Affordable Housing Apartments Near The Katy Mills Mall

usc619

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Low income apartments? OMG! That's going to ruin the beautiful landscape of Katy! The beigeness of the new strip centers and box stores sprouting up along the feeder roads, the cookie cutter subdivisions, the sloppy homemade signs on the roadsides, all ruined! :lol:

We already know Houston's zoning is crap(they don't have one), my point is it gets worse onces you're in unincorporated Harris co. It's bad enough that I have to see trash, homemade signs , trailer homes, warehouses and strip malls all over the place, but now I can add apartments to the list of my drive through Katy

One of the main reasons I'm always talking up Sugarland is because the Ft.Bend/Sugarland folks actually take pride in what goes in their area and how it's kept up.

The bottom line is you can't put a bunch of apartments in a concentrated area and think all of those renters are going to give a rats ass about what's going on with the care of our community

Greenspoint and Sharpstown are great examples......Sugarland on the other hand has done a great job with the First colony mall area

It's bad enough that I have to see trash, homemade signs , trailer homes, warehouses and strip malls all over the place, but now I can add apartments to the list of my drive through Katy

That is terrible. Not as terrible as being poor, but still...

Obviously your aesthetic sensibilities are far more important than the rights of other people to live where they please in the manner they choose.

That is terrible. Not as terrible as being poor, but still...

Obviously your aesthetic sensibilities are far more important than the rights of other people to live where they please in the manner they choose.

I don't think think not wanting to see trashy neighborhoods means that you want to tell people they can't live where they want to. I chose where I live purposely to avoid being near apartment complexes, freeways with billboards, car dealerships, convenience stores, etc... I don't like to see ugly parts of Houston when I'm driving home everyday. That doesn't mean that I think I should be able to stop someone from building apartments on their land or that I think I should be able to tell people that they can't live in my neighborhood. Pointing out that low income apartments are coming to Katy doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like poor people. It can help people make informed decisions on what neighborhood to live in.

I don't think think not wanting to see trashy neighborhoods means that you want to tell people they can't live where they want to. I chose where I live purposely to avoid being near apartment complexes, freeways with billboards, car dealerships, convenience stores, etc... I don't like to see ugly parts of Houston when I'm driving home everyday. That doesn't mean that I think I should be able to stop someone from building apartments on their land or that I think I should be able to tell people that they can't live in my neighborhood. Pointing out that low income apartments are coming to Katy doesn't necessarily mean that you don't like poor people. It can help people make informed decisions on what neighborhood to live in.

From the article:

“Many of them aren’t even American citizens,” Elder added.

Elder's the Katy mayor, btw.

I think it's pretty clear his reason for opposing the complex, and I'm pretty sure you and I can agree that it's not because it'll ruin the pristine prarie landscape. That said, at least he's honest with his bigotry. I always prefer an honest bigot to a closeted bigot. Most (though undoubtably not all) of those other concerns are just word dressing to disguise the disgusting nature of dishonest bigotry. The real reason people oppose this apartment is because it's for poor people, and the likelihood is greater that a poor person won't be white, and there's a possibility that non-white people won't "even [be] American citizens".

Low income apartments? OMG! That's going to ruin the beautiful landscape of Katy! The beigeness of the new strip centers and box stores sprouting up along the feeder roads, the cookie cutter subdivisions, the sloppy homemade signs on the roadsides, all ruined! :lol:

I love the replies to threads like these. You should take the time using HAR.com's map search to see the median income of all the new homes being built around there and you'll see why low income apartments aren't welcome. I'd also invite you to show this forum where low income apartments in a middle (to upper middle class) suburban neighborhood in this metro HAVE actually worked.

The real reason people oppose this apartment is because it's for poor people, and the likelihood is greater that a poor person won't be white, and there's a possibility that non-white people won't "even [be] American citizens".

This is what it ALWAYS reverts to. The funniest part about your statement is the ignorance you yourself show by just assuming that Katy is "Aryan exclusive", and that the "coloreds" still aren't welcome.

ULTIMATELY, it has to do with money, and not race or ethnicity.

Then the mayor shouldn't be complaining about "many aren't even legal" when referring to residents of a housing complex that doesn't even exist yet.

Elder said the housing complex could end up becoming a “slum area” because of poor maintenance and “transient” residents.

