Katy Or Cypress

maddycakes

I am trying to decide between Katy and Cypress. I like Cypress better because of communities like Towne Lake and community activities like the Berry Center, but Katy does have a very good school district and seems like in Houston you can't go wrong when you buy along 1-10. Opinions?

I am trying to decide between Katy and Cypress. I like Cypress better because of communities like Towne Lake and community activities like the Berry Center, but Katy does have a very good school district and seems like in Houston you can't go wrong when you buy along 1-10. Opinions?

The portion of Cy-Fair south of 290 is very similar to Katy - good schools, few trees, and lots of traffic. You will do well in either Katy or "South Cy-Fair", if you work on the west side of town. If you work somewhere else, like downtown, the portion of Cy-Fair north of 290 is preferable because you can use the 249 to 8 to 45 path to downtown, which is much faster than 290. Plus, if you like trees, the northern part of Cy-Fair - near 249 - is your best bet.

Out of Katy ISD, the areas north of I-10 are inferior to the areas south of I-10. And Cy-Fair ISD really shouldn't be considered part of the I-10 corridor; try driving south towards I-10 during morning rush hour traffic and you'll no doubt agree with me.

Out of Katy ISD, the areas north of I-10 are inferior to the areas south of I-10. And Cy-Fair ISD really shouldn't be considered part of the I-10 corridor; try driving south towards I-10 during morning rush hour traffic and you'll no doubt agree with me.

I have to agree.

Plus, driving 290 during rush hour is the most soul crushing commute this city has to offer. At least with Katy you have two options to pay your way out of traffic.

I have to agree.

Plus, driving 290 during rush hour is the most soul crushing commute this city has to offer. At least with Katy you have two options to pay your way out of traffic.

In my case, I actually have a business on Highway 6 North so my commute would be fine either way, with Cypress actually being a bit better. I wasn't considering Cypress apart of 1-10 - just Katy...it was my pro for Katy. But, for some reason, Katy just seems so sterile. But, it does have a great school district.

Cypress by far.

Cypress is the area roughly between 249 and 290 extending all the way to Longenbaugh. Cypress ends at 529. There are really two distinct areas of Cypress, North and South, however unlike Katy it is not a socioeconomic divide like North/South Katy. You have nice developments on either side of 290. The major differences are geographic. The North side is wooded and heavily forested. The South side is mostly prairie with large-scale master-planned communities.

The schools are great in Cy-Fair and Katy - both have a well-earned, long held reputation for being two of the best districts in the Houston area. Also keep in mind Cy-Fair has almost twice the enrollment of Katy ISD. Cypress is but one part of Cypress-Fairbanks ISD and the schools in the Cypress part of CFISD are very good.

I'm biased because I like big tall, trees, greenery and great schools and I live here. Without question, I'd put the following areas ahead of anywhere in Katy:

The Longwood/Lakewood/Coles Crossing/Northlake/Stable Gate/Rock Creek area between 249 & 290

The Bridgelands/Blackhorse/Cypress Creek Lakes/Cypress Creek Ranch area off Fry between 290 and Longenbaugh

The natural scenery, amenities (hiking, creeks, golf, forests, etc), quality of development, variety of styles and choices and top-notch schools set these apart.

Other nice areas that are comparable (or better) than the better parts of South Katy:

The Stonegate/Towne Lake/Riata Ranch/Copper Lakes areas

The Fairfield/Lakes of Fairhaven/Saddleridge Estates/Cypress Lake Estates/Lakes of Rosehill areas

Just so long as you aren't zoned to Morton Ranch High School.

What's so bad about Morton Ranch?

Cypress by far.

Cypress is the area roughly between 249 and 290 extending all the way to Longenbaugh. Cypress ends at 529. There are really two distinct areas of Cypress, North and South, however unlike Katy it is not a socioeconomic divide like North/South Katy. You have nice developments on either side of 290. The major differences are geographic. The North side is wooded and heavily forested. The South side is mostly prairie with large-scale master-planned communities.

The schools are great in Cy-Fair and Katy - both have a well-earned, long held reputation for being two of the best districts in the Houston area. Also keep in mind Cy-Fair has almost twice the enrollment of Katy ISD. Cypress is but one part of Cypress-Fairbanks ISD and the schools in the Cypress part of CFISD are very good.

