Montrose HEB At 1701 W. Alabama St.

Porchman

Do you support the HEB development?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Do you support the HEB development?

• Yes
    • No
    • Dunno
    • Live in Montrose, but don't care
    • Don't live in Montrose, so why should I care?

Actually, if i put some thought into it....

The seating was 99% full with significant amount of people standing on the perimeter...at the height of meeting.

Seating was about 18 chairs wide by 18 front to back.... Thats 320ish. Plus there was, I'd say, 75ish (including Metro,HEB,etc) along the perimeter... so actually I'd put the total crowd closer to 375-400.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I also attended this meeting--i was there at 8:30am--I had also heard the presentation at Neartown the previous Tuesday

When the meeting was suppose to start At 9am--lots of the presenters were afraid no one was coming

It was gratifying that so many showed up and I agree there could have been as many as 200 people there.

I also liked sawtooth above the other 2options but was wondering if the design team from San Antonio had driven around Montrose? Scott McClellen made a point of relaying the story of being told "Montrose was unique and eclectic" but none of the designs seemed to respond to that description----sawtooth was a nice design but the artist rendering seemed to have vague mountains in the background IMO-that didn't really speak to me of "unique and eclectic Montrose" I was hoping for something that might pay homage to some of the historical architecture in the area.

One thing brought up at Neartown that didn't get much play at this meeting was the idea of a COMMUNITY ROOM ---This was enthuiastically talked about and compared to the community room at Central Market and what an asset it would be for that area. I wrote the words build a community room on my ballot.

I liked the idea of a green space along Dunlavy (i.66 acreges) The discussion about the lack of enthusiasm from Houston Parks and Recreation was more throughly discussed at Neartown. The idea of a 2 story store

is better decided by those that actually would be living next to a 2 story store( that make sno bones to the fact that it would be opened to 12am each night). The intriguing part of this for me was the need for "leasors" in the extra space of the bottom floor of the 2nd story (to help defray extra cost {$2mil} that the 2 story would cost HEB) all but $800,000. had been found. From his talk at Neartown if enough additional Leasors are found to cover that $800.000. the 2 story might indeed be built. I don't live in the immediate area so for me it's just a nice thought that green space canbe had if the residents want it.

I'm amazed with how accommodating they've been and while a park, community room etc would be nice, I think the community should be happy with what's on the table - take a look at the ugly strip mall across the street - that's what they could have built here, and there's not a thing anyone could have done about it had they been so disposed. I think any one of these designs will be a boon to the area.

I also think any of these 3 designs would be fine. The 2 stories would be nice but I'm guessing it won't happen at this point. Do I see pedestrian access from Branard and Sul Ross on that first sketch? Was that discussed at all?

One thing about the two level option... Once you account for drive lanes, building structure, vertical circulation including a much bigger/longer than normal escalator... it's not like the entire footprint is filled with parking. A very large amount of surface parking will still be needed. If you look at the site plan, the biggest tree towards the bottom left... if you draw an imaginary line up and down from that tree... to the left would be the 1.9 acre park. The rest of the surface parking remains.

I was amazed that they offered a gate for pedistrian access that would be on a timer and only open from daylight to dusk--

What was the general consensus? Assuming that they use those shopping carts with the locking wheels, I am all for it. I live on Branard and if it's walled off then what would be a nice, short walk suddenly doubles or triples in length. I guess if you lived on the dead end sections it might not be as appealing

I'm not sure what the concensus was of the neighborhood concerning pedestrian gates---the 2 women i talked to that had houses that backed up onto the property seemed to like the idea of gates on timers but still mainly worried about the "light pollution" that would stream from parking lot lights-- but HEB pointed out that LED light bulbs would be used and the height of the trees prevented the light poles from being too tall. I think the wall around those gates would be 12'-- so maybe the light invading their back yard will be minimized-- another little tidbit mentioned about the walls-- they will be covered by vertical gardens.

another little tidbit mentioned about the walls-- they will be covered by vertical gardens.

I thought i heard vertical gardens mentioned only in reference to the N elevation facing Alabama? I missed that if he also said that in reference to the 12' perimeter wall.

The people have spoken and its.... the pavillion.

http://www.hcnonline...eb_pavilion.txt

No real surprise. The non-flat roof crowd split the vote and the flat roof sails to the win!

Ok... I'm NOW vehemently opposed to this HEB. Pavilion sucked.