Where does he say "illegal" in the provided statements? I too agree with your inferrance, but who knows what the writer left out that would add context to a seemingly out of context statement like:

No matter his choice of words, it comes down to money. Apartments = turnover. Low Rent Apartments = higher turnover. Turnover = No pride in ownership. No pride in ownership = Little to no care for the community. Little to no care for the community = Decrease in property values.

Sharpstown, Gulfton, Greenspoint, Cypress Station, Hollister Crossing, Desoto, Gulfbank, Westwood, Clubcreek, Forum Park, ALL of Fondren, and the list goes on. How many failed examples of low rent apartment living must be provided before some of you in this forum can finally see the concern of politicians who represent those in neighborhood with a majority of 200K+ homes?

Then the mayor shouldn't be complaining about "many aren't even legal" when referring to residents of a housing complex that doesn't even exist yet.

Maybe it's the all the Canadian and European immigrants he finds so loathesome. Maybe I was wrong to assume he was speaking of the majority of non-American people who live in low-income housing. Maybe it isn't about color...

The funniest part about your statement is the ignorance you yourself show by just assuming that Katy is "Aryan exclusive", and that the "coloreds" still aren't welcome.

I didn't say that, but I'm sure the mayor thinks that. Perhaps it's you who shows his ignorance by assuming the mayor's innocence with such obviously racially-charged words.

I didn't say that, but I'm sure the mayor thinks that. Perhaps it's you who shows his ignorance by assuming the mayor's innocence with such obviously racially-charged words.

Racially charged words? I bet you must scream and writhe in agony every time you rip a band-aide off.

Racially charged words? I bet you must scream and writhe in agony every time you rip a band-aide off.

How do you figure that? Band-aids have nothing to do with overt racism. I question your ability to draw rational conclusions.

Edit: No matter his choice of words, it comes down to money. Apartments = turnover. Low Rent Apartments = higher turnover. Turnover = No pride in ownership. No pride in ownership = Little to no care for the community. Little to no care for the community = Decrease in property values = Band-Aid ripping = Band-Aid screaming...

If Katy residents didn't want the wide open plains to be developed by someone else, they should have bought that land and put what they want on it.

If life were so simple, right? I'm sure the complaint would then be that the residents of Katy, and all other places for that matter, are hogging up all the land in a monopoly.

How do you figure that? Band-aids have nothing to do with overt racism. I question your ability to draw rational conclusions.

Overt racism? Where does he make any reference to any race? Or are you just insinuating that since he's referencing poor people and illegals, then he must be a racist. Perhaps because this is the conclusion you drew when you read his statement?

Overt racism? Where does he make any reference to any race? Or are you just insinuating that since he's referencing poor people and illegals, then he must be a racist. Perhaps because this is the conclusion you drew when you read his statement?

Am I going to have to break out some statistics showing that most poor immigrants are Hispanic in our fair city, or can you just take me on my word with this one?

Am I going to have to break out some statistics showing that most poor immigrants are Hispanic in our fair city, or can you just take me on my word with this one?

Ahhh, so because you know the statistical make up of the majority of the poor in Houston, you now have the ability to interpret the mindset and context of all that refer to said poor? If this were not Katy, or Tomball, or Conroe, I would have bowed out long ago - but considering the number of poor WHITE people in the rural areas adjacent to Katy and other predominantly white suburban areas, I simply can not.

I love the replies to threads like these. You should take the time using HAR.com's map search to see the median income of all the new homes being built around there and you'll see why low income apartments aren't welcome.

A word to the wise: Don't build an expensive house a stone's throw from the mall if you care about property values. If Estates at Grand Harbor want to play the boohoo my property values game they shouldn't have built their houses barely outside the Katy Mills ring road. What's on mall ring roads? Apartment complexes and fast food restaurants.

A word to the wise: Don't build an expensive house a stone's throw from the mall if you care about property values. If Estates at Grand Harbor want to play the boohoo my property values game they shouldn't have built their houses barely outside the Katy Mills ring road. What's on mall ring roads? Apartment complexes and fast food restaurants.

So now you're going to jump on the assumption bus too that all apartments built around malls are low-rent and that fast food restaurants are equated to bringing down a commercial areas property values as well? If so, then why are fast food restaurants always the first to be desired, requested, and then eventually built in almost EVERY new sub division, no matter the average home cost - especially in this city where people of all wealth levels live practically in the cars they commute in, and depend on drive-thru services for the majority their needs to be quickly met.

