Continental & United Merger

citykid09

You know...

We get angry sometimes, with CEO pay.

Millions and millions of dollars.

Golden parachutes.

One day... a CEO says... he'll forgo his pay...

How noble.

What a conflict of interest that was!

Oops... How did we miss this one?

And now CO is history.

I am sure Jeff will be paid well.

He's looking out for numero uno.

And that's not you.

But can you state that in the form of a haiku?

• Replies 322
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not so certain. A few reports have IAH as being the largest hub for what will now be the world's largest airline. United has long wanted a piece of the Latin American pie. Now they have the Latin American gateway in their control. Our airport will soon become a busy mess.... which I'm not looking forward to.

I don't doubt that our hub will continue to grow in importance. That was a foregone conclusion and it is even more so now. However, international enplanements comprises too small a portion of total enplanements to create an upset. Dual hub status is the only way to even begin to compete with the likes of ATL, much less ORD.

so what's going to happen with the continental building? Is it lights out for the white crown on top?

The blue lights may be replaced with white ones...

And according to breaking news early this morning, the merger has been approved, awaiting final approval by regulatory agencies.

The new company’s corporate and operational headquarters will be in Chicago and it will maintain a significant presence in Houston, which will be the combined company’s largest hub. Additionally, the CEO will maintain offices in both Chicago and Houston.

Yeah, Houston got screwed. Don't even get to keep the operational HQ: http://www.unitedcontinentalmerger.com/press-release

The blue lights may be replaced with white ones...

And according to breaking news early this morning, the merger has been approved, awaiting final approval by regulatory agencies.

sounds like the Continental logo is staying. though who knows the fate of the building, if they keep it the lights will remain blue.

Name of Airline Will be United with Continental’s Logo and Livery ... Aircraft will have the Continental livery, logo and colors with the United name, and the announcement campaign slogan will be “Let’s Fly Together.”

Also note the merger website has the Continental logo. not like that really means much.

If you think about it, keeping the United name is best. It's most recognizable and with Continetnal management taking over, they'll build up it's name.

Plus, since Continental loyals will know Continental management will take over, they won't be losing many customers. Also, with Continental dominating IAH, seriously, who else are they going to fly with?

skwatra, dbigtex. Is this some kind of joke that i'm missing?

The lights on the Continential haven't been blue for 2 years! It's been white? What are you all talking about? Has it been that long since you've been downtown at night? :o

Southwest.

Southwest doesn't connect to many sizable cities, including Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC, and much of the rest of the southeast and high plains. It also doesn't serve as many smaller destinations, such as Shreveport, Temple, or Waco. And it certainly can't get you to Europe, Asia, Mexico, Canada, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean.

And trying to connect to other carriers at their hubs can be tricky because Southwest flies into airports like HOU, DAL, MDW, FLL, etc.

Also, Southwest may be based in Texas, but its operational service out of Chicago is unparalleled by anything even remotely near the Texas market.

has it really been two years? i swear i've seen the logo more recently than that.

anyways, my point was that the press release states that the logo of the merged company will be the Continental logo with United name.

Southwest doesn't connect to many sizable cities, including Atlanta, GA or Charlotte, NC, and much of the rest of the southeast and high plains. It also doesn't serve as many smaller destinations, such as Shreveport, Temple, or Waco. And it certainly can't get you to Europe, Asia, Mexico, Canada, Central America, South America, or the Caribbean.

And trying to connect to other carriers at their hubs can be tricky because Southwest flies into airports like HOU, DAL, MDW, FLL, etc.

Also, Southwest may be based in Texas, but its operational service out of Chicago is unparalleled by anything even remotely near the Texas market.

Obviously I was talking about domestic service. And I was really answering for me. Right now, other than NYC, I can get to every destination I fly to regularly on SW for about the same price if not cheaper (and SW does go to LGA but its just too many stops and usually more expensive from what I've seen). My preference has been Continental over the past 3 years because of the service and mileage program. I used to make a lot of short hops and was able to earn free tickets on SW much quicker. But lately work and personal travel has taken me further and I've been able to get Platinum on Continental, so I stick to them for all travel. United's mileage program is not as good with earning or upgrades, and their Elite (1K line) is not helpful compared to Continental. I have a lot of recent experience with both dealing with trying to redeem miles for an international trip, and dealing with changing flights to Europe due to the volcano (both trips involved both airlines). Continental reps are hands down nicer, more helpful, and often more knowledgeable and easier to work with.

