TheNiche

East Downtown Promenade

I was wondering that too.

This project has been very quiet for a long time.  The Houston First/Convention Center District should really be pushing for this.  Having a walkable area with Bars and Restaurants right behind the convention center is really what they need to compete. 

Any news anyone?

It's not really easily accessible from the convention center nor right behind the convention center. It's more like 5-6 harrowing blocks away if your gonna walk.

Edit: ALWAYS be very careful crossing Chartres St. (except during the end of Astro's games), it's basically a highway feeder (like most downtown streets 30 mph is just a suggestion apparently) and you can/will get run over without the driver batting a lash if your not careful.

Edited by infinite_jim

Yes. Thank you Jim.

We should all always look both ways before crossing busy streets.

If this are area THREE blocks behind the convention center, the city and the district must (and will) react to make getting there appealing and safe for the boys and girls attending the conventions. This actually has been addressed. This area is not to far to easily walk to from the GRB or any of the hotels be it 3 or 5 blocks.

premium_gallery_landscape.jpg

"At the same time, East End leaders hope the creation of a tree-lined, park-like pedestrian promenade along six blocks of Bastrop Street will make the area more desirable. They cite Discovery Green Park as a model.

The area now looks mostly industrial, but East End developers hope trees to be planted along the street from Bell to McKinney  will make the area more inviting.

Anton Sinkewich, executive director of the East Downtown Managment District, said work could begin this month to remove debris, build paths and plant more than 250 trees on the grassy area.

"That will basically be the first public space established in EaDo District", Sinkewich said. "It's primarily an industrial area rapidly turning over to entertainment and residential."

The promenade plan grew out of a private group's proposal to develop space along Bastrop into a park. The Sister Cities of Houston is working on getting funding to put some of the more ambitious plans into action, Sinkewich said.

"We are starting a little bit more modest and looking to grow this into a signature public space in the neighborhood", he said.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/business/real-estate/article/Some-big-doings-may-make-EaDo-a-go-to-place-4870376.php#/13

• Like 3

I'm glad this is back on the table after the sister cities proposal never materialized. I don't see it attracting many convention goers, but it will be nice for dynamo games and residents in eado. I still like the idea of consolidating the huge parking lots north/between dynamo stadium and mmp into a garage for each venue with a multi block park space in between and some high rise residential overlooking the park. This will be nice though..

I'm glad this is back on the table after the sister cities proposal never materialized. I don't see it attracting many convention goers, but it will be nice for dynamo games and residents in eado. I still like the idea of consolidating the huge parking lots north/between dynamo stadium and mmp into a garage for each venue with a multi block park space in between and some high rise residential overlooking the park. This will be nice though..

I'm pretty sure it's the same project, no?

I'm pretty sure it's the same project, no?

oh, maybe it is the same project as the sister cities promenade, i know its the same location/idea, i guess they just dropped the "sister cities" part from the name?

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/could-new-trees-and-a-promenade-help-blighted-area-in-eado/

A blighted area along Bastrop Street in East Downtown, or EaDo for short, could soon be on its way to transforming into a tree-lined, park-like pedestrian promenade .

The rendering above gives an idea to what the East Downtown Management District hopes will be available for the EaDo community at the Houston International Promenade, which spans six blocks along Bastrop Street. Construction begins this month on the project.

Saturday, Nov. 16, the district will host a volunteer tree planting and neighborhood block party. The event will begin at the intersection of McKinney and Bastrop Streets and will last from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The block party will be from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

“The community is excited that construction has begun on the first phase of many improvements on the Bastrop Street right of way,” said Anton Sinkewich, executive director of the East Downtown Management District. “We have numerous capable and enthusiastic neighborhood partners working with EaDo to make this vision a reality.”

Volunteers will work with Trees for Houston, TIRZ 15, Sister Cities of Houston, 8th Wonder Brewery and Wastershed Market to plan more than 200 trees.  After planting, volunteers can enjoy the adjacent 8th Wonder Brewery, food trucks and entertainment. Happening simultaneously will be a site clean up in anticipating of the first event of Watershed Market, a new venue in EaDo for local art and goods.

