Home Warranty companies?

We are in the process of buying a 1930's era, pier and beam house. It's been somewhat redone, but not everything is updated.

As part of the contract, the sellers will pay for a home warranty for a year. We don't know anything about home warranty companies and aren't sure who to go with. Our agent sent us several names of companies, and did tell us one she wouldn't recommend, but outside of that we don't have much information.

I did find this website: http://www.homewarrantyreviews.com, but I don't know of the reviews are spammed or if it's accurate. Does anyone have any experience with this website or a home warranty company reviewed by it? Is it accurate?

We would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on home warranty companies, especially if you've used one here in Houston.

Thanks!

We would appreciate any thoughts or recommendations on home warranty companies, especially if you've used one here in Houston.

Thanks!

Wow, I'm going through a situation right now with my home warranty group. Specifically, AHS...american home shield. I purchased their program for my townhome and they've been good, but please read your contract and understand that most of these companies are meant for use in the occurrence of LARGE REpairs. For example, the contractors they send out are for LARGE projects and not minor things that go wrong at your place. Take in mind that things that are significant for the normal owner are MINOR to these warranty/insurance companies. However, since your place is much older, I assume that more major problems will occur and please note you may need to act like it's the !st occurrence of the issue/problem.

The good news is that these companies are very responsive!

Wow, I'm going through a situation right now with my home warranty group. Specifically, AHS...american home shield. I purchased their program for my townhome and they've been good, but please read your contract and understand that most of these companies are meant for use in the occurrence of LARGE REpairs. For example, the contractors they send out are for LARGE projects and not minor things that go wrong at your place. Take in mind that things that are significant for the normal owner are MINOR to these warranty/insurance companies. However, since your place is much older, I assume that more major problems will occur and please note you may need to act like it's the !st occurrence of the issue/problem.

The good news is that these companies are very responsive!

I'm with American as well and they've been pretty good. My policy requires a $50.00 deductible and applies to almost everything connected to the house save my water line out to the meter. Having the warranty (about 7 years now)has paid off, especially since last year I got my downstairs AC replaced for next to nothing. I've also had several plumbing issues resolved at one time for the measly deductible. All in all they've been very good.

My wife and I went with Allied since they are based in Houston. We figured that being local might ensure that they have a better relationship with the contractors they use here. Whether or not that is the case vs. other non-Houston based home warranty services, they have been really responsive, and the service has been good. Their deductible is $60 per occurrence. Among the list of things they've taken care of so far: topping off the freon in the AC, putting in a new garbage disposal, and fixing the exhaust on an over the range microwave. All for $60 a pop, so we can't complain since we also got our warranty as part of the closing on this house. We haven't decided yet if we will renew once the initial year is up, but i would certainly renew with them if we do.

I am curious -- which warranty service did your agent not recommend?

Thank you for all your replies. I can't remember which one our agent didn't recommend. I think it might have been American Home Shield, ironically since two people here seem to think it's okay, but I can't remember for sure. Appreciate everyone's input.

I didn't see this thread until now, but I'll post what I wrote in another warranty thread..

We have Old Republic (through the purchase of the home - not on our own) and it replaced the ancient oven in this thread:

I didn't have much hope but they sent out a technician to evaluate the situation, he determined it was not fixable, we paid $60, and OR sent us a check for WAY more than I would have thought (we had three options - check, gift card, or replacement including delivery and installation).

I was pleasantly surprised..

Archived