Don't kill our trees your corporate asshat, we don't want your grocery store.

"Out of 206 votes, 88 votes were cast for The Pavilion. The Sawtooth received 75 votes, and The Wave trailed with 43 votes."

Ya know.. I just don't remember seeing 88 stiffs there. Boring bastards.

The residents should demand a run-off vote since no one option got over 50%

I'm surprised by this, everyone I talked to liked the Sawtooth.

Oh well, like I said, none of the three were objectionable, so....just hurry up and build the thing now.

I was there and got the same impression regarding the general preference for the Sawtooth design. That was the design that got my vote.

Hmmm....watch us get a simplified version of the Pavilion, minus some of those raised sections. Looks suspiciously like a giant box. Even with those raised areas it will pretty much look like a giant box from the street. I really have a hard time imagining that so many would have gone for that design. I guess it could be worse, but basically we've gone from talk of stilts to just a generic grocery store.

Edit:

Just saw this:

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/zones/7279730.html

McClelland, who said he is pleased the pavilion's architecture will be vaguely compatible with the nearby Menil Collection, said inviting ideas from the community has improved the project.

I think "vaguely" may be a bit strong. Anyway, glad to see that they are opting for more neutral colors

Well its fait accompli now, let's make the best of it.

With regard to a pedestrian gate, I can see the point of some residents that people would just use their streets as convenient extensions of the parking lot. HEB could install an electronic lock and issue residents with key cards, but the issue is whether they would consider the installation and administration of such a system worth the additional expense.

issuing key cards-- i wonder how many? If the cost of a gate that auto locks at dusk and dawn is already supposedly in budget if residents wanted it-- what would key cards cost?

another tidbit i remembered--- a place to plug in your electric car-- now what would that cost? like the cost of a parking meter maybe?

Have you ever seen a grocery store parking lot full ? I'm not sure the adjoining streets have much to worry about .

Just this afternoon, yes. The Kroger at 59 and Buffalo Speedway. Did a couple of circuits before I found a space.

This HEB is going to be very popular and it's not a big lot as grocery stores go.

Just this afternoon, yes. The Kroger at 59 and Buffalo Speedway. Did a couple of circuits before I found a space.

This HEB is going to be very popular and it's not a big lot as grocery stores go.

That HEB is the exception... If you remember from the meeting, The Buffalo Speedway HEB parking lot is way undersized due to site constraints.

Fiesta.. never full.

Disco Kroger.. very small lot and still not ever completely full.

Westheimer Randalls.. never full.

West Gray Krogers.. never full.

Still.. assuming this HEB does become so popular that parking is an issue What scenario is more likely?

A ) A driver, upon reaching the full HEB lot, gets back on Alabama, waits at a L turn signal at Woodhead, to then park on Sul Ross/Branard.

B ) That driver, upon reaching the full HEB lot, crosses Dunlavy to the usually empty Fiesta lot.

I just don't see the SullRoss/Branard parking lot extension issue as an issue

Eh...read my post again, it referred to the Kroger on 59 and Buffalo Speedway (the one with the huge parking lot), not the HEB.

The HEB on Dunlavy will be popular and heavily visited, all the more so when Fiesta goes under.

You can come up with any number of scenarios that you like but if there is a gate there, it will be used, by residents and non-residents alike. If I lived there I wouldn't like it.

sorry i misread your post...

but i stand by my observations of most other inner loop grocery store parking lots and the more likely scenario that a full parking lot will send shoppers across the street as opposed to several blocks away, in a circle, through a left turn light.

I understand where you're coming from though.. sidegate debating a side gate.. I would expect nothing less :)

That HEB is the exception... If you remember from the meeting, The Buffalo Speedway HEB parking lot is way undersized due to site constraints.

Fiesta.. never full.

Disco Kroger.. very small lot and still not ever completely full.

Westheimer Randalls.. never full.

West Gray Krogers.. never full.

Still.. assuming this HEB does become so popular that parking is an issue What scenario is more likely?

A ) A driver, upon reaching the full HEB lot, gets back on Alabama, waits at a L turn signal at Woodhead, to then park on Sul Ross/Branard.

B ) That driver, upon reaching the full HEB lot, crosses Dunlavy to the usually empty Fiesta lot.

I just don't see the SullRoss/Branard parking lot extension issue as an issue

Whole Foods Kirby...always full!

Archived