In 2011, the Sister Cities had big ideas for the space  – gardens dedicated to several different countries, for instance — but weren’t able to secure enough funding.

• Like 1

It really is... Will be.

Some very hard working people working to make this part of town work on the name of "eado". Which is much much more than we do just complaining about the name. The promenade will be be a very defining aspect to EaDo. It's going to be great.

On 8/9/2010 at 10:54 AM, Hartmann said:

I'd love for it to be a park. Throw in a decent sized dog park and that's even better.

The decent-sized dog park is complete.  Of course it's called the "EaDog" park, which makes me think its for robot dogs.  Also, anyone know if any rest of the promenade plans are going to happen?
eadog-park-aerial.jpg

Edit: forgot the links

http://swamplot.com/eados-eadog-park-opens-its-dog-gates-today/2017-11-27/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1923971087618451/

Edited by cspwal
  • Like 4

I know money is always an issue but I never saw such a sense of urgency from the city to get things done as I did prepping for the Super Bowl. Obviously that's a huge event but things that were upgraded were things that should have been in place to begin with. My point is there never seems to be a sense of urgency from city officials to get things done. We do plenty of "studies" to get everyone's opinion on sidewalks or bike lanes down a major thoroughfare but we see little to any progress. Things that should be common place are considered upgrades. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I know money is always an issue but I never saw such a sense of urgency from the city to get things done as I did prepping for the Super Bowl. Obviously that's a huge event but things that were upgraded were things that should have been in place to begin with. My point is there never seems to be a sense of urgency from city officials to get things done. We do plenty of "studies" to get everyone's opinion on sidewalks or bike lanes down a major thoroughfare but we see little to any progress. Things that should be common place are considered upgrades. 

Seriously?  We see little if any progress?  How can anyone live in this town, be conscious, and think that we see don't see any progress? 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Seriously?  We see little if any progress?  How can anyone live in this town, be conscious, and think that we see don't see any progress? 

I never said NEVER. What I said was a lot of the thing we are seeing in Houston today come with a lack of urgency to get done. I never said anything about not seeing progress. 

On 11/30/2017 at 10:09 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I never said NEVER. What I said was a lot of the thing we are seeing in Houston today come with a lack of urgency to get done. I never said anything about not seeing progress. 

Progress comes with urgency if there is a need for urgency. Like the superbowl.

Urgency costs lots of money though.

wow, that's actually pretty huge news.

I wonder what favors the eado management district had to do to get that?

1 hour ago, samagon said:

wow, that's actually pretty huge news.

I wonder what favors the eado management district had to do to get that?

Well the sign was created by the same artist that made the Beatles statues at 8th wonder. So maybe it was up to him?

On 3/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

Well the sign was created by the same artist that made the Beatles statues at 8th wonder. So maybe it was up to him?

The sign went in directly behind 8th Wonder by Polk St, so I think 8th Wonder might have something to do with the move (considering they have the Beatles statues already) 

https://www.click2houston.com/community/we-love-houston-sign-moving-to-new-home-1?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2

Does anyone else dislike this sign for being too derivative of "I [Heart] NY" rather than being an original piece? Same goes for HTX which is based on the popularity of ATX?

• Like 2

This location is better for a couple of reasons.  First - safety.  It's amazing nobody was flattened while taking selfies with it on the Katy Freeway frontage road, right where people exit at full speed (for Yale / Heights) with about a zero sight line. 

Also, I no longer have to see it on a nearly daily basis. :ph34r: 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

it's also a really great thing that there is a tree planted right in front of it. should help make taking pictures really easy.

• Haha 3

There are crews constantly working on several streets between Emancipation and St. Emanuel from Dallas to McKinney. These roads are filled with potholes so I am really glad the are taking care of this. Plus this area is so busy because of East Village. Putting the TIRZ money to use.