What Was That Pink Tower?

NotR

Around the same time the Transco Tower went up, a friend showed me a tall, thin building that I remember as being round and made of pink granite, with two darker red veins running up the length of it. I would have said it was in the same area because we were on our way to the Galleria. Could it have been this hexagonal thing that I find in the aerial photos at Google Maps?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...
Here's another web page with a picture of San Felipe Plaza.

Richard Keating (the same guy who did Wells Fargo downtown, CenterPoint Energy Tower, and the El Paso Energy Building) designed this when he was working for SOM. Last summer he told me it was one of his favorites.

It's meant as an homage to two other Skidmore towers -- the similarly sheathed one on Louisiana St. (I can't remember the name of it, but it has the DuBuffet sculpture in front and is adjacent to Wells Fargo) and the Bank of America Plaza in San Francisco.

Together with Marathon Tower, it is one of those uniquely Houston skyscrapers, considering it rises out of a neighborhood of single family homes, small retail and churches. Marathon is, to me, the more dramatic and beautiful tower. This one is nice, too, though.

Here's another web page with a picture of San Felipe Plaza.

Richard Keating (the same guy who did Wells Fargo downtown, CenterPoint Energy Tower, and the El Paso Energy Building) designed this when he was working for SOM. Last summer he told me it was one of his favorites.

He did the El Paso building? Wasn't that one from like the late 50's/early 60's?

It's meant as an homage to two other Skidmore towers -- the similarly sheathed one on Louisiana St. (I can't remember the name of it, but it has the DuBuffet sculpture in front and is adjacent to Wells Fargo) and the Bank of America Plaza in San Francisco.

Together with Marathon Tower, it is one of those uniquely Houston skyscrapers, considering it rises out of a neighborhood of single family homes, small retail and churches. Marathon is, to me, the more dramatic and beautiful tower. This one is nice, too, though.

I always thought it seemed a bit chunky, despite its height. Both of these towers seem like a waste to me, since they don't add anything to our skylines. Most people don't even know they exist.

Both of these towers seem like a waste to me, since they don't add anything to our skylines. Most people don't even know they exist.

I wouldn't call them a waste, I think they add great character to the Uptown Skyline. When viewed from the Observation deck, they look like the center of a dense skyline with the Four Leaf Condo Towers and other buildings close by. (But that of corse is an illusion) Its also nice to have something that tall besides the Williams Tower.

• 2 weeks later...
I wouldn't call them a waste, I think they add great character to the Uptown Skyline. When viewed from the Observation deck, they look like the center of a dense skyline with the Four Leaf Condo Towers and other buildings close by. (But that of corse is an illusion) Its also nice to have something that tall besides the Williams Tower.

Call me crazy but I always liked the buildings that stick out in weird places. It adds a freaky charm to our no zoned city.

Archived