ekdrm2d1

Highland Village Shopping Center

I could not find the native thread. Please merge with the original thread.

Edited by ekdrm2d1

Ra Sushi expanded right? That store went out of business and Ra Sushi took their area.

Here was construction.. 6 months ago

vgkVhg8.jpg

Tonight:

NByfVjr.jpg

James Avery left. Wonder what happened. They’ve been there for ever.

Looks like Sweet Paris is going in near the Cole Haan.

2 hours ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

James Avery left. Wonder what happened. They’ve been there for ever.

Looks like Sweet Paris is going in near the Cole Haan.

James Avery is moving next to (and sharing the same building as) Moxie's at Centre At Post Oak! They have signs in the windows/under construction 

Edited by gene
  • Like 1

Prominent steakhouse shutters Highland Village outpost after 15 years

One of Houston's most high-profile steakhouses will close next week. Smith & Wollensky announced that its last day of service will be Saturday, October 1.

"The Houston market has been great to the Smith & Wollensky brand, providing years of engagement and exposure," the statementbegins. "As we’ve come to the end of our 15-year lease in Highland Village on Westheimer Road, we’ve made the decision to not renew, and we will be closing our Houston location. While this decision was a difficult one, we are confident future opportunities await the S&W brand in the state of Texas."

http://houston.culturemap.com/news/restaurants-bars/10-04-18-smith-wollensky-closing-shutter-steakhouse-highland-village/

Maybe Mr. Barbouti could build a residential tower for HV? Seems like the rest of the River Oaks shopping centers are doing it. 

Highland Village is losing tenants left and right.  Is this by design?  Are they planning to re-develop after a portion of it becomes a ghost town?

Highland Village Holdings (or whatever their name is) having financial troubles? That would explain the rent increase across the board.. or their land is going up in value?

I remember handling the construction drawings for Highland Village.  Believe my old boss was the design architect for Ra Sushi? Good times

In face of powerful and more urban style competitors, for example the River Oaks District. Highland Village dated suburban model is now a hindrance. Maybe its as they know the need is to "keep up with The Joneses" rising land value and prices. Along with people demanding a more genuine street experience is perhaps pushing HV towards making changes. 

Smith & Wollensky just wasn’t that good in my opinion. I went once and never went back. B&B and even Ritual have better steaks.

17 hours ago, Moderators said:

In face of powerful and more urban style competitors, for example the River Oaks District. Highland Village dated suburban model is now a hindrance. Maybe its as they know the need is to "keep up with The Joneses" rising land value and prices. Along with people demanding a more genuine street experience is perhaps pushing HV towards making changes. 

What could HV do to keep up with the trends?

I believe that's probably the direction 

they're moving in, pushing tenants out

of key intersections.Drexell is highly 

desirable location for a multi-family developer.Barbouti more than likely 

fields constant offers from them weekly 

if not daily. Watch and wait for a major 

changes in HV's evolution. 

Sephora going in at the old Victoria's Secret location.

Permit & Remodel:

Hhjf2bO.jpg

nQ3qTku.jpg

• Like 1

On 1/25/2019 at 6:53 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

What store left this time?  Or is it a new addition?

NqJomZf.jpg

okRK3Pf.jpg

Used to be Valobra Jewelers. Not sure if they’re remodeling or if they left and HV had someone lined up to replace. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 12/14/2018 at 6:34 PM, ekdrm2d1 said:

Sweet Paris Crêperie & Café opened their store in Highland Village this week

ScfIiio.jpg

Yuck. Sweet Paris is terrible.  I went to the one in City Centre once. It’s Jack in the box or Burger King level food. 

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Valobra just built a huge new store on a lot next to St.Anne's church down the street so I'm sure that space is being leased out.

• Like 1

I could see a high rise being built in this development much like River Oaks Shopping Center. HV seems to be refining their tenant list. 

• Like 2

Visited HV today and walked around, definitely busy.

Makes me wish there was some form of light rail that ran down Westheimer, but I don't think there'd be much room if they tried to!

Also, it's a real shame to see that empty steakhouse sitting there on the corner at Drexel. Beautiful building, hope it finds a tenant soon. 

On 3/9/2019 at 3:08 PM, CaptainJilliams said:

Visited HV today and walked around, definitely busy.

Makes me wish there was some form of light rail that ran down Westheimer, but I don't think there'd be much room if they tried to!

Also, it's a real shame to see that empty steakhouse sitting there on the corner at Drexel. Beautiful building, hope it finds a tenant soon. 

That and find something to replace West Elm...the wall where the sign was looks pretty bad...they should at least paint that or something until a new tenant moves in.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

https://www.click2houston.com/news/thieves-drive-stolen-truck-through-apple-store-glass-in-river-oaks

HOUSTON - Thieves drove a stolen truck through the glass of an Apple store Wednesday in Houston’s River Oaks neighborhood.

The incident was reported about 4:15 a.m. at the store in the Highland Village Shopping Center on Westheimer Road, near Willowick Road.

Edited by ekdrm2d1

52 minutes ago, ekdrm2d1 said:

Pretty sure that is Dallas.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1