Epicurean Express Market At 2018 Rusk St.

I went last weekend to check out the new wine bar (Cork Soakers) on St. Emanuel, across the street from Lucky's and saw that they are remodeling the space right next to the wine bar. The notice says that the site is going to be a "Epicurean Express Market". Has anyone heard about this market? Do you reckon is a new type of store from the Rice Epicurean people (one can only dream)?

Epicurean Express Market is not affiliated with Rice Epicurean. It is part of the Lucky's Pub and Cork Soakers dynasty. http://bitemehouston.com/?p=128

I also figured from the title of this thread that it was going to be somehow related to Rice Epicurean Market. I'm thinking that they need to change their name, if only to avoid the possibility of a future lawsuit (whether they think that they can win it or not).

• 1 month later...

:lol: Nothing sez 'cozy wine bar' quite like $2 beer, Half Price Humpdays and Soak-It Sundays.

Well, there goes my dream of a Rice Epicurean in the area. The Epicurean Express name is very deceiving though.

What do y'all think about the Phoenicia market opening in One Park Place?

Well, there goes my dream of a Rice Epicurean in the area. The Epicurean Express name is very deceiving though.

What do y'all think about the Phoenicia market opening in One Park Place?

If Phoenicia has parking for its customers, I'll shop there for specialty items. What Eado and the Near East End need most is a good, clean full-line supermarket...not a gourmet "foodie" boutique...not a grocery geared to a particular ethnic group...not an el-cheapo limited-selection warehouse store...but a place where the area's diverse population can find a variety of fresh produce, meats, seafood, bakery items, pantry staples, etc.

If Phoenicia has parking for its customers, I'll shop there for specialty items. What Eado and the Near East End need most is a good, clean full-line supermarket...not a gourmet "foodie" boutique...not a grocery geared to a particular ethnic group...not an el-cheapo limited-selection warehouse store...but a place where the area's diverse population can find a variety of fresh produce, meats, seafood, bakery items, pantry staples, etc.

So...Kroger, then.

I kinda said the same thing in the other thread. Kroger is lame, but I don't see myself going to Phoenicia. Is there a large Mediterranean/Middle Eastern population in or near downtown that this market is targeting? Like I said before, I'm all for a specialty foods store, but secondary to a regular full service supermarket. I'll have to see what Epicurean Express has to offer, but I'll probably feel the same way about it, except it's closer, and parking may be easier.

I see Phoenicia's move into downtown as a bid to sell mostly deli/preepared food to the downtown lunch

crowds (including catering) and to a lesser extent as a grocery for full time residents, who by and large will not be shopping for bulk lentils and couscous or fresh meat, but for prepared/packaged food, condiments and a few odds and ends. Food and groceries are not the same thing, and retailers know

this. Which is why the new Whole Foods behind my office is going to be proportionally heavier on deli/prepared foods, and less on meat

and produce than the W. Alabama store. They know that being surrounded by 5 large office buildings gives them a built-in market

for the high-margin items at lunch time, and as dinner take-away for people who don't cook. Same thing with Phoenicia

downtown.

I kinda said the same thing in the other thread. Kroger is lame, but I don't see myself going to Phoenicia. Is there a large Mediterranean/Middle Eastern population in or near downtown that this market is targeting? Like I said before, I'm all for a specialty foods store, but secondary to a regular full service supermarket. I'll have to see what Epicurean Express has to offer, but I'll probably feel the same way about it, except it's closer, and parking may be easier.

in regards to Mediterranean population near downtown, I think it is more of a reflection of the growing desire of people to eat this type of food. Just look at the number of Fadi's Med grills that have popped up all over the west side of town.

As an example of this trend, I submit first hand evidence: 10 years ago I used to be able to park on the street within 25' of Niko Niko's front door and get my food immediately, now (even after the expansion) finding parking is a big ordeal, as is waiting in line to order your food.

I'm sure part of this is due to not being in the area during the same time. 10 years ago, I only was around there for lunch, these days I only pass by them on the weekends. I'm also sure that part of it has to do with how the area has changed in the past 10 years.

Perhaps as Houston becomes more and more diverse, we will see different types of cuisine from different parts of this planet. As opposed to crap like steak country buffet or junk like that. Ugh.

unsure.gifAre you saying it's not diverse now? Because if I look within about 3 mile radius of where I live I can find many restaruants that serve pretty much anything you can think of from Ethiopian, Colombian, variety of Indian, variety of Thai, Argentine to Salvadorian food.

unsure.gifAre you saying it's not diverse now? Because if I look within about 3 mile radius of where I live I can find many restaruants that serve pretty much anything you can think of from Ethiopian, Colombian, variety of Indian, variety of Thai, Argentine to Salvadorian food.

No. All I'm saying is perhaps as Houston becomes more and more diverse, we will see different types of cuisine from different parts of this planet. As opposed to crap like steak country buffet or junk like that.

• 2 months later...

So...Kroger, then.

or HEB, or Fiesta.

My wife and I actually looked at the EaDo lofts but the lack of a nearby grocery store or any other infrastructure kept us from renting there. I'm hoping businesses start seeing the potential east of 59 and start building.

or HEB, or Fiesta.

My wife and I actually looked at the EaDo lofts but the lack of a nearby grocery store or any other infrastructure kept us from renting there. I'm hoping businesses start seeing the potential east of 59 and start building.

Why do you not consider the Kroger on Cullen to be a nearby grocery store? Looks like about 19 blocks from Herrin Lofts.

Hey, I agree that it is not the nicest grocery store, but it has all the basics, and if more people shopped there I have no doubt they'd be delighted to rehab it into a Signature store.

Why do you not consider the Kroger on Cullen to be a nearby grocery store? Looks like about 19 blocks from Herrin Lofts.

Hey, I agree that it is not the nicest grocery store, but it has all the basics, and if more people shopped there I have no doubt they'd be delighted to rehab it into a Signature store.

and Randalls on Louisiana, not as close, and certainly not around the block, but still less than a 5 minute drive.

• 9 months later...

I have, it's lame. Like a convenience store. They have a fair amount of wine, but I don't know how good it is. Otherwise nothing remarkable. Lots of bare shelves and a big empty deli counter, so it seems like there is some potential for it to improve.

We went in over the weekend to check it out. I think when the deli is fully-stocked, it will be a nice, small corner grocer. I agree that compared to our mega stores, it is more like a large convenience store. But compared to small urban grocers found in other urban areas, then it stacks up nicely. Hopefully the surrounding residents, namely those at the Lofts at the Ballpark, will give it enough business to make it.

Note combined topics.

Also, from Epicurean Express:

We want to invite everyone to come by this weekend for our Grand Opening! Come sample some great foods and drinks from our vendors, check out our inventory, and let us know what you would like us to carry as we fill out our shelves! If you want a sneak peak of the store our soft open ours are 2pm-8pm Wednesday and Thursday - regular hours will be 7am-9pm Mon-Sat, and Sun 10am-6pm. Help us spread the word to everyone in EADO and Downtown!

Tomorrow at 10:00am - Saturday at 9:00pm

2018 Rusk Street, Houston, TX 77003

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=219739411384136

• The title was changed to Epicurean Express Market At 2018 Rusk St.

Archived