Though the merger site says it'll be a blend of the two programs, we'll see.

If I can't maintain good status, service goes down (as it did with Delta after their merger), my choice will be SW assuming I can get there easily for the same price (which I consistently can to DEN, LAX, OAK, MDW, BWI, PHL, MCO where I fly the most).

Obviously I was talking about domestic service. And I was really answering for me. Right now, other than NYC, I can get to every destination I fly to regularly on SW for about the same price if not cheaper (and SW does go to LGA but its just too many stops and usually more expensive from what I've seen). My preference has been Continental over the past 3 years because of the service and mileage program. I used to make a lot of short hops and was able to earn free tickets on SW much quicker. But lately work and personal travel has taken me further and I've been able to get Platinum on Continental, so I stick to them for all travel. United's mileage program is not as good with earning or upgrades, and their Elite (1K line) is not helpful compared to Continental. I have a lot of recent experience with both dealing with trying to redeem miles for an international trip, and dealing with changing flights to Europe due to the volcano (both trips involved both airlines). Continental reps are hands down nicer, more helpful, and often more knowledgeable and easier to work with.

Though the merger site says it'll be a blend of the two programs, we'll see.

If I can't maintain good status, service goes down (as it did with Delta after their merger), my choice will be SW assuming I can get there easily for the same price (which I consistently can to DEN, LAX, OAK, MDW, BWI, PHL, MCO where I fly the most).

Doesn't Southwest offer less base service? Do they even offer meals?

Southwest.

Also, for a lot of us on the north side, it's not worth it to drive to Hobby b/c many times Contiental is the same price, or maybe just a little more. To pay for gas and parking basically evens the price out.

Also, for a lot of us on the north side, it's not worth it to drive to Hobby b/c many times Contiental is the same price, or maybe just a little more. To pay for gas and parking basically evens the price out.

Hobby is closer to downtown and much cheaper to park at. For the majority of Houston this isn't valid.

Southwest doesn't offer meals. For flights over 2 hours, they give little snack boxes with 100 calorie packs and peanuts and stuff, more than most airlines other than Continental (who is getting rid of meals this year anyways).

They also don't charge for bags.

As for service, Customer Service is really what I am most worried about. I think Continental and Southwest are both excellent right now.

I've been a loyal Continental flyer for nearly two decades now. I hate to see the nice people of Continental get hurt, and I ain't talking about Smisek. Thousands of our neighbors are going to be worried about their jobs tonight. This merger will result in job cuts no matter what the talking heads say.

The simple truth of the matter is that Smisek sold his people out. Continental is the smaller carrier, but it is also the better carrier and the more financially stable one too. If the United culture wins out, which it seems it already has, then we all lose. United is a crap airline. It cannot hold a candle to Continental but in the end, that didn't matter since a handful of folks are going to make millions off of the suffering of many.

Today is a sad day for Houston and for airline enthusiasts.

I too will look towards Hobby now (Southwest) when I can and will take JetBlue to Boston via JFK since I travel to Logan most. I'll have to stick with United for flights to the South (Central and South America) but now I will feel no guilt for flying European, Asian, or Middle Eastern carriers when the opportunity arises.

I just saw on the news (abc13) that Mayor Parker says she has mixed feelings about the merger. She says Houston understands this is a business move because it is a business city. But here is the good news, no matter what any of you say the chances are. She says that this is only the beginning of the fight and they are fighting to get the new company to move its headquarters to Houston! The bad news that the news mentioned was that the loss of the headquarters could mean a loss of $100 million a year for the city of Houston. With that said, hopefully the city and state can all get behind the effort to bring the HQ to H-town!

