Rossmoyne Blvd.

Ross

While perusing the city directories that were mentioned the other day, I noticed some of the wealthy folks lived on Rossmoyne Blvd. I can't find it on the maps I have found so far. Anyone have an idea where it was, or what the new name might be?

While perusing the city directories that were mentioned the other day, I noticed some of the wealthy folks lived on Rossmoyne Blvd. I can't find it on the maps I have found so far. Anyone have an idea where it was, or what the new name might be?

Don't know the reason for the change but

Rossmoyne is now Yoakum.

Don't know the reason for the change but

Rossmoyne is now Yoakum.

That makes sense. Thanks!

Looking at the block books for Yoakum South of Richmond, the subdivision is named Rossmoyne, and is on either side of Yoakum from Montrose to Mt. Vernon, South to 59, which apparently covered up a Kenwood Ave. The block book for block 1 shows portions of the two southernmost lots were taken by the State in 1958.

Looking at the block book maps for Yoakum North of Richmond, the street was apparently named Yoakum from the beginning. Perhaps Rossmoyne was changed to match the rest of the street.

Ahh the joys of online research.

I had that name - Rossmoyne in my notes to look up, as well (after looking through those directories)...I'd never heard of the blvd. before. I love to see those old subdivision ads, Magnolia Park had quite a few in one of them.

My guess is that it might have happened about the time Ross Sterling died in 1949. After his death, it probably seemed like a good idea to have the Yoakum name on both sides of Richmond. Of course, that's just speculation. The lapse of deed restrictions and the building of the Southwest Freeway certainly had an impact on the Rossmoyne neighborhood's identity.

• 9 years later...

Late to this topic, but just realized my birth certificate shows home address as Rossmoyne.  I knew my parents lived in a garage apartment at the time, and my mom used to say we were driving where the apartment was, anytime I drove on 59.  Never knew the spelling until I noticed it today.  June 1957, btw.  Name change must have been later.

In the City directories I spot checked from 1930 to 1956, Rossmoyne Blvd is described as 2 blocks South of Richmond, 1 block West of Montrose, a continuation of Yoakum. In the 1953 aerials on Google Earth, it deadends at what must be Kenwood Street, which runs East and West with houses backing up to the then existing railroad tracks.

In other trivia, the Kinkaid School was at on the South side of Richmond between Graustark and Yupon, across from the telephone exchange building, and was located there from 1924 until 1957.

11 hours ago, Ross said:

In the City directories I spot checked from 1930 to 1956, Rossmoyne Blvd is described as 2 blocks South of Richmond, 1 block West of Montrose, a continuation of Yoakum. In the 1953 aerials on Google Earth, it deadends at what must be Kenwood Street, which runs East and West with houses backing up to the then existing railroad tracks.

In other trivia, the Kinkaid School was at on the South side of Richmond between Graustark and Yupon, across from the telephone exchange building, and was located there from 1924 until 1957.

That’s very interesting about the Kincaid School. There is a post office and the recently built Muse apartment complex there now. I believe there was an old, garden style apartment complex where the Muse is currently, but don’t recall what preceded the post office.

• 5 months later...

Very interesting.  I've been wondering where Rossmoyne went.  I (and siblings and parents) lived on Rossmoyne in 1950 plus/minus a couple of years.  Now I know, and can reconcile with Google Maps.  And I remember Kinkaid, only a couple of blocks away. The Tax Plots were helpful.  As an aside, I (and my brother and sister) went to Montrose Elementary, walked of course.  Out the back door, up the alley to Richmond, and then on our way. Tax maps also show where that was, and long gone, too. https://books.tax.hctx.net/v023/AE1997_23-24_0030.jpg

Bill W,  now outside NYC....

• The title was changed to Rossmoyne Blvd.

Archived