Condo Slated For 11th & Studewood St.

fwki

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I "TOPEKA'd" CONDO and STUDEWOOD and got no hits. Must be a hoax. :rolleyes:

I however, TOPEKA'd STRIP CLUB and STUDEWOOD and I found some plans for a Big Un's Topless Bar for that corner. I'm sure the Jr High kids next door will love it! lol

Wasn't remotely credible enough to be believed. Should've been an Exxon decision to consolidate downtown and to move their corporate HQ here as well.

Thread Title: XOM to build World's Tallest Building in Houston (hires local design firm)

I can wish...

^_^

• 9 months later...

April fools come true!!! (sort of)

http://swamplot.com/studewood-place-some-new-building-behind-the-11th-st-someburger/2011-01-25/#more-25353

Details on the 6-story mixed-use building being planned for the corner of Studewood and 11th 1/2 St. in the Heights will be announced “very soon,” a representative of the new property owner promises Swamplot.

They’re planning a cast-in-place concrete structure with an all- or mostly masonry exterior, containing apartments or condos and “some retail.” Also included: some multi-level parking and some “really cool green space.” Car entrances will be on both Studewood and 11th 1/2. The architect is from San Antonio; a local historical consultant is working to make sure the design is what the developer considers “period appropriate.” The long-vacant site is the former home of the Globe Laundry; the new project is registered under TCEQ’s Dry Cleaner Remediation Program, which the developer says doesn’t appear to require any solvent cleanup on the site. Vita Nuova plans to put a sign up soon announcing more details in the next 30 days.

developer website: http://vitanuovallc.com/index.html

Get ready for the NIMBYS.....

I doubt any will on this one...but some people will find a problem with anything.

"The architect is from San Antonio; a local historical consultant is working to make sure the design is what the developer considers “period appropriate.”"

But then again, nothing is more period appropriate than a vacant lot, I suppose. Even the dirt is mostly original.. B)

April fools come true!!! (sort of)

http://swamplot.com/...-25/#more-25353

I was a little off on the scale (6 instead of 14 stories, but that could be driven by steel prices) but I'm hearing the "Mixed Use" is Exxon, Starbucks and BigUn's. Now all we need is one of those new Circle W Walmart QuikStop's on the ground floor to gett he NIMBY's mobilized.

I doubt any will on this one...but some people will find a problem with anything.

"The architect is from San Antonio; a local historical consultant is working to make sure the design is what the developer considers “period appropriate.”"

But then again, nothing is more period appropriate than a vacant lot, I suppose. Even the dirt is mostly original.. B)

I anticipate the height as the major complaint. 6 stories is out of scale...if its made to look period appropriate, it will just be another Mc(fill in the blank) McLowrise maybe? I dont know?

It seems that quite a few people in the heights will complain about everything!

It wouldn't surprise me if quite a few of these would pop up in the future lining the major roads in the heights, but I doubt it would go within neighborhoods. At least, not in my lifetime.

I do have to agree about the height of the project, though. I don't think it should NOT be any higher than 8, and hope they do as much as they can to make it walkable and to keep any trees that may be in future developments.

Who remembers the cell tower, er, clock tower Battle Royale between Sprint and WHCA? I sure hope the new building doesn't block my signal.

I anticipate the height as the major complaint. 6 stories is out of scale...if its made to look period appropriate, it will just be another Mc(fill in the blank) McLowrise maybe? I dont know?

It seems that quite a few people in the heights will complain about everything!

what if it looks like a bungalow with a 6 story (mc)camelback?

I think this is hilarious. I can't wait to watch the fireworks. I'm microwaving the popcorn as we speak.

Red, is it butter flavor? Gotta have the butter otherwise it doesn't have any taste unless you leave it in the microwave too long.

Undoubtedly, the fireworks will start soon. The word is it is planned for 2 stories of retail, 2 of parking and 2 for residential. It will give the anti-development, anti-progress, hysterical preservationists something to be hysterical about. Clearly they are already going crazy starting rumors that it is 14 stories. They will be lobbying to have a 1 story, 2 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow built on the site. The developer needs to be prepared for a fight at every turn. The traffic studies will start. The crime and safety concerns will be brought to the planning department. Spend some time down at the planning commission meetings. There is some group that shows up to planning every other Thursday to complain about some developer or business owner trying to make something out of the property they own and they always meet with neighborhood resistance. Always. This deal will create a storm from our own neighborhood nutjobs who don't understand that urban redevelopment is going to happen all over, including the Heights.

Their heads might actually pop off.

Red, is it butter flavor? Gotta have the butter otherwise it doesn't have any taste unless you leave it in the microwave too long.

Undoubtedly, the fireworks will start soon. The word is it is planned for 2 stories of retail, 2 of parking and 2 for residential. It will give the anti-development, anti-progress, hysterical preservationists something to be hysterical about. Clearly they are already going crazy starting rumors that it is 14 stories. They will be lobbying to have a 1 story, 2 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow built on the site. The developer needs to be prepared for a fight at every turn. The traffic studies will start. The crime and safety concerns will be brought to the planning department. Spend some time down at the planning commission meetings. There is some group that shows up to planning every other Thursday to complain about some developer or business owner trying to make something out of the property they own and they always meet with neighborhood resistance. Always. This deal will create a S**T storm from our own neighborhood nutjobs who don't understand that urban redevelopment is going to happen all over, including the Heights.

