Affordable Housing Apartments Near The Katy Mills Mall

usc619

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know, I say we start a shanty town out by Cleveland, have it surrounded by troops and then have a high speed rail network to make sure they are able to work (if they do) in the city and leave promptly when their various shifts end.

I don't know, I say we start a shanty town out by Cleveland, have it surrounded by troops and then have a high speed rail network to make sure they are able to work (if they do) in the city and leave promptly when their various shifts end.

I'm with you on everything but the high speed rail. The time of poor people isn't important. Let them walk to work. It may take a couple days, but hey, they're poor so who cares about them.

I'll say the same thing I said on City Data - Because outsiders can rationally determine what is best not just for that neighborhood, but for the city as a whole - Homeowners in that area may be too emotionally involved (having a fear of losing property values, however unjustified, or however justified)

ABC13 news story

I thinks it's funny when people who don't even own a home in the area, have the nerves to pass judgment on why homeowners don't want the apartments built......Why don't you show up to the meeting and volunteer your neighborhood?

Let's look at this from an infrastructure standpoint.

1. What is the exact plot of land proposed for the new development?

2. What is the capacity of the proposed complex?

3. Will the roads be overcome with traffic?

4. Will the schools be overcrowded?

The intersection is Katy Fort Bend Road at Grand Harbor Drive, and it is outside of the Katy city limits. See the map - I don't know if it will be built to the north of Katy Fort Bend or to the south of Katy Fort Bend.

EDIT: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7348297 It will be east of Katy Fort Bend and north of Grand Harbor

EDIT: According to http://apps.katyisd.org/public/katyisdcampusmap/Default.aspx The proposed site will be zoned to West Memorial Elementary School, West Memorial Junior High School, and Katy High School - Of the schools only KHS serves portions of the City of Katy

In regards to all three schools, what is the building utilization like? How many people is this complex supposed to hold? About how many of them are supposed to be children?

Here are school population statistics of the schools that would take children from this complex:

* Katy High School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002809/school.aspx

* West Memorial Junior High School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002813/school.aspx

* West Memorial Elementary School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002812/school.aspx

I don't know the exact capacity of West Memorial Junior High School - Many middle schools are around 1200, but WM JH as about 800. I wonder if it can more easily take an increase in population.

Another point is that this complex is in proximity to the Energy Corridor, a major business district - One could say that one needs to have another Section 8 complex within a reasonable distance to the Energy Corridor.

I'll say the same thing I said on City Data - Because outsiders can rationally determine what is best not just for that neighborhood, but for the city as a whole - Homeowners in that area may be too emotionally involved (having a fear of losing property values, however unjustified, or however justified)

Let's look at this from an infrastructure standpoint.

1. What is the exact plot of land proposed for the new development?

2. What is the capacity of the proposed complex?

3. Will the roads be overcome with traffic?

4. Will the schools be overcrowded?

The intersection is Katy Fort Bend Road at Grand Harbor Drive, and it is outside of the Katy city limits. See the map - I don't know if it will be built to the north of Katy Fort Bend or to the south of Katy Fort Bend.

EDIT: http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7348297 It will be east of Katy Fort Bend and north of Grand Harbor

EDIT: According to http://apps.katyisd.org/public/katyisdcampusmap/Default.aspx The proposed site will be zoned to West Memorial Elementary School, West Memorial Junior High School, and Katy High School - Of the schools only KHS serves portions of the City of Katy

In regards to all three schools, what is the building utilization like? How many people is this complex supposed to hold? About how many of them are supposed to be children?

Here are school population statistics of the schools that would take children from this complex:

* Katy High School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002809/school.aspx

* West Memorial Junior High School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002813/school.aspx

* West Memorial Elementary School: http://www.schooldigger.com/go/TX/schools/2517002812/school.aspx

I don't know the exact capacity of West Memorial Junior High School - Many middle schools are around 1200, but WM JH as about 800. I wonder if it can more easily take an increase in population.

Another point is that this complex is in proximity to the Energy Corridor, a major business district - One could say that one needs to have another Section 8 complex within a reasonable distance to the Energy Corridor.

I responded on city-data

ABC13 news story

I thinks it's funny when people who don't even own a home in the area, have the nerves to pass judgment on why homeowners don't want the apartments built......Why don't you show up to the meeting and volunteer your neighborhood?

If you just wanted this to be about you and your neighbors, then why'd you post this on a Houston board and City-Data, a national board. It seems to me you're not upset because we've passed judgement, but because the judgement we've passed doesn't mirror your own judgement.

ABC13 news story

If you don't want the possibility of living near poor people then you had best buy your house deep in the heart of a large master plan community. It should be no surprise to homeowners not in cinco ranch that these things will get built.

I don't see many [flies] around Willowbrook, Baybrook, Deerbrook, Memorial City, or First Colony mall...

Actually, I was referring to your comment about fast food restaurants and high end subdivisions. The flies will land (build) right outside the confines if that's where the money is at. A request or permission from the residents of the subdivisions in question isn't required.

If you just wanted this to be about you and your neighbors, then why'd you post this on a Houston board and City-Data, a national board. It seems to me you're not upset because we've passed judgement, but because the judgement we've passed doesn't mirror your own judgement.

Isn't that basically human nature, to seek people that are like minded to and validate their own beliefs, morals, and ethics?

He simply doesn't want to post here because he has a cause (as self absorbed as it may be), but rather, hoping to be able to find someone that is sympathetic to him and his plight.

We all do that to a certain extent.

I say we build a shantytown.

But I think it should be in the outskirts of Sealy, that way they can just travel down I-10 to be able to deliver his pizza.

USC, I am curious to know if your prejudice would include luxury apartments as well?

