Sign in to follow this  
longhorn

Tree Trimming

I have several very large trees which need to be trimmed. Has anyone used a good, and preferably reasonably priced, tree trimming service in the Heights? Thanks in advance for any input.

I've used Andrew Ashby for some tree trimming of some big oaks in my front yard a while ago. He did great work for us that was reasonably priced. Certified arborist so he's knowledgeable on how to trim a tree without harming it.

Andrew Ashby

Arbor And Forestry Associates

ISA Certified Arborist # TX-3311A

andrewashby@arborforestry.com

I have several very large trees which need to be trimmed. Has anyone used a good, and preferably reasonably priced, tree trimming service in the Heights? Thanks in advance for any input.

Thanks for a timely reminder. Hurricane season starts in less than a month, and now is the time to make sure that trees have been trimmed well away from utility lines.

I've used Andrew Ashby for some tree trimming of some big oaks in my front yard a while ago. He did great work for us that was reasonably priced. Certified arborist so he's knowledgeable on how to trim a tree without harming it.

Andrew Ashby

Arbor And Forestry Associates

ISA Certified Arborist # TX-3311A

andrewashby@arborforestry.com

I've been putting off getting trees trimmed for several years but I finally decided this week that it needed to be done. I searched HAIF and found this recommendation. I called Andrew and he said that it is generally preferable to prune trees in the winter, but he said he would come by and take a look. He called me and made recommendations for minimal trimming to get the trees away from the house and the power line. He also quoted reasonable prices (on par with what the neighbor's "lawn guy" wanted). I felt comfortable knowing that Andrew is a Certified Arborist and that he is fully insured.

Andrew and his crew showed up today and did a great job on the trees. He observed that one of the Crepe Myrtle trees was quite stressed with some dead branches and said he wanted to wait until it bloomed to see what needs to be pruned. He said that he would check back by and take care of that as he is in the neighborhood frequently. They cleaned up all the branches and hauled them off.

If anyone else is looking for tree maintenance from someone that cares about the trees, give Andrew a call.

• Like 2

Thanks for a timely reminder. Hurricane season starts in less than a month, and now is the time to make sure that trees have been trimmed well away from utility lines.

Reliant does a pretty good job of that. They asymmetrically trimmed (read: butchered) two very mature, shady trees in my back yard to the point I had to cut them down completely.

• Like 1

Reliant does a pretty good job of that. They asymmetrically trimmed (read: butchered) two very mature, shady trees in my back yard to the point I had to cut them down completely.

CenterPoint, not Reliant. It's fun to look at the HL&P family tree (pun intended) since deregulation. CenterPoint is the only piece that one could even argue is the survivor of the old HL&P. The other pieces have been bought, sold, and split into various smaller pieces that they are hard to recognize. Reliant (today's version) is a retail supplier owned by NRG and has nothing to do with maintaining the wires.

Andrew pointed out that some of the problems with the one Crepe Myrtle (and one of my Magnolias) were likely caused by the power company butchering the top of the trees to keep them out of the power lines. Every time I see one of those Asplundh trucks I always say "Ass-plunder" :rolleyes:

Edited by heights

CenterPoint, not Reliant. It's fun to look at the HL&P family tree (pun intended) since deregulation. CenterPoint is the only piece that one could even argue is the survivor of the old HL&P. The other pieces have been bought, sold, and split into various smaller pieces that they are hard to recognize. Reliant (today's version) is a retail supplier owned by NRG and has nothing to do with maintaining the wires.

You're right, Centerpoint. Still doesn't make me less frustrated that my trees are history.

Thanks for sharing another tree outfit that has a competent arborist. Mine were done today, actually (gi-normous pecan, sweet gum and live oak). I use and recommend Champion Tree Preservation (281-320-8201).

Proper tree maintenance can be expensive if you have big ones, but trust me, spending a thousand bucks every other year beats what happened to many of my neighbors during Ike. A dude with a chainsaw and a truck during heavy trash week probably doesn't know much about correct pruning.

I see this post is from last year, but it's always a good idea to trim your trees prior to hurricane season, so I'll go ahead and throw on the small, locally-owned landscaping company I work for, Four Seasons Outdoor Living. We have a website, too, but we are about to redo it. You can also call the owner, Jeff @ 713-261-3049. He's a really nice guy. :)