Their heads might actually pop off.

The 14 story rumor, was a joke last year on April 1.....gotta look at the original thread date.

The word is it is planned for 2 stories of retail, 2 of parking and 2 for residential. It will give the anti-development, anti-progress, hysterical preservationists something to be hysterical about. Clearly they are already going crazy starting rumors that it is 14 stories. They will be lobbying to have a 1 story, 2 bedroom, 1 bath bungalow built on the site. The developer needs to be prepared for a fight at every turn. The traffic studies will start. The crime and safety concerns will be brought to the planning department. Spend some time down at the planning commission meetings. There is some group that shows up to planning every other Thursday to complain about some developer or business owner trying to make something out of the property they own and they always meet with neighborhood resistance. Always. This deal will create a storm from our own neighborhood nutjobs who don't understand that urban redevelopment is going to happen all over, including the Heights.

I'm wondering why preservationists would get upset over a vacant lot.

The 2-stories of retail with garage parking sounds potentially interesting. It'd be great to have something besides Decapo's to walk to, as much as I love Decapo's.

To me this looks like a developer on a fishing expedition.....he's got some property (or rights to it), he's got an idea, he gets some good-faith work from an architect with nothing else to do, pulls a few permits and then he starts selling. The most expensive thing is the rent-a-fence. Nothing "ground up" in the commercial sphere will happen on spec. It's a "new firm" probably some recent cast-offs from another under-water commercial developer. If he already has solid tenants to back financing, then he would be running in stealth mode. You'll know for sure when the big sign with the artist rendition appears before any real money is burned, kicking off the NIMBY parade. Mixed Use = We Have No Idea....and is one of the hardest to finance.

To me this looks like a developer on a fishing expedition.....he's got some property (or rights to it), he's got an idea, he gets some good-faith work from an architect with nothing else to do, pulls a few permits and then he starts selling. The most expensive thing is the rent-a-fence. Nothing "ground up" in the commercial sphere will happen on spec. It's a "new firm" probably some recent cast-offs from another under-water commercial developer. If he already has solid tenants to back financing, then he would be running in stealth mode. You'll know for sure when the big sign with the artist rendition appears before any real money is burned, kicking off the NIMBY parade. Mixed Use = We Have No Idea....and is one of the hardest to finance.

I heard they did pick up a tenant for the first 2 stories, I heard it's going to be a Walmart corner grocery store!

Maybe. The word also is he has cash to spend. Further, that it is a go. He talked with various folks who encouraged other retail development but this is what he decided on.

I think this is accurate. This project reminds me of the proposed mid-rise condo development some guy planned for Westheimer in Montrose. It was called "The Westheimer" and was supposed to be where the empty lot is next to Buffalo Exchange. You can still see the sign on google maps. He wanted to cram 8-10 stories into a tiny lot. He had drawings, a website, a fence and even started messing with some site prep. Of course, it never happened.

I think this guy knows the neighborhood will go crazy if he tries to put six stories on a 25,000 sq ft lot and is floating this idea in order to look like a saint when he is unable to deliver on the six story project and has to scale down to a two story development with ground level parking.

Frankly, I hope this guy builds six stories. People in the Heights are getting very well organized between stop walmart and the historic preservation group. Another stupid development will just grow the ranks of those who will push for some sort of limited zoning ordinance. Houston is not post-1980s foreclosure crisis Houston. We are not desparate for any development. People are tired of bad land use choices and are going to demand a greater public role in private development in the City. The question for developers is whether they want to see this happen sooner or later. If they try to dot the Heights with mid and high rise developments, they are going to see zoning much sooner.

I think this is accurate. This project reminds me of the proposed mid-rise condo development some guy planned for Westheimer in Montrose. It was called "The Westheimer" and was supposed to be where the empty lot is next to Buffalo Exchange. You can still see the sign on google maps. He wanted to cram 8-10 stories into a tiny lot. He had drawings, a website, a fence and even started messing with some site prep. Of course, it never happened.

I think this guy knows the neighborhood will go crazy if he tries to put six stories on a 25,000 sq ft lot and is floating this idea in order to look like a saint when he is unable to deliver on the six story project and has to scale down to a two story development with ground level parking.

Frankly, I hope this guy builds six stories. People in the Heights are getting very well organized between stop walmart and the historic preservation group. Another stupid development will just grow the ranks of those who will push for some sort of limited zoning ordinance. Houston is not post-1980s foreclosure crisis Houston. We are not desparate for any development. People are tired of bad land use choices and are going to demand a greater public role in private development in the City. The question for developers is whether they want to see this happen sooner or later. If they try to dot the Heights with mid and high rise developments, they are going to see zoning much sooner.

Correct me if I am wrong, but aren't you the same person that has been screaming for a mixed-use project instead of walmart? Isn't mixed-use "responsible urban development"? I guess if your pursuit is to just control everything, then you can lobby for, and then against the same thing...

Archived