well.

brian, can you add some more comments about the retail planned near continental club and how else they plan to redo Bagby? I noticed that they made sidewalks more pedestrian friendly by creating wide open ramps along the street... are there other improvements on the way?

Edited by DrLan34

brian, can you add some more comments about the retail planned near continental club and how else they plan to redo Bagby? I noticed that they made sidewalks more pedestrian friendly by creating wide open ramps along the street... are there other improvements on the way?

Sure. The Chronicle did an article about the Continental Club the other weekend: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/7037727.html Construction was in full swing this past weekend when I went by for Tacos. They will be the 3600 Main Shops. Here are the highlights:

WHEN THEY WILL ARRIVE

Planned openings for the 3600 Main Shops

Early June: My Flaming Heart (apparel, jewelry and folk objects) and Sig's Lagoon (music, posters and gifts)

July: Natachee's (restaurant) and Shop-O-Rama (vintage collaborative).

August: Big Kat's (barber shop/tattoo parlor) and Kat's Meow (hair salon)

September: Coffeehouse

As for Bagby, it's being planned by Midtown and I believe it's supposed to start in 2011. It's going to be a total makeover (new street, sidewalks, ramps, etc.).

• Like 2

Sure. The Chronicle did an article about the Continental Club the other weekend: http://www.chron.com...ss/7037727.html Construction was in full swing this past weekend when I went by for Tacos. They will be the 3600 Main Shops. Here are the highlights:

WHEN THEY WILL ARRIVE

Early June: My Flaming Heart (apparel, jewelry and folk objects) and Sig's Lagoon (music, posters and gifts)

As for Bagby, it's being planned by Midtown and I believe it's supposed to start in 2011. It's going to be a total makeover (new street, sidewalks, ramps, etc.).

Man this is excellent news! I'll be sure to hit up all these places as soon as they open... Thanks for posting.

Edited by DrLan34

Those look like good developments. I think I was in a bad mood posting all those comments earlier. I think I'm just bitter because Washington has so many nice restaurants now and I find myself going there all the time. My friend bought a townhome over there before I bought mine in Midtown so he seems to be looking smarter right now. But, as long as Midtown remains somewhat safe, I think it is the better bet in the long run because it is a walkable area, the parking situation isn't THAT bad, and we don't have a huge clubby feel that the Washington area has. When those clubs become uncool on Washington, it is going to be terrible down there. I don't think you can easily transition them into other things. At least Midtown is able to make the transition from trendy young clubber spot to a laid back hangout spot fairly easily.

Sure. The Chronicle did an article about the Continental Club the other weekend: http://www.chron.com...ss/7037727.html Construction was in full swing this past weekend when I went by for Tacos. They will be the 3600 Main Shops. Here are the highlights:

WHEN THEY WILL ARRIVE

Those look like good developments. I think I was in a bad mood posting all those comments earlier. I think I'm just bitter because Washington has so many nice restaurants now and I find myself going there all the time. My friend bought a townhome over there before I bought mine in Midtown so he seems to be looking smarter right now. But, as long as Midtown remains somewhat safe, I think it is the better bet in the long run because it is a walkable area, the parking situation isn't THAT bad, and we don't have a huge clubby feel that the Washington area has. When those clubs become uncool on Washington, it is going to be terrible down there. I don't think you can easily transition them into other things. At least Midtown is able to make the transition from trendy young clubber spot to a laid back hangout spot fairly easily.

i know what you mean. I like washington, it's a good place and hopefully will continue to be great. we have a lot of people in houston so we can have more than one hot spot.

I'm banking on the trains bringing more life to midtown... it's going to be great when the additional 5 lines are done. I HOPE it will make midtown the closest most walkable extension of downtown. I think the seeds are there man.

The shops off main street are a great start, i hope to see more!