One of the things he said on city-data is that West Memorial elementary and junior high are relatively small for their size

I would like to see building utilization figures or capacity figures for the campuses. That way we can figure out if they can take more students easily.

West Memorial Elementary opened in 1973: http://web.archive.org/web/20060116130144/schools.katyisd.org/Portal/Default.aspx?tabid=60&campus=wme

The junior high opened in 1976: http://web.archive.org/web/20050206042956/schools.katyisd.org/Portal/Default.aspx?tabid=62&campus=wmjh

As I said earlier, being fairly close to the Energy Corridor may be a plus for the complex. After all someone needs to man the Energy Corridor sandwich shops, gas stations, retail stores, etc., and being close to work will be a plus for the residents.

From the article:

Elder's the Katy mayor, btw.

I think it's pretty clear his reason for opposing the complex, and I'm pretty sure you and I can agree that it's not because it'll ruin the pristine prarie landscape. That said, at least he's honest with his bigotry. I always prefer an honest bigot to a closeted bigot. Most (though undoubtably not all) of those other concerns are just word dressing to disguise the disgusting nature of dishonest bigotry. The real reason people oppose this apartment is because it's for poor people, and the likelihood is greater that a poor person won't be white, and there's a possibility that non-white people won't "even [be] American citizens".

So he doesn't like illegals. Boo hoo. Neither do many other Citizens.

Elder's quote was “Many of them aren’t even American citizens,” -- had nothing to do with illegals

I was quoting AtticaFinch who said:

Elder's the Katy mayor, btw.

I think it's pretty clear his reason for opposing the complex, and I'm pretty sure you and I can agree that it's not because it'll ruin the pristine prarie landscape. That said, at least he's honest with his bigotry. I always prefer an honest bigot to a closeted bigot. Most (though undoubtably not all) of those other concerns are just word dressing to disguise the disgusting nature of dishonest bigotry. The real reason people oppose this apartment is because it's for poor people, and the likelihood is greater that a poor person won't be white, and there's a possibility that non-white people won't "even [be] American citizens".

I was quoting AtticaFinch who said:

Is the L invisible in my nom de internet? Does neither your keyboard nor Gary's keyboard have an L key?

Also, I never mentioned illegals. You may have quoted my post, but you weren't responding to it.

Getting back on topic: Apartments may actually save the mall. It started out with a bang but went downhill quickly. (Unless things have drastically changed in the last year or two since I was there.). Only decent store is Bass Pro Shop. I wouldn't be surprised to see them leave when their lease is up. 

Is the L invisible in my nom de internet? Does neither your keyboard nor Gary's keyboard have an L key?

Also, I never mentioned illegals. You may have quoted my post, but you weren't responding to it.

You have an L in your name? Strange... Gary cant see his posts - presumably because he blocked himself somehow - and I dont see an L in your user name. Interesting.

Yes, I did quote your post. I was adding that so what if Elder does not like illegals. Neither do many others.

Yes, I did quote your post. I was adding that so what if Elder does not like illegals. Neither do many others.

So you inferred that Elder likely would not like illegals, but that was not directly supported by what Elder said. Next time, please make it clear and say "Based on what he said about non-Americans above, I would imagine that Elder would not like illegals either" or something like that.

So you inferred that Elder likely would not like illegals, but that was not directly supported by what Elder said. Next time, please make it clear and say "Based on what he said about non-Americans above, I would imagine that Elder would not like illegals either" or something like that.

1. Sure he does.

2. This is true.

Who cares whether a bunch of people who don't live in this area want to be flamers on the issue its the people who have invested many years of money on the area for nice homes and schools probably trying to get away from the same thing some fly by night developer wishes to build to make a qucik buck from the government and then bail.

In city after city, year after year it is a never ending circle that low income apartments end up becoming slums which in turn lead to high crime which in turn destroys any value of property, etc around it. You go look at most of those complexs and see who is living in them and you will find in many cities it is Blacks/Hispanics. Hell the blacks and hispanics will tell you what is going to happen in those places over time. In some areas you may find Asians as well along with some poor white trash. But don't come off that all people who live in low cost housing hold down all the low end jobs cause most of them don't hold jobs at all. You probably have about 10% of residents who actually give a crap about themselves or the place they live. The rest are there usually cause uncle sam is funding the majority of it from behind the scenes.

If these people in the Grand Harbor area or any of the areas around Katy don't want these slums coming up then more power to them. Also they will be adding more kids to already overcrowded schools.

Personaly I don't want to see anymore apartments go up regardless of luxury or low rent. But they will keep on building them as the developers have taken control of the area and what goes in.

Funny how for years some people have been stating that apartments are going to be no good for this area and got shouted down as racist, etc or whatever you wanted to call them (pretty much the same being said in the earlier post in this thread) but now that apartments are springing up in massive numbers and crowding in on many planned communities, etc a different tune is being heard.

You probably have about 10% of residents who actually give a crap about themselves or the place they live.

I take it you've gone out and done a thorough survey in various low-income apartment complexes around the area to come up with this nice, even number? :lol:

I don't need a survey I grew up around them all my life so I know what happens when low rent apartments come to town and I know many people that have lived in them.

Ok.

So you hung out with riff raff.

Yay.

Personaly I don't want to see anymore apartments go up regardless of luxury or low rent. But they will keep on building them as the developers have taken control of the area and what goes in.

Yes, when you own a piece of property you get to control what goes on that property. This tract of land is not even in Katy, so Katy city council should mind its own business.

Funny how for years some people have been stating that apartments are going to be no good for this area and got shouted down as racist, etc or whatever you wanted to call them (pretty much the same being said in the earlier post in this thread) but now that apartments are springing up in massive numbers and crowding in on many planned communities, etc a different tune is being heard.

I have not changed my tune. Which individual are you claiming has changed their tune?

Archived