Historic Houston City Directories

sevfiv

I haven't had much trouble looking at these directories, it gets stuck in the middle of trying to access sometimes, I just restart, and it appears. Maybe it's because I'm just opening, and not saving.

This info. is great, I was able to look up my great-grandfather and his employer from the 1920's.

I love those ads.

what is this?

Big thick books that list every resident of Houston for the years covered by the directory. There are also advertisements from businesses, and a list of residents by address. Great tool for history research, genealogy, etc. A predecessor to the phone book.

• 3 months later...

Hmmm. Seems like it's trying to install a Windows .exe file (maybe an inline reader plug-in?) on my computer when I click on the file, when that fails it downloads the 48 MB file to my hard drive. <_< Viewing it in Preview has too poor of resolution to be readable.

I am sure having a tough time with the 1942 directory.

The (small) names are sure hard to read. I didn't have the problem with the previous files.

I realize that the library is probably trying to keep the file sizes down, but the directories should have been scanned at a higher resolution. I looked through the 1939-1942 directories, and was disappointed to find many of the names and addresses are illegible.

I just looked through the first part of 1942 and yeah - same complaint (though nothing tried to install a file like marmer described)..

I *think* a third party did the scanning but they were all from the microform copies so if the microform was bad, there's no fix..

Which year did you try to download? What was the file name(s)?

Sev, I tried the first file in the series. The file name is enormously descriptive: "187.pdf."

Tried it twice, both times it goes to a download link. That actually makes sense for them, I guess, maybe saves them some bandwidth.

Can you right-click on the "Access this item. (48.12 MB)" link and choose "save link as?"

When I left-click on the access link, however, a save/open option opens for me anyhow..

Sev, both things you describe sound like a download. I'd like to view it in the browser without downloading a 48 MB file to my hard drive every time. I did try the right-click option "Open Link in New Tab" but that just opens a blank tab, and (surprise!) starts another download.

If you use Firefox you can go to Tools --> Options --> Applications - there should be a few Adobe Acrobat/Readers in the list. You can set how you want Firefox to handle opening PDFs - either ask each time, prompt to save file, open in Acrobat/Reader (externally), or open in Firefox (need the Firefox plugin...would prompt you to get it if you don't have it already).

I think the 48MB will still be kept in your browser's temp folder but you can manually clear that out..

I actually have the newest version of Safari and Adobe Reader configured to default to browser viewing. I'm pretty sure that the HPL link forces a download, probably to save them bandwidth from casual online viewers like me. But I don't know enough about html to be able to tell by looking at the source code.

Archived