Greater Houston TIRZ No. 24

Almeda seems to the perfect corridor connecting downtown, midtown, museum district/med-center. And with all the investment ocurring in these area, why has it been so slow to develop? any ideas or thoughts?

https://www.houstontx.gov/ecodev/tirz/24.html

Looks like TIRZ Number 24, Greater Houston, includes the infamous Buffalo Speedway/Holmes Road area. 

That whole area is prime for redevelopment. There are countless of acres a long Almeda Road, West Airport, West Bellfort, Holmes Road, Fannin, Buffalo Speedway, etc. etc. 

VFQDXNc.png

KF80k5A.png

• Like 1

Almeda has always been more of a industrial park to me. It runs a bit too far to the east of the med center, barely reaches midtown and doesnt actually reach downtown at all. I wish it was different. I love the brick intersections in the BINZ area. Many of the building along that stretch are beautiful.

Being from Pearland I also view it as a rural highway. I've always liked those big steel train depots that run along almeda down along the tracks. What were they for? Oil?

Guest danax
Almeda has always been more of a industrial park to me. It runs a bit too far to the east of the med center, barely reaches midtown and doesnt actually reach downtown at all. I wish it was different. I love the brick intersections in the BINZ area. Many of the building along that stretch are beautiful.

Being from Pearland I also view it as a rural highway. I've always liked those big steel train depots that run along almeda down along the tracks. What were they for? Oil?

I think one day it will be maybe widened and landscaped nicely and made into, as Lowbrow said, kind of an urban boulevard alternative. But there's nothing happening in Third Ward right now and the Midtown section is really the edge. The OST section is still rough too, although the Med Cntr is slowly spreading that way.

It is potentially a great location for development all along it but this inner-city boom of ours is really just in it's first or second wave so we have a lots of pockets of development without anything really filled in yet so that area sort of lies in wait for maybe a upcoming huge wave 3.

One thing I've noticed about Houston's inner city new development is that it is occuring everywhere. No one location is the focus and receiving all the attention. It's like the developing resources spreading thin in the loop and so it occurs more slowly.

If all the new development we see in the loop was focused on one area, we would be see that area have massive changes.

• 4 years later...

Over the last couple of days I've seen references in the paper to a proposed "South Loop TIRZ" in the vicinity of the Astrodome. I've seen a couple of references to the proposed South Loop TIRZ as being "huge" or "sprawling."

Does anyone know what the rough boundaries of this proposed TIRZ are?

Huge can mean different things to different people...is this "huge" TIRZ comprised of 2 acres, 200 acres, or 20,000 acres?

As a South Loop resident, I'm interested in what could be coming, and just how close the improvements might get to my neighborhood.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Almeda TIRZ
  • The title was changed to Greater Houston TIRZ No. 24

Buffalo Point/Holmes Road Wastewater Line

https://harriscountyrda24.org/buffalopoint/

The agreement known as Buffalo Point was executed 11/20/2014 for a participation amount of a maximum contribution of $3.5M for the purpose of constructing a wastewater line in conjunction with the paving improvements for Holmes Road, a designated major thoroughfare. This proposed infrastructure improvement opened approximately 1,300 acres within TIRZ area boundaries that could not previously obtain a building permit for wastewater services. Again, the purpose of creating TIRZ 24 was to open development opportunities to over 4,000 acres of vacant or underdeveloped acreage, in the southern area of the Zone, due to a lack of suitable infrastructure. This TIRZ investment will generate new taxable property values that “but for” the TIRZ investment otherwise would not have occurred in a timely manner within the service area.

GF4pbWr.png