1001 McKinney: Office Skyscraper At 1001 McKinney St.

editor

Does anyone on HAIF work in, or regularly visit 1001 McKinney? I'm trying to find out how many floors it has. I've seen both 22 and 24. It would be nice to hear from someone who can actually go into an elevator and look at the buttons (and note if there's a 13 or not).

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone on HAIF work in, or regularly visit 1001 McKinney? I'm trying to find out how many floors it has. I've seen both 22 and 24. It would be nice to hear from someone who can actually go into an elevator and look at the buttons (and note if there's a 13 or not).

We've got 22 floors, including lucky 13.

• Like 1

Speaking of same, recently received this email:

Tour Perkins & Will, Certified Green Building

As one in a series of free tours of green buildings in Houston, you are invited to see the office of Perkins + Will Architects on Thursday, May 6, 2010. "Open house style" guided tours will be offered approximately every 30 minutes from 11:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. Perkins + Will is located at 1001 McKinney, in downtown Houston , Texas 77002, at the Downtown Rail Stop. Please visit www.houstontx.gov/mayor/leedtour.pdf for more details and a map.

Green buildings save owners and users money with greater energy efficiency. They are better for our environment with more reuse of material. Ultimately, they foster a happier and healthier workplace for employees.

We very much welcome your participation in this event and your interest and support for green building efforts across Houston . For more information on Green Building Tours, please contact Steve Stelzer at 713-535-7508 or e-mail at steve.stelzer@cityofhouston.net

• Like 1

Green buildings save owners and users money with greater energy efficiency. They are better for our environment with more reuse of material. Ultimately, they foster a happier and healthier workplace for employees.

How does a green building make someone happier while at work? Has anyone experienced this for themselves?

• Like 1

How does a green building make someone happier while at work? Has anyone experienced this for themselves?

I don't know if this counts, but most of the places I worked when I was in radio had no windows. A very few did, though, and those were much better operations with happier employees. I even felt better about going to work, comparatively, as well. Sure, co-workers and money and other factors played a role, but having worked in offices with no windows and worked in offices with lots of windows, I prefer to see outside. Since the use of natural light in offices is one of the "green" initiatives, I can see how that might work.

While I enjoy the smell of a new car, some people are sensitive to VOC's. A lot of new offices are kitted out with low-VOC carpets, paint, and cubicles.

I think it's about figuring out which "green" things are also good for the workers.

I can see insurance companies eventually (if they haven't already) getting on board with this sort of thing. Happy workers mean fewer sick days and medical expenses for the insurance company to cover.

• Like 2

I don't know if this counts, but most of the places I worked when I was in radio had no windows. A very few did, though, and those were much better operations with happier employees. I even felt better about going to work, comparatively, as well. Sure, co-workers and money and other factors played a role, but having worked in offices with no windows and worked in offices with lots of windows, I prefer to see outside. Since the use of natural light in offices is one of the "green" initiatives, I can see how that might work.

While I enjoy the smell of a new car, some people are sensitive to VOC's. A lot of new offices are kitted out with low-VOC carpets, paint, and cubicles.

I think it's about figuring out which "green" things are also good for the workers.

I can see insurance companies eventually (if they haven't already) getting on board with this sort of thing. Happy workers mean fewer sick days and medical expenses for the insurance company to cover.

Absolutely agree.

Back in 1980, I worked for Taylor Instruments in Rochester NY. They extensively modified an existing building for use as its R&D facility, and made it as energy efficient as current technology allowed. This included very thick applications of urethane foam, no windows, lots of new paint and flooring, restricted air exchange - the usual suspects for a 'sick' building. The occupants promptly suffered from blinding headaches, hacking coughs, and nausea, and it's safe to assume that productivity suffered.

An extreme example, to be sure, but if there's a choice, why unnecessarily expose people to suspect conditions?

Absolutely agree.

Back in 1980, I worked for Taylor Instruments in Rochester NY. They extensively modified an existing building for use as its R&D facility, and made it as energy efficient as current technology allowed. This included very thick applications of urethane foam, no windows, lots of new paint and flooring, restricted air exchange - the usual suspects for a 'sick' building. The occupants promptly suffered from blinding headaches, hacking coughs, and nausea, and it's safe to assume that productivity suffered.

