FOX TV Show "Midland" Partly Set in Houston Taping in Dallas

citykid09

FOX TV Show "Midland" Partly Set in Houston Taping in Dallas

Pilot with Jon Voight being shot in Dallas

DALLAS — Jon Voight and other actors are in Dallas this week finishing up a television show called "Midland."

Dallas Film Commission director Janis Burklund said Monday that the Fox pilot has been shooting this month at several locations in the Dallas-Fort Worth Area.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/tx/6934835.html

• 5 months later...

It looks like the this show will now be called "Lone Star" and will join the NBC show "Chase" as being set in Houston. I'm still amazed that two major network shows (with good early reviews) are being set in Houston...even if they are actually being filmed in Dallas/Fort Worth. Where's that Astrodome Studio when you need it?

http://www.fox.com/lonestar/

http://www.nbc.com/chase/

It looks like the this show will now be called "Lone Star" and will join the NBC show "Chase" as being set in Houston. I'm still amazed that two major network shows (with good early reviews) are being set in Houston...even if they are actually being filmed in Dallas/Fort Worth. Where's that Astrodome Studio when you need it?

http://www.fox.com/lonestar/

http://www.nbc.com/chase/

Hope the show Chase ends up being a franchise like CSI and Law & Order. Just wished they would have called it Chase Houston, and future shows could have been for example Chase LA, Chase NYC, etc. Waiting on the Astrodome Studio as well. Imagine the possibilities with a studio that big.

Hope the show Chase ends up being a franchise like CSI and Law & Order. Just wished they would have called it Chase Houston, and future shows could have been for example Chase LA, Chase NYC, etc. Waiting on the Astrodome Studio as well. Imagine the possibilities with a studio that big.

Law & Order worked because it was well-written and was not the typical two-dimensional cops and robbers show. The cinematography was staid, but still waters run deep; it was story-driven, and you could watch any random episode and "get it", or view episodes chronologically and watch as characters developed and broader story arcs unfolded. With each passing year, it becomes more and more evident that the Law & Order franchise has matured, and NBC has responded by frantically trying to milk it into oblivion. I don't give any of the remaining Law & Order series more than a few seasons...which is still more than I expect from Chase.

EDIT: If I'm wrong, then that'll be one less shred of confidence that I have in there being hope for the future of humanity.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I watched both of these premieres on Monday night. Lone Star was ok, a little weak in parts if you ask me. It does have potential though. The annoying part of this show is that while it's partly set in Houston they don't attempt to portray Houston. It's obvious they're in Dallas, but they refer to it as Houston.

Chase on the other hand was really good. You can see the Jerry Bruckheimer influence all over this show. It's a pretty high budget affair along the lines of CSI. The premise is set around a group of US Marshalls who office out of downtown Houston, they hunt down a different fugitive in each show. We get the customary flybys of downtown Houston day and night, pretty cool. They portray Houston well with a good attention to detail - they mentioned Ben Taub, Briar Forest, River Oaks, etc. all in the first episode. Smaller portions of the show were also set in Fort Worth, San Antonio, and El Paso, but no Dallas. It looks like they're really trying to appeal to the Texas audience with this one. Check it out.

I also watched the two shows on Monday night. I agree with you on Lonestar, it seemed OK. I'll watch it again but I think there is room for improvement.

I was very disappointed in Chase. I thought the acting was a bit stiff. The actors had no chemistry with each other. Maybe that will change.

I have high hopes for both shows but time will tell. Houston needs some positive exposure, even if it's "really" Dallas.

Viewers across the country will have no idea that these shows are filmed in Dallas rather than Houston.

But they will become familiar and learn more about Houston (e.g. references to Briar Forest, Ben Taub, etc.)

Overall, good PR for Houston

I do find it humorous that Dallas finally gets two high profile shows to tape in their city, but the producers decide the shows would be better if set in Houston. They went out of their way to portray Dallas as Houston. I would be ticked off if it were the other way around.

I do find it humorous that Dallas finally gets two high profile shows to tape in their city, but the producers decide the shows would be better if set in Houston. They went out of their way to portray Dallas as Houston. I would be ticked off if it were the other way around.

I watched 3 of the new shows taped in and about Texas (My Generation, Lonestar, and Chase). I think they are all good. I really like My Generation which is taped in Austin, its a really good show. I don't know why they insisted on basing Chase in Houston when it could has just as easily been set in Dallas. And in Lonestar its obvious that its Dallas when they are in the high rise and they show out the window. Back to Chase though, I think the producers need to pay a little more attention to detail. For instance the team took a trip to Las Vegas, when they got there they brought out all of these vehicles which had Nevada plates, but in the windshield you could see the Texas inspection and registration stickers. Also while they were riding around Las Vegas it was all green with trees and a southern feel to it not a desert feel. I hope they all can survive though. TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched 3 of the new shows taped in and about Texas (My Generation, Lonestar, and Chase). I think they are all good. I really like My Generation which is taped in Austin, its a really good show. I don't know why they insisted on basing Chase in Houston when it could has just as easily been set in Dallas. And in Lonestar its obvious that its Dallas when they are in the high rise and they show out the window. Back to Chase though, I think the producers need to pay a little more attention to detail. For instance the team took a trip to Las Vegas, when they got there they brought out all of these vehicles which had Nevada plates, but in the windshield you could see the Texas inspection and registration stickers. Also while they were riding around Las Vegas it was all green with trees and a southern feel to it not a desert feel. I hope they all can survive though. TEXAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I did watch this week's episode of Chase so I think I can comment on your concern. I do know that the truck that the main villain was in had the Texas stickers because he drove it from Texas to Arizona and then Nevada. I'm not sure if the other cars had Nevada or Texas stickers. I do agree with your detail comment- I think when they were in Dallas they had a police car int he background that clearly said "Round Rock Police" and when they were in Galveston they showed a wooded environment from what looks like North Houston as compared to Galveston. they missed an opportunity here to show the island. I also wonder why they insist on making Texans look like Dixie South Easterners instead of well Texans. Also they had some mexicans which they refer to as 'latinos' but it seems like the dialect they were speaking was more mexican-californian english instead of mexican-texan english. I wonder how many people outside of Texas would pick up on these though?

Lonestar has been canceled so that one is gone but let's hope Chase improves and improves quickly.

That's fine, like I said earlier, I liked Chase better than Lone Star anyhow. Plus it's much more Houston-centric than Lone Star was. Dallas is the biggest loser here, all the shots of their fair city (once again, portrayed as Houston) are now gone. Chase hasn't yet attempted to pass off any Dallas-specific shots as Houston.

Earlier today another Texas based/taped show was canceled "My Generation" which taped in Austin. This is the second show canceled this season and also the second Texas based show canceled this season. Its kind of strange that of all of the shows on TV, 2 of the 4 Texas based shows would get canceled first.

Archived