Seafood In The Heights

Airline Seafood is great (especially when i lived around the corner), and i know that a number of cooks (the restaurant kind) shop there.

As to Heights-area places, I believe there are some on Airline in the vicinity of Canino's. Hopefully someone can confirm...

I always go to the Big Fiesta near Reliant or J&J Mkt at Stella and the Loop. Certainly not the Heights, though. Great to hear that Airline on Richmond is within a mile of me! I've never heard of it, but will be checking that out really soon.

Louisiana Foods doesn't allow the average Joe to walk in and buy....you have to have an account/wholesale. It's where Reef gets their fish...not Airline.

OOH! Almost forgot, there is usually a fish guy at the local farmers markets...even though its usually frozen, it's local and fresh! Sadly, the Heights farmers markets are pretty small.

Looks like Reef gets its seafood both places, which really makes sense:

"Caswell gets most of his fish from local independent purveyors, including Airline Seafood, Louisiana Foods and P. J. Stoops, a vendor that sells shrimp from the back of a truck like the ones Caswell remembers from his childhood. " (from CNN Money.com)

I think I originally read about their buying from Airline in the Ultimate Food Lover's Guide to Houston put out by My Table. If you haven't seen this, it is great reading about Houston's restaurants. It lives in my husband's car just in case we want to look up something on the fly.

Of course, Airline Seafood isn't in the Heights but it does have a retail and wholesale side.

The website link I posted says there is retail and wholesale. They even mention a deli.

You most certainly could try...we were there a week or two ago and the guy said they aren't anymore...maybe its something they are just trying to stop doing. We were fortunate enough to set up an account through our biz. Good luck!

• The title was changed to Is There A Good Seafood/Fish Market Near The Heights
  • The title was changed to Seafood In The Heights

Archived