I'm biased because I like big tall, trees, greenery and great schools and I live here. Without question, I'd put the following areas ahead of anywhere in Katy:

The Longwood/Lakewood/Coles Crossing/Northlake/Stable Gate/Rock Creek area between 249 & 290

The Bridgelands/Blackhorse/Cypress Creek Lakes/Cypress Creek Ranch area off Fry between 290 and Longenbaugh

The natural scenery, amenities (hiking, creeks, golf, forests, etc), quality of development, variety of styles and choices and top-notch schools set these apart.

Other nice areas that are comparable (or better) than the better parts of South Katy:

The Fairfield/Lakes of Fairhaven/Saddleridge Estates/Cypress Lake Estates/Lakes of Rosehill areas

Oh come on, there really is no difference between South Katy and any part of the "nicer" areas of Cypress. Seriously. Besides that, I think Katy homes have higher value than ones in Cypress, especially Green Trails/Kelliwood. Not to mention the Katy is more connected to Houston than Cypress. AND Katy actually has an identity, while Cypress-Fairbanks is one jumbled mess.

Cinco Ranch is the king of all master-planned communities in the Houston area. Then, you have others like Seven Meadows, Cross Creek Ranch, Firethorne, etc. You can't seriously tell me the ones in Cypress are better, and vice versa (though, Cinco Ranch is the exception...no MPC in Cypress is like Cinco).

What's so bad about Morton Ranch?

North Katy got slammed in the 80's and it's been slammed again in recent years. As suburbs go, the low price points of homes in that area make it very susceptible to economic volatility. Foreclosure maps for this area echo that problem.

It's also a more diverse area than most suburbs--and let's face it--that makes many white suburban home buyers uncomfortable. As time progresses and the trend towards diversification self-reinforces, the area will increasingly have to deal with a stigma involving race and the quality of the schools. And ultimately, that stigma becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You need look no further than Spring ISD for an example of how it all works.

You can't seriously tell me the ones in Cypress are better, and vice versa (though, Cinco Ranch is the exception...no MPC in Cypress is like Cinco).

Bridgeland. It isn't as big (yet), but it's already better. Drive out there sometime and check it out.

North Katy got slammed in the 80's and it's been slammed again in recent years. As suburbs go, the low price points of homes in that area make it very susceptible to economic volatility. Foreclosure maps for this area echo that problem.

It's also a more diverse area than most suburbs--and let's face it--that makes many white suburban home buyers uncomfortable. As time progresses and the trend towards diversification self-reinforces, the area will increasingly have to deal with a stigma involving race and the quality of the schools. And ultimately, that stigma becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. You need look no further than Spring ISD for an example of how it all works.

Yeah, Morton Ranch is easily the most diverse school in Katy ISD, but I've heard test scores have gotten better over the years there. There will be another high school north of Morton Ranch in the future though. The school is already way over capacity.

Bridgeland. It isn't as big (yet), but it's already better. Drive out there sometime and check it out.

I've driven through Bridgeland and don't see how it's much different than the new sections of Cinco Ranch. They look exactly the same. Both have similar "rolling" terrain. But Bridgeland will also extend into the far NW parts of Katy, so it can count as both in the future.

• 2 weeks later...

Cypress by far.

I agree with Mr Football on this one. If I were to buy I would in North Cypress though... tall timber!

I agree with Mr Football on this one. If I were to buy I would in North Cypress though... tall timber!

I'll third that opinion!

For over 15 years, we had planned to eventually move and buy our "forever home" in south or southwest Katy. But when the time finally came, we realized that Katy had become just another overcrowded, heavily trafficked part of Houston. It was a cold, sterile Generica, a virtual CouldBeAnyWhereVille. Whatever folks are moving out there to get away from, they seem to be determined as all hell to drag that same stuff along with them. And it was no longer a place we wanted to be, by any means!

It was so disheartening that we even considered leaving the Houston area completely. Fortunately, some like Mr. Football opened our eyes to other possibilities in the area. After considering numerous neighborhoods, we kept finding ourselves drawn back to the NW part of Cypress over and over again. The trees, the wildlife, the quiet neighborhoods tucked away in dappled shade... and so much more...made it clear to us that this is what our souls needed.

We bought our "forever home" here last year and have been unbelievably happy with our choice! We have easy access to both 249 and 290 , and our drives home once we're off the freeways themselves are easy, uncrowded and actually pleasurable. The whole place is just rejuvenating. In fact, this is the first time in many years that we are not planning a mountain getaway vacation. We don't need it! Everyday here is a relaxing treat and we'll be delighted to spend our downtime right here in our own space.

I would go with whatever one is an easier commute to your job.

• The title was changed to Katy Or Cypress

Archived