I just saw on the news (abc13) that Mayor Parker says she has mixed feelings about the merger. She says Houston understands this is a business move because it is a business city. But here is the good news, no matter what any of you say the chances are. She says that this is only the beginning of the fight and they are fighting to get the new company to move its headquarters to Houston! The bad news that the news mentioned was that the loss of the headquarters could mean a loss of $100 million a year for the city of Houston. With that said, hopefully the city and state can all get behind the effort to bring the HQ to H-town!

thanks for the update citykid! But what are the chances they'll decide to move from a top bulldog ciy like Chicago? Chicago is a bully! They just took our only airline carrier headquarters out of our hands like taking candy from a baby!

Chicago said, "I want that! Give me that! And they just took it! :lol:

I'll have to stick with United for flights to the South (Central and South America) but now I will feel no guilt for flying European, Asian, or Middle Eastern carriers when the opportunity arises.

Hey, at least you get to ride the 747's for European routes. smile.gif

I've been a loyal Continental flyer for nearly two decades now. I hate to see the nice people of Continental get hurt, and I ain't talking about Smisek. Thousands of our neighbors are going to be worried about their jobs tonight. This merger will result in job cuts no matter what the talking heads say.

The simple truth of the matter is that Smisek sold his people out. Continental is the smaller carrier, but it is also the better carrier and the more financially stable one too. If the United culture wins out, which it seems it already has, then we all lose. United is a crap airline. It cannot hold a candle to Continental but in the end, that didn't matter since a handful of folks are going to make millions off of the suffering of many.

Today is a sad day for Houston and for airline enthusiasts.

I too will look towards Hobby now (Southwest) when I can and will take JetBlue to Boston via JFK since I travel to Logan most. I'll have to stick with United for flights to the South (Central and South America) but now I will feel no guilt for flying European, Asian, or Middle Eastern carriers when the opportunity arises.

I am a loyal Continental flyer but have done flights on United enough to know that it's not that bad. I've done their business class to Europe and Asia and with the new lie-flat seats it's actually really nice.

Domestically they aren't that bad either and I think, from conversations I've had with Continental people, that IAH will actually see an increase in traffic. Continental culture will definitely prevail, even though I've had "interesting" experiences with them in Newark.

I am a loyal Continental flyer but have done flights on United enough to know that it's not that bad. I've done their business class to Europe and Asia and with the new lie-flat seats it's actually really nice.

Domestically they aren't that bad either and I think, from conversations I've had with Continental people, that IAH will actually see an increase in traffic. Continental culture will definitely prevail, even though I've had "interesting" experiences with them in Newark.

People keep complaining about how bad United Service is, but I really don't care about service, all I want is to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. I have never flown on United but whats so bad about its customer service? Not that I am taking up for them. If it wasn't for the Houston hub, I would actually wish nothing good for this new company. If it would have been based in Houston, then I would wish it the best.

People keep complaining about how bad United Service is, but I really don't care about service, all I want is to get from point A to point B as cheaply as possible. I have never flown on United but whats so bad about its customer service? Not that I am taking up for them. If it wasn't for the Houston hub, I would actually wish nothing good for this new company. If it would have been based in Houston, then I would wish it the best.

From conversations I've had, I think we'll see IAH grow, especially to places in Europe and possibly the Middle East.

The documents that both airlines have released don't have the merged operations certificate in effect until 2012, which means that they'll be operating as separate entities at least until that point. I would guess another 3-5 years after that sees the move to a specific city and at that point, whichever of the two make more fiscal sense, they'll have the airline move there.

I never said it was bad, its just not as good as Continental. In flight I have no issues, but when I'm at the airport and my flight is delayed or canceled because of weather, I want good service to help me get to point b, whether its by being routed through another city or partner airline. Continental steps up and makes this happen effectively. I haven't flown United enough to get a real good feel, and have had some good experiences with them in the airport, but whenever I've called their CSRs to deal with issues or book rewards tickets, they have not been helpful.

I never said it was bad, its just not as good as Continental. In flight I have no issues, but when I'm at the airport and my flight is delayed or canceled because of weather, I want good service to help me get to point b, whether its by being routed through another city or partner airline. Continental steps up and makes this happen effectively. I haven't flown them enough to get a real good feel, and have had some good experiences with them in the airport, but whenever I've called their CSRs to deal with issues or book rewards tickets, they have not been helpful.

Ok, now I see. That can be a problem.

Archived