Jus' Mac At 2617 Yale St.

Dan the Man

Hello All,

We understand some people will not totally agree with the concept and its viability but we're up for the challenge. Yes, you can do a lot with Mac and Cheese...as mentioned already. As much as I'd like to give out the full menu I'll wait till the opening date gets closer. For those that are curious though, we do have over 20 different varieties with more to come but not all will be rolled out at the same time and yes there are some gourmet versions like our "Park Avenue" (Hint-Truffle). Individuals who are watching their figures can opt for one of our salads with homemade dressings. Lets not forget about delicious desserts!

And no...this isnt your Kraft Mac and Cheese :)

You can follow our progress http://www.facebook.com/jusmac

I think you've got a great concept and the timing is perfect. Mac & Cheese is taken more seriously now than it was just a few years back.

I frequent some of the nicer restaurants in Houston every weekend. I'd say my wife and I spend about $150-$400 on one meal every weekend. I've noticed that Mac & Cheese is the "in" thing at the moment. I've made a point of trying it at every good restaurant I go to. One of the best is Smith & Wollensky's Truffled. A couple at the table next to us scoffed at Mac & Cheese as a side plate on a $300+ meal. My wife and I knew that they had just passed up one of the best dishes at the restaurant. The Mac & Cheese Squared at Yard House is not bad either. It goes very well with a beer on a cold day.

I'm sure I'll be trying your place about a month after opening. I hope you're planning to go a little on the higher end on this. I think you need to have the best Mac & Cheese in Houston to succeed.

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think you've got a great concept and the timing is perfect. Mac & Cheese is taken more seriously now than it was just a few years back.

I frequent some of the nicer restaurants in Houston every weekend. I'd say my wife and I spend about $150-$400 on one meal every weekend. I've noticed that Mac & Cheese is the "in" thing at the moment. I've made a point of trying it at every good restaurant I go to. One of the best is Smith & Wollensky's Truffled. A couple at the table next to us scoffed at Mac & Cheese as a side plate on a $300+ meal. My wife and I knew that they had just passed up one of the best dishes at the restaurant. The Mac & Cheese Squared at Yard House is not bad either. It goes very well with a beer on a cold day.

I'm sure I'll be trying your place about a month after opening. I hope you're planning to go a little on the higher end on this. I think you need to have the best Mac & Cheese in Houston to succeed.

Thank you for the confidence in the concept and we feel the timing is perfect as well. We have visited all the restaurants known for their mac and cheese in the Houston area and are confident that our mac and cheese will be the best in Houston hands down. All the homework has been done and we cant wait to roll out the menu which will have some higher end versions.

Looking forward to your opening - I just hope it isn't *too* foofoo or has something like (mandatory) valet parking...!

I spent $20 for two at a non-high end restaurant the other day if you need perspective...lol :rolleyes:

Looking forward to your opening - I just hope it isn't *too* foofoo or has something like (mandatory) valet parking...!

I spent $20 for two at a non-high end restaurant the other day if you need perspective...lol :rolleyes:

I agree.

Hopefully, the menu price range will run the gamut.

The truffle one is intriguing though.

Man, I need to stay off this thread, I'm getting hungry again.

Concept questions aside, if it's in my neighborhood i'll visit. i don't drink coffee but go to Antidote. i support small businesses and i love to eat so places like Jus Mac are right up my alley.

I think one thing that drives successful restaurants in the Heights is being open to feedback and always having a dialogue with your customer base. Renowned Chef Robert Gadsby didn't do that and, in this girl's opinion, it was part of the downfall of Bedford. After all, they can't blame the location.

From their FB page to comments in this thread, Jus Mac seems like they really do want to engage their community. This can only serve them well. Happy customers will find a reason to eat mac'n'cheese once a week if they feel they are doing it somewhere where concerns have been listened to.

Also (and this goes to what CPA said), an owner who listens is probably also willing to evolve. I am not saying that Jus Mac should or wil need to change their concept, but being open to customer feedback may give them some ideas down the road that they haven't even thought of yet. You just never know.

Despite the statistics, most restaurants in this neighborhood that offer good food and good service are going to do well. I would say we have more successes than failures. Just ask Shade and Glasswall. And if Happy All Cafe can stay open, anything can!

No foofoo...we are youngsters here so expect a trendy and hip atmosphere. No valet either...we have the vacant lot next door so you can park your own car, truck, van, light SUV, moped or whatever gets you to us.

I agree.

Hopefully, the menu price range will run the gamut.

The truffle one is intriguing though.

Man, I need to stay off this thread, I'm getting hungry again.

The menu price range will run the gamut. If you want to eat high end mac and cheese you can but if you dont...you have many other choices.

Concept questions aside, if it's in my neighborhood i'll visit. i don't drink coffee but go to Antidote. i support small businesses and i love to eat so places like Jus Mac are right up my alley.

I think one thing that drives successful restaurants in the Heights is being open to feedback and always having a dialogue with your customer base. Renowned Chef Robert Gadsby didn't do that and, in this girl's opinion, it was part of the downfall of Bedford. After all, they can't blame the location.

