East Downtown Promenade

TheNiche

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2013/11/could-new-trees-and-a-promenade-help-blighted-area-in-eado/

A blighted area along Bastrop Street in East Downtown, or EaDo for short, could soon be on its way to transforming into a tree-lined, park-like pedestrian promenade .

The rendering above gives an idea to what the East Downtown Management District hopes will be available for the EaDo community at the Houston International Promenade, which spans six blocks along Bastrop Street. Construction begins this month on the project.

Saturday, Nov. 16, the district will host a volunteer tree planting and neighborhood block party. The event will begin at the intersection of McKinney and Bastrop Streets and will last from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. The block party will be from 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.

“The community is excited that construction has begun on the first phase of many improvements on the Bastrop Street right of way,” said Anton Sinkewich, executive director of the East Downtown Management District. “We have numerous capable and enthusiastic neighborhood partners working with EaDo to make this vision a reality.”

Volunteers will work with Trees for Houston, TIRZ 15, Sister Cities of Houston, 8th Wonder Brewery and Wastershed Market to plan more than 200 trees.  After planting, volunteers can enjoy the adjacent 8th Wonder Brewery, food trucks and entertainment. Happening simultaneously will be a site clean up in anticipating of the first event of Watershed Market, a new venue in EaDo for local art and goods.

In 2011, the Sister Cities had big ideas for the space  – gardens dedicated to several different countries, for instance — but weren’t able to secure enough funding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 4 years later...
On 8/9/2010 at 10:54 AM, Hartmann said:

I'd love for it to be a park. Throw in a decent sized dog park and that's even better.

The decent-sized dog park is complete.  Of course it's called the "EaDog" park, which makes me think its for robot dogs.  Also, anyone know if any rest of the promenade plans are going to happen?
eadog-park-aerial.jpg

Edit: forgot the links

http://swamplot.com/eados-eadog-park-opens-its-dog-gates-today/2017-11-27/

https://www.facebook.com/events/1923971087618451/

I know money is always an issue but I never saw such a sense of urgency from the city to get things done as I did prepping for the Super Bowl. Obviously that's a huge event but things that were upgraded were things that should have been in place to begin with. My point is there never seems to be a sense of urgency from city officials to get things done. We do plenty of "studies" to get everyone's opinion on sidewalks or bike lanes down a major thoroughfare but we see little to any progress. Things that should be common place are considered upgrades. 

18 hours ago, j_cuevas713 said:

I know money is always an issue but I never saw such a sense of urgency from the city to get things done as I did prepping for the Super Bowl. Obviously that's a huge event but things that were upgraded were things that should have been in place to begin with. My point is there never seems to be a sense of urgency from city officials to get things done. We do plenty of "studies" to get everyone's opinion on sidewalks or bike lanes down a major thoroughfare but we see little to any progress. Things that should be common place are considered upgrades. 

Seriously?  We see little if any progress?  How can anyone live in this town, be conscious, and think that we see don't see any progress? 

10 minutes ago, Houston19514 said:

Seriously?  We see little if any progress?  How can anyone live in this town, be conscious, and think that we see don't see any progress? 

I never said NEVER. What I said was a lot of the thing we are seeing in Houston today come with a lack of urgency to get done. I never said anything about not seeing progress. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2017 at 10:09 AM, j_cuevas713 said:

I never said NEVER. What I said was a lot of the thing we are seeing in Houston today come with a lack of urgency to get done. I never said anything about not seeing progress. 

Progress comes with urgency if there is a need for urgency. Like the superbowl.

Urgency costs lots of money though.

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, samagon said:

wow, that's actually pretty huge news.

I wonder what favors the eado management district had to do to get that?

Well the sign was created by the same artist that made the Beatles statues at 8th wonder. So maybe it was up to him?

On 3/15/2018 at 4:29 PM, Eastdwntwn said:

Well the sign was created by the same artist that made the Beatles statues at 8th wonder. So maybe it was up to him?

The sign went in directly behind 8th Wonder by Polk St, so I think 8th Wonder might have something to do with the move (considering they have the Beatles statues already) 

https://www.click2houston.com/community/we-love-houston-sign-moving-to-new-home-1?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=snd&utm_content=kprc2

This location is better for a couple of reasons.  First - safety.  It's amazing nobody was flattened while taking selfies with it on the Katy Freeway frontage road, right where people exit at full speed (for Yale / Heights) with about a zero sight line. 

Also, I no longer have to see it on a nearly daily basis. :ph34r: 

• 3 months later...

There are crews constantly working on several streets between Emancipation and St. Emanuel from Dallas to McKinney. These roads are filled with potholes so I am really glad the are taking care of this. Plus this area is so busy because of East Village. Putting the TIRZ money to use.

• 9 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just curious if anyone here has any ideas on this: I contacted 311 regarding adding trash barrels (like you see along major sidewalks all over the East End) along this promenade a month or so ago, and they opened a request, just to immediately close it. I called back again, and the clerk I spoke to that time arbitrarily assigned it to Parks Department; that request was closed because Parks said it wasn’t their property and therefore not their responsibility (which I think is accurate).

I called back AGAIN and finally spoke with someone who seemed to be a bit more proactive, and she told me it would be submitted as a Capital Improvement Request? I have no idea if anything came of it, but I doubt it.

Would it be better to contact the East Downtown Management District instead? Is this something that would fall within their purview?

Local government sometimes makes it very hard to try to be civically engaged. Yay bureaucracy!

I would reach out to the district (no username pun intended), yes, but you may run into similar issues.

I've had lights out in front of my place that are owned by East End Management District. They tell me to call Centerpoint and Ceterpoint tells me to call EEMD. I once got a person at EEMD to actually take the request and gave them the numbers on the light. I got an e-mail back the next day saying that they checked the light and it works fine.

They haven't been on in about a year.

Good luck!

Archived