East Downtown Promenade

TheNiche

The Five-Year Service and Improvement Plan and Assessment Plan (“Service Plan”) for EaDo says this about the "Bastrop Promenade," aka "EaDo Promenade" says,:

The system of hike-and-bike facilities in EaDo will be further upgraded when the proposed Bastrop Promenade project is constructed. Currently planned as a linear pedestrian-only avenue utilizing Bastrop right-of way from Bell to McKinney, this project will increase the attractiveness of EaDo generally and provide an intriguing redevelopment opportunity for those adjacent properties along Bastrop. This project is planned to be constructed in conjunction with the Houston Dynamo Stadium EaDo.

If this gets of the ground, it's gonna be sweet.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

edit(s):

Their idea of what the Shenshen Garden could look like:

SSParkRendering.jpg

http://www.houstonlw...rkRendering.jpg

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agreed, that would be real nice but they've gotta quit with 'eado'. That term just sounds nasty.

To my knowledge, residents of the east end were not asked about renaming our area. However, we were allowed to "vote" on a new color scheme/design for the Wayside & 45 underpass. The redo hasn't happened yet. Yawn

Agreed, that would be real nice but they've gotta quit with 'eado'. That term just sounds nasty.

To my knowledge, residents of the east end were not asked about renaming our area. However, we were allowed to "vote" on a new color scheme/design for the Wayside & 45 underpass. The redo hasn't happened yet. Yawn

Well, "Eado" sounds a lot better than the popular gentrifying area of Brooklyn known as "Dumbo"!

According to GEEMD's website, the underpass should be repainted by the end of the year. We'll see. The new design is definitely more attractive than what is there now.

well, I spend as much time as I can using EaDo in regular conversation, but I pronounce it differently all the time, my hope is that eventually, through casual conversation, all of these different pronunciations will drift back to this "EaDo Alliance" and they'll have to come up with a less stupid name.

currently, I'm using the pronunciation: "eh-yah-dough", gives it a nice northeast flair, I think...

It's so silly cause EaDo is so generic and has no backing in the history of the area. Something like Old Chinatown, or East Warehouse District (E.W.D. even has a better ring than EaDo) might give the area some direction of character.

Or maybe it should be named for the future, Generic Town Houses Are Us District (G.T.H.A.U.D. still kind of sucks though)...

West End, East End, both terms say it very well, in my opinion.

It just seems to me that eado is a bit pretentious and the area where I live is anything but that.

And, I did chuckle at "eh-yah-dough", but I'm not sure that approach will achieve the desired result unless you say it often enough around the 'key' people. Otherwise, the 'keys' will continue to think they've done something really special.

Alright kids, let's focus. ;) The quote I added in the above post says this could be built once Dynamo Stadium construction starts. That could be as early as one month!

How far is it going to go? Just on the part of the street that isn't currently there, or will it extend all the way to the stadium?

answered my own question regarding distance by reading the first post.

Are they going to have EaDo written on it? Can we petition for another name? (kidding!)

if this 'could' start construction soon after they start construction on the stadium, where is the funding coming from? Since they are going to have to permanently close street access to cars, has the city done impact studies? What info can we find on this? Are there any potential clients for the shops that will be facing this walking street?

I just haven't heard enough about this to get super excited about it being more than as Niche said, a 'wet dream'. I think it would be awesome to have an east end version of rice village, but I haven't seen much to do about it, and I would assume the 'eado' people would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

How far is it going to go? Just on the part of the street that isn't currently there, or will it extend all the way to the stadium?

answered my own question regarding distance by reading the first post.

Are they going to have EaDo written on it? Can we petition for another name? (kidding!)

if this 'could' start construction soon after they start construction on the stadium, where is the funding coming from? Since they are going to have to permanently close street access to cars, has the city done impact studies? What info can we find on this? Are there any potential clients for the shops that will be facing this walking street?

I just haven't heard enough about this to get super excited about it being more than as Niche said, a 'wet dream'. I think it would be awesome to have an east end version of rice village, but I haven't seen much to do about it, and I would assume the 'eado' people would be shouting about it from the rooftops.

I believe at least the garden portion of the plan is a project of the Houston-Shenzhen Sister City Association, which has apparently already built a pretty impressive garden in Shenzhen.

Since this area isn't as far out as the East End.. And since we've already well established our Up,down,Mid,Near town naming convention.. And since I agree with the crowd that dislikes stealing a naming convention from NYC. I dub thee, area between 59, tracks, York/Sampson, and 45...... Easttown. ....or Easton, if you wanna say it faster while being cutsey.

• 2 years later...

I was wondering that too.

This project has been very quiet for a long time.  The Houston First/Convention Center District should really be pushing for this.  Having a walkable area with Bars and Restaurants right behind the convention center is really what they need to compete. 

Any news anyone?

I spoke to someone who works for the Greater East End District, and he told that phase 1 will start in late October, early November.  Phase 1 consists of utility improvements, landscape improvements, and improved lighting is what I've heard.  No mention about bars or restaurants for Phase 1 unfortunately. 

I was wondering that too.

This project has been very quiet for a long time.  The Houston First/Convention Center District should really be pushing for this.  Having a walkable area with Bars and Restaurants right behind the convention center is really what they need to compete. 

Any news anyone?

It's not really easily accessible from the convention center nor right behind the convention center. It's more like 5-6 harrowing blocks away if your gonna walk.

Edit: ALWAYS be very careful crossing Chartres St. (except during the end of Astro's games), it's basically a highway feeder (like most downtown streets 30 mph is just a suggestion apparently) and you can/will get run over without the driver batting a lash if your not careful.

Yes. Thank you Jim.

We should all always look both ways before crossing busy streets.

If this are area THREE blocks behind the convention center, the city and the district must (and will) react to make getting there appealing and safe for the boys and girls attending the conventions. This actually has been addressed. This area is not to far to easily walk to from the GRB or any of the hotels be it 3 or 5 blocks.

premium_gallery_landscape.jpg

"At the same time, East End leaders hope the creation of a tree-lined, park-like pedestrian promenade along six blocks of Bastrop Street will make the area more desirable. They cite Discovery Green Park as a model.

The area now looks mostly industrial, but East End developers hope trees to be planted along the street from Bell to McKinney  will make the area more inviting.

Anton Sinkewich, executive director of the East Downtown Managment District, said work could begin this month to remove debris, build paths and plant more than 250 trees on the grassy area.

"That will basically be the first public space established in EaDo District", Sinkewich said. "It's primarily an industrial area rapidly turning over to entertainment and residential."

The promenade plan grew out of a private group's proposal to develop space along Bastrop into a park. The Sister Cities of Houston is working on getting funding to put some of the more ambitious plans into action, Sinkewich said.

"We are starting a little bit more modest and looking to grow this into a signature public space in the neighborhood", he said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Some-big-doings-may-make-EaDo-a-go-to-place-4870376.php#/13

I'm glad this is back on the table after the sister cities proposal never materialized. I don't see it attracting many convention goers, but it will be nice for dynamo games and residents in eado. I still like the idea of consolidating the huge parking lots north/between dynamo stadium and mmp into a garage for each venue with a multi block park space in between and some high rise residential overlooking the park. This will be nice though..

I'm glad this is back on the table after the sister cities proposal never materialized. I don't see it attracting many convention goers, but it will be nice for dynamo games and residents in eado. I still like the idea of consolidating the huge parking lots north/between dynamo stadium and mmp into a garage for each venue with a multi block park space in between and some high rise residential overlooking the park. This will be nice though..

I'm pretty sure it's the same project, no?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived