Ross Sterling Mansion At 3015 Bagby St.

trymahjong

There is a historic house at Rosalie and Bagby (grey house-- 3012 Bagby on googlemap it was moved there from corner of westheimer and bagby before strip shopping was built)-- thought it was going to be a lawyers office but now im told a a liquor license permit is posted?

Anyone know what is going on?

• Like 1

• 11 months later...

Is that at the northeast corner of Bagby and Rosalie? HCAD lists the construction date as 1905 (for what that's worth - HCAD is notoriously inaccurate with construction dates.) Also notes that it was remodeled in 1998.

The taxable value jumped from $225k in 2009 to $452k in 2010, based solely on improvements. Yikes!

• 2 weeks later...

There is an old house on the corner of Bagby and Elgin, it was built in 1905 The addresse is 3015 Bagby, I think they are going to demolish this house. Does any one know the history of this house?

Looking at old Sanborn Fire Insurance maps tells me that whenever that house was built, it was not original to that lot, but was moved onto that lot sometime after the 1920s. The old maps of that property show a one story house on that lot prior to that time.

The city directories lead me to believe the original house on that lot may have been the parsonage for the First Unitarian Church.

I also checked historicaerials.com. It appears that was an empty lot for many years up to at least 1981 prior to that house being moved onto the lot some time after that.

Edited by isuredid
  • Like 1

There was a house on Westheimer which was moved by preservationists around the corner to Bagby several years ago. I think it was next door to the only existing house in the 100 block of Westheimer - (116 Westheimer), the white one that's been vacant for so long.

This might explain the notation about remodeling on the HCAD record for the Bagby address.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

http://swamplot.com/a-substandard-structure-to-become-sterling-house-bar-in-midtown/2013-08-26/

VIA SWAMPLOT

WOW

says the reader who sends this photo and word of a recently secured TABC license for the so-called Sterling House here at 3015 Bagby St.,

I posted on  swamplot--- there are  apparently a lot of Sterling houses --relatives get named after relatives--similar names and different houses etc--

I might have posted before that Avondale Civic has a Historic walking tour that tells a lot about Avondale homes and their owners-- some of the information comes from local residents who have lived in Avondale since the 60's or so. That information (garnered from the owner of Sterling house)  indicates the house was moved from the corner of Westheimer and Bagby where the strip shopping center is now. This Sterling house was apparently lived in by Helen Sterling a daughter in law.

• 7 months later...

I posted on  swamplot--- there are  apparently a lot of Sterling houses --relatives get named after relatives--similar names and different houses etc--

I might have posted before that Avondale Civic has a Historic walking tour that tells a lot about Avondale homes and their owners-- some of the information comes from local residents who have lived in Avondale since the 60's or so. That information (garnered from the owner of Sterling house)  indicates the house was moved from the corner of Westheimer and Bagby where the strip shopping center is now. This Sterling house was apparently lived in by Helen Sterling a daughter in law.

I found this old drawing from a sales brochure about Avondale-- it's the 100 block of Hathaway--later renamed Westheimer Road. It looks like it shows the Sterling House.

post-6399-0-61956600-1396412613_thumb.jp

• Like 2

AS I was searching for the brochure  above, I found another actual photograph that was used during the campaign to get Avondale East designated as a Historic district in 1998. It shows the Sterling house on the corner before it was moved (It is labeled Westheimer at Baldwin--so perhaps Baldwin came all the way to Westheimer then) and the old house at 116 Westheimer that is still there---you can just see the edge of the "M" statue.

post-6399-0-91512200-1396560879_thumb.jp

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...
  • The title was changed to Ross Sterling Mansion At 3015 Bagby St.
  • The title was changed to League Of United American Citizens Council 60 Club House At 3004 Bagby St.