From their FB page to comments in this thread, Jus Mac seems like they really do want to engage their community. This can only serve them well. Happy customers will find a reason to eat mac'n'cheese once a week if they feel they are doing it somewhere where concerns have been listened to.

Also (and this goes to what CPA said), an owner who listens is probably also willing to evolve. I am not saying that Jus Mac should or wil need to change their concept, but being open to customer feedback may give them some ideas down the road that they haven't even thought of yet. You just never know.

Despite the statistics, most restaurants in this neighborhood that offer good food and good service are going to do well. I would say we have more successes than failures. Just ask Shade and Glasswall. And if Happy All Cafe can stay open, anything can!

And this is why we are actively engaging through Facebook and any other forum where we are discussed. The whole point is to touch base with what people are wanting while still upholding the integrity of the concept. Its not too often you see restaurants or any business for that matter posting pics and documenting the entire process. We're just two regular people who enjoy great food and great company. No feedback is bad feedback in our minds...its just one step closer to giving what you want.

As long as Jus Mac is in business we will always be right here for questions, concerns and ideas. To be close minded would only lead to our demise.

Indeed.. I'll give it a try before I dismiss the place. There are some great places in the Heights and I support many local eateries/coffee shops/stores etc..

McCain's I agree couldn't figure out what they wanted to be. I looked at getting some fish and steak there once and ended up going to Kroger instead since it was too expensive. McCains had coffee and nick-nacks.. Just didn't get it.

If Onion Creek can survive while making people wait for an hour for a burger or pizza, what can't? :) I'd hate to set the bar that low tho.

Anyway.. I always wish new small businesses in the area the best of luck.. so.. Best of luck!

Edit: Coffee clouds the mind.. :o

There are few things on earth better than a good mac 'n' cheese. The Smith and Wollensky version is the bomb. I've discovered it's also good with crabmeat, but whatever additional ingredients there are, it's all about the cheese. Gruyere--absolutely!

This place is dangerously close to my house. I'm going to be so fat.

Just be careful when you start adding meat. You don't want to start reminding people of Hamburger Helper. ;)

Thanks for the concern! Thats funny but no hamburger helper here. I never enjoyed hamburger helper as a kid nor do I as an adult.

Its oh so tempting to just blurb out the menu. I wont though...:)

Thanks for the concern! Thats funny but no hamburger helper here. I never enjoyed hamburger helper as a kid nor do I as an adult.

Its oh so tempting to just blurb out the menu. I wont though...:)

Thank goodness! My family all love mac & cheese and hate hamburger helper. Glad it isn't just me.

Firstly, I have to say I'm super excited about the concept. Mac+cheese is one of my favorite combinations of foods.. I've never met one that I didn't like and the varieties that come out of my kitchen are endless. A few months ago I even bought a macncheese cookbook.

My only concern is method of service. Please don't do another lola's/dragonbowl counter service thing. If I have to stand in line and order at a cash register I sure as hell don't want to spend $10-15 a plate. Every time I go to Lola's I can never remember to grab cutlery.

Regardless.. You have my support! Bring on the cheese and whatever you choose to serve underneath it will be good.. pasta.. veges.. shoes.. lamps.. Just cover it in quality cheese and I'll try it

So...there are varieties of cheese, what about pasta? Macaroni noodles just don't get me pumped about eating.

Mac and cheeseburger? Buffalo mac? I might be the only one who wants those but they sound awesome right now.

You'll get pumped over what we will be serving :) I was pumped eating it over the weekend.

Firstly, I have to say I'm super excited about the concept. Mac+cheese is one of my favorite combinations of foods.. I've never met one that I didn't like and the varieties that come out of my kitchen are endless. A few months ago I even bought a macncheese cookbook.

My only concern is method of service. Please don't do another lola's/dragonbowl counter service thing. If I have to stand in line and order at a cash register I sure as hell don't want to spend $10-15 a plate. Every time I go to Lola's I can never remember to grab cutlery.

Regardless.. You have my support! Bring on the cheese and whatever you choose to serve underneath it will be good.. pasta.. veges.. shoes.. lamps.. Just cover it in quality cheese and I'll try it

Shoes and lamps??? Dang...let me dig out some old things I've been trying to get rid of...lol...j/k.

You are truly a die hard mac and cheese lover. We hope to see you often!

So...there are varieties of cheese, what about pasta? Macaroni noodles just don't get me pumped about eating.

Mac and cheeseburger? Buffalo mac? I might be the only one who wants those but they sound awesome right now.

i am literally DROOLING thinking of how i can put some chicken, frank's red hot an blue cheese together to create this dish. yummy, yummy, yummy! i love franks. LOVE IT.

• 5 months later...

Last I saw (via FB) they were looking for workers so hopefully not too far off:

Jus' Mac is looking for hard workers. If you know anyone who would be interested please have them forward resume/information to: employment@jusmac.com

Archived