An extreme example, to be sure, but if there's a choice, why unnecessarily expose people to suspect conditions?

Great example. I've heard from architects that there's good money in redesigning buildings that were buttoned up in the 70's energy crisis and became "sick" buildings.

• 4 years later...

Cameron Management on Thursday afternoon showed off the progress of the first phase of a major renovation program at the historic 1001 McKinney building.

Building tenants, commercial real estate brokers and other guests gathered in the two-story lobby of the 24-story building, which was built in 1947 to house the City National Bank.

The building is getting $3 million of renovation work in the first phase, which consists of a new art deco inspired awning for the main entrance, a new conference facility, and lobby enhancements. Ken R. Harry Associates is the project architect.

“We conducted interviews and focus groups with key office brokers, and with existing and prospective tenants to ensure that the final product of this effort would respond to market preferences and trends,” Dougal Cameron, CEO of Cameron Management, said in an announcement.

A new entry into Morton’s Steakhouse, which co-hosted the reception, has been well received by tenants. Previously, the building was accessible only from the street.

Cameron Management handles leasing of the building, while Hines is managing the property and working with the owners on the renovations.

Deals are in the works for more than 200,000 square feet of space at Cameron Management’s 1001 McKinney Building and the nearby Esperson Building, Michael Ross, leasing representative for Cameron Management, said at the reception.

1001 McKinney, located at Main Street along the Metro rail line, is currently 85 percent leased.

http://blog.chron.com/primeproperty/2014/09/photo-tour-1001-mckinney-renovations-in-progress/#27053101=111001-mc-kinney-005.jpg

• Like 3

Interesting.  This is less than 15 years after the last re-do, which involved completely closing the building and going through it top to bottom.  This is a much more targeted renovation, taking care of a few oddities.  I've always wondered why Morton's didn't have an entry from the lobby in the first place, and yes, the tunnel area seemed to be almost an afterthought with how it's arranged.  I had my office there right after the last renovation, which really wasn't quite finished.  They repointed and regrouted a lot of the brickwork, the sound of which was like sitting in a dentist's office all day long.  Don't get me started on that garage, with its single helix and the resulting narrow, two way lanes.

• Thanks 1

1001-mckinney*600xx629-419-0-31.png

To better compete in Houston’s active downtown office marketCameron Management is renovating two of its historic properties.

Renovations are underway for 1001 McKinney and the Esperson Building, which the Houston-based company owns and leases. It also manages Esperson. Hines manages McKinney.

Renovations at McKinney, a 24-floor office tower built in 1947, include a new awning along the main entrance, a new conference facility and enhancements to the lobby. The $3 million renovation is slated for completion in nine months. It is 83-percent leased by tenants such as Clean Line Energy Partners and Thorp Petroleum Corp. Ken R. Harry Associates is the architect, and D.E. Harvey is the general contractor. Both are based in Houston.

“These buildings give tenants the opportunity to still be downtown, but with lower prices,” Dougal Cameron, president of Houston-based Cameron Management, said. “But it’s important that we keep them up to date.”

He said space in these older buildings rents for about $35 per square foot, compared to many of the new trophy buildings, which can rent for $50 per square foot and more.

Cameron’s Esperson building on Travis Street will see $20 million worth of renovations, a five-year project that started in 2012. It was built in 1927. The project includes new sprinkler systems, updates to the lobby, new escalators and new meeting space for tenants. Houston-based Page is the architect for the project. Cameron is overseeing the construction. The building is currently 65 percent leased to tenants such as the Houston Symphony.

Another iconic downtown building, Pennzoil Place, is going through an extensive $16 million renovation.

http://www.bizjournals.com/houston/blog/breaking-ground/2014/09/cameron-management-renovates-two-historic.html?ana=twt

• Like 2

• The title was changed to 1001 McKinney: Downtown Office Tower
  • The title was changed to 1001 McKinney: Downtown Office Tower At 1001 McKinney St.
  • 8 months later...
  • The title was changed to 1001 McKinney: Office Skyscraper At 1001 McKinney St.