Got the new iPad

I (well, my wife... close enough) got the new 3G version of the iPad yesterday. A couple of quick thoughts:

• The 3G is fast. Really fast. Like almost as good as wifi fast. I know it's partly because of the A4 chip's faster rendering of pages, but I think it's also because it has the new 3G chip in it that can take advantage of AT&T's 7.2 HSDPA towers. I'm in one of the upgraded AT&T markets.
  • It's great that the iPad can run the iPhone apps, but disappointing when you have to.
  • I'll use apps on the iPad that I wouldn't on the iPhone simply because they're so much more useable and compelling on the iPad. Specifically: Zinio, USA Today, ABC, and The Weather Channel.
  • This will very likely replace my wife's MacBook and iPhone as her primary computing and communications platform.
  • It is disappointing that certain vendors haven't come out with iPad versions of their apps. I'm thinking of Facebook specifically. But the web version of Facebook works perfectly on the iPad.
  • Netflix streaming is great on this thing. Even works on 3G (the ABC app doesn't stream on 3G because of licensing issues).
  • Syncing on the iPad is way faster than syncing an iPhone. Again, it's probably the A4 chip.
  • The iPad is a/b/g/n compatible, which is nice because we have a dedicated N-only wifi network in the house for things that require a lot of data. Now the only things on the b/g are the PSPs, my iPhone, and the printer.
  • My wife got the 64GB version and loaded 9,000 songs, 200 music videos (including about a dozen that are actually hour-long concerts), 3,800 photos, a TV show from iTunes, and about 60 apps into the thing and there's about 15GB of space left.
  • I think that in time, the iPad will save me money because my wife can swap her iPhone for a pay-as-you-go Razr (she's not a talker, she's an e-mailer), and we can use her old computer as a DVR/AppleTV, and cut down on our cable bill.

If you have any questions about the iPad, I can answer them first hand.

Here's some screenshots of HAIF on the iPad. It's perfectly readable in both portrait and landscape mode (they may have been scaled a little bit going through e-mail). Vastly superior to the iPhone experience.

post-1-12727312191862_thumb.png

post-1-12727312268034_thumb.png

post-1-12727312344397_thumb.png

My brother got one too, the Wifi only version, it's a beauty.

I will get one, but will wait for front facing camera and hopefully a built-in SD slot version of gen 2 or even 3 if I have to wait that long.

Everyone is making a stink about there being no camera. Your thoughts? Anything else missing that would make it the "perfect" device?

EDIT: I sent that without even reading Puma's post. My quip about the camera wasn't aimed at you, but at all editorials and reviews trashing it for not having one!

My brother got one too, the Wifi only version, it's a beauty.

I will get one, but will wait for front facing camera and hopefully a built-in SD slot version of gen 2 or even 3 if I have to wait that long.

I can see the camera happening, but I wouldn't hold your breath for the SD slot.

If it's that big a deal to you, pick up the Camera Connection Kit for $29. It gives you an SD card slot, plus the ability to hook up USB keyboards and audio devices (VOIP/Skype headsets, etc...).

Everyone is making a stink about there being no camera. Your thoughts? Anything else missing that would make it the "perfect" device?

EDIT: I sent that without even reading Puma's post. My quip about the camera wasn't aimed at you, but at all editorials and reviews trashing it for not having one!

I don't really see why (certain) people are freaking out about the camera. I guess because there's so little else to complain about.

I can see Apple adding a small low-resolution camera to the front of the iPad for video chats. But to put a real camera on the back of it, like with the iPhone, would be silly. It's far too large to use as a camera without looking and feeling stupid. Try picking up your laptop and pretending to take a photo with it. It's just silly.

Just because you can put a camera (or any other feature) into something doesn't mean you should. GE could put a camera in my toaster, but that doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Griefers and low-grade techno nerds don't understand why feature creep is a bad thing. But Apple does, which is why its devices sell so well.

A small pair of tweezers and a plastic toothpick would be great.

It comes with a small metal toothpick for use in ejecting the micro SIM tray. Any other requests?

• 1 year later...

Editor, posting on HAIF with the iPad 2 does not work for me. The webpage closes when I try to enter text. Is there a fix?

I just tried it from Safari on the iPad. There shouldn't be any difference between the iPad and the iPad 2, as they use the same software.

I know this sounds really Microsoft, but have you tried restarting your 'Pad?

Failing that, when I use my iPhone, I use the Tapatalk app. I know it's $2.99, but it allows you to upload photos and do lots of other useful things.

The official free app for this forum software appears to be broken. I'm trying to find a solution to that, but I think that app is going to be EOLed because of the new mobile skin coming to HAIF. It looks just like an app, so I think the actual app will be discontinued.

Also, if you're having any problems with HAIF, it's best to send me a PM or e-mail me at editor@HoustonArchitecture.com to make sure I see it. If you post bug reports in threads there's only a very slim chance I'll read it.

E-mail me to let me know if you continue to have problems. Maybe we can find a solution together.

Editor, posting on HAIF with the iPad 2 does not work for me. The webpage closes when I try to enter text. Is there a fix?

Oh, I just had another thought --

In your account preferences, change your text editor to regular, instead of RTE (Rich Text Editor). The RTE uses a metric assload of Javascript, and that might be causing the problem you describe.

wernicke > My Settings > Post Settings > Enable visual (RTE) editor

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hardware is great, getting 2 again to replace the 2 I sold.

But they have naming issues.

I think the name, keeping it as "iPad" is a great idea, just a shame that the still kept the iPad 2. Confusing to those that don't ask or check.

Also, resurrecting the iSight name is very random, since it's been used for webcam only, now that are using it for their rear camera, while keeping the front as a Facetime camera.

Archived