So now you're going to jump on the assumption bus too that all apartments built around malls are low-rent and that fast food restaurants are equated to bringing down a commercial areas property values as well? If so, then why are fast food restaurants always the first to be desired, requested, and then eventually built in almost EVERY new sub division, no matter the average home cost - especially in this city where people of all wealth levels live practically in the cars they commute in, and depend on drive-thru services for the majority their needs to be quickly met.

Do the flies flock to the honey on their own or does the honey have to request that the flies swoop down on it?

From the article:

Elder's the Katy mayor, btw.

I think it's pretty clear his reason for opposing the complex, and I'm pretty sure you and I can agree that it's not because it'll ruin the pristine prarie landscape. That said, at least he's honest with his bigotry. I always prefer an honest bigot to a closeted bigot. Most (though undoubtably not all) of those other concerns are just word dressing to disguise the disgusting nature of dishonest bigotry. The real reason people oppose this apartment is because it's for poor people, and the likelihood is greater that a poor person won't be white, and there's a possibility that non-white people won't "even [be] American citizens".

Your post that I was responding to seemed to be accusing another poster on this site of wanting to tell people where they can live. I was pointing out that he didn't say that.

Elder is another story.

Ahhh, so because you know the statistical make up of the majority of the poor in Houston, you now have the ability to interpret the mindset and context of all that refer to said poor? If this were not Katy, or Tomball, or Conroe, I would have bowed out long ago - but considering the number of poor WHITE people in the rural areas adjacent to Katy and other predominantly white suburban areas, I simply can not.

I am then to assume that those po' white folks are not Americans?

I don't know why you're having a problem recognizing the racism in Elder's statement. Also, I don't take his view to be the view of all Katydids - just the 51% or more who voted him into office.

Your post that I was responding to seemed to be accusing another poster on this site of wanting to tell people where they can live. I was pointing out that he didn't say that.

Elder is another story.

Understood. And to clarify, I was telling him that his sensibilities don't outweigh the rights of other people.

Do the flies flock to the honey on their own or does the honey have to request that the flies swoop down on it?

I don't see many [flies] around Willowbrook, Baybrook, Deerbrook, Memorial City, or First Colony mall...

I am then to assume that those po' white folks are not Americans?

I don't know why you're having a problem recognizing the racism in Elder's statement. Also, I don't take his view to be the view of all Katydids - just the 51% or more who voted him into office.

Low-rent apartments are where most illegals are found, are they not? The problem I have in not being able to see the racism in his comment is the same as yours that seems to be stuck on it: perspective.

Low-rent apartments are where most illegals are found, are they not?

I guess, I don't know. They might be in low-rent houses for all I know. The only place I know for sure where you can easily find illegals is in a Home Depot parking lot.

That said, now I'd like to bring up an interesting point. You chastised me for making several fact based assumptions, and now you've done the same but worse. You see, you just assumed the non-Americans were illegal, and that's not based on fact but hearsay. You made an assumption based on another assumption.

Also, even if most illegals are found in low-rent apartments, that doesn't mean all low-rent apartments have illegals. Surely you recognize that. The po' white folks in the surrounding backwoods may step away from their moonshine stills to become the only residents of this new complex. It's retarded to continue to make assumptions about who's going to live there at this point, and doing so highlights the assumer's ingrained biases.

The problem I have in not being able to see the racism in his comment is the same as yours that seems to be stuck on it: perspective.

If you say so. I personally think the difference is that you base your conclusions on denial and equivocation. It's not so much a difference in perspective as it is you're closing your eyes, putting your fingers in your ears and loudly exclaiming, "La-la-la! I can't hear you! La-la-la!"

These days ol' Don runs unopposed, so we can't blame it on Katy majority anymore.

Low-rent apartments are where most illegals are found, are they not? The problem I have in not being able to see the racism in his comment is the same as yours that seems to be stuck on it: perspective.

Except the article says this is a public housing project, and to qualify for Section 8 and etc. you have to be a citizen or legal resident with path to citizenship.

Am I eligible? Eligibility for a housing voucher is determined by the PHA based on the total annual gross income and family size and is limited to US citizens and specified categories of non-citizens who have eligible immigration status.

http://www.hud.gov/offices/pih/programs/hcv/about/fact_sheet.cfm

These days ol' Don runs unopposed, so we can't blame it on Katy majority anymore.

In that case, I blame every resident of Katy who meets the criteria to run for office but didn't. That probably pushes the percentage of Katydids I blame up to 60 or 70%.

In the Senate they call those numbers a supermajority (unless the Democrats are in charge...).

Archived