Jus' Mac At 2617 Yale St.

Dan the Man

I am anything but closed minded when it comes to food. However, my comment was not a culinary one but a business one. I have evaluated hundreds of projects in over 30 years of experience and I have a good feel for what will work in the long run and what will not. It may be a short-term sensation but it will NOT go the distance if it does not expand the menu and then - it will cease to be "Jus Mac". My point will be proven either way.

A much better concept would have been "Mac n More".

We can appreciate your input but isnt this what people thought about places that served:

Only Pizza (Name any of them)

Only Burritos (Freebirds, Mission Burrito, Bullritos)

Only Hamburgers (5 Guys Burgers)

Only Doughnuts (Shipleys)

The list goes on and on but you get the point. We look to revisit with you years down the road.

Have you ever purchased bottled water? Crazy concept considering!!!

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So they are named Jus Mac but they will spend money on advertising to make the point that they are NOT Jus Mac? That is counter-intuitive at best.

I predicted the demise of McCain's Market after my first visit there.

Whats great is the more you talk about us the better. And we have yet spent a dime on advertising. The more you are in the dark in terms of our concept and business sense the more we will be talked about and the more word will spread. Keep up the great debating folks...we love it!

P.S.

McCains had no identity...we knew its outcome as well without ever stepping in.

So they are named Jus Mac but they will spend money on advertising to make the point that they are NOT Jus Mac? That is counter-intuitive at best.

I predicted the demise of McCain's Market after my first visit there.

I know I'll get hammered on this one but... I don't see "Noodle Houses" or "Pizza Joints" having this issue. What about Souper Salad? Seems to me it's pretty successful and sustainable. I don't see them spending money on advertising to show the fact that they have sandwiches as well to bring in business.

I'm also a bit confused how your prediction of the downfall of McCain's Market supports your point that Jus' Mac is a dumb idea? Your statement also implies that you would have to be a patron of the establishment in subject to predict its downfall, which would then lead me to believe you would discover that it isn't just Mac n Cheese. Quite the pickle we are in here.

Where it wouldn't be my first choice in business, I wouldn't venture to predict its downfall just off the name alone.

to all the people saying "if my kids were still young" i don't think that's the intent. Jus Mac can correct me, but when you have a Mac and Cheese restaurant that has a lot of specialty items, its geared towards adults. kids want simple Kraft, nothing mixed in. I'm sure you can get there out, but the real drive to go here would be all the meats and veggies and special cheeses, that adults would be more interested in.

just a thought. and some more free advertising.

I know I'll get hammered on this one but... I don't see "Noodle Houses" or "Pizza Joints" having this issue. What about Souper Salad? Seems to me it's pretty successful and sustainable. I don't see them spending money on advertising to show the fact that they have sandwiches as well to bring in business.

I'm also a bit confused how your prediction of the downfall of McCain's Market supports your point that Jus' Mac is a dumb idea? Your statement also implies that you would have to be a patron of the establishment in subject to predict its downfall, which would then lead me to believe you would discover that it isn't just Mac n Cheese. Quite the pickle we are in here.

Where it wouldn't be my first choice in business, I wouldn't venture to predict its downfall just off the name alone.

Its a great debate! Brand awareness is a vital part of any successful business and I think we're doing a bang up job in that category so far without even trying to at this point. WE love this forum!

to all the people saying "if my kids were still young" i don't think that's the intent. Jus Mac can correct me, but when you have a Mac and Cheese restaurant that has a lot of specialty items, its geared towards adults. kids want simple Kraft, nothing mixed in. I'm sure you can get there out, but the real drive to go here would be all the meats and veggies and special cheeses, that adults would be more interested in.

just a thought. and some more free advertising.

BINGO!!! We are not out to be Chuck e Cheeses.

We can appreciate your input but isnt this what people thought about places that served:

Only Pizza (Name any of them)

Only Burritos (Freebirds, Mission Burrito, Bullritos)

Only Hamburgers (5 Guys Burgers)

Only Doughnuts (Shipleys)

The list goes on and on but you get the point. We look to revisit with you years down the road.

Have you ever purchased bottled water? Crazy concept considering!!!

Every new business is convinced they have a winner, they are the next big thing, they can't fail. More than 80% are wrong.

That study was in very narrow geographical area. Here is an article in a restaurant trade website: http://www.foodreference.com/html/artbankruptcy.html

Note that the article cited by the cpa refuted his own claim.

Recent studies show that 63 percent of business failure are the result of financial incompetence,, 16 percent lack of managerial ability, and only 10 percent skill. The rest is attributed to other factors.

The overwhelming majority of restaurant failures result not from "too narrow a niche", but from too little money, followed by lousy management. "Too narrow a niche" would be included in that 11% of factors that are too small a percentage to merit mention in the article.

Yeah, I was going to go after that, but I was waiting to hear back from the author of the article on his source for the 80% figure.

If they respond as negatively and defensively to diners who make comments about their food or service - they will not make it a year. Otherwise, I give them 30 months. No more comments from me. We will see.

The overwhelming majority of restaurant failures result not from "too narrow a niche", but from too little money, followed by lousy management. "Too narrow a niche" would be included in that 11% of factors that are too small a percentage to merit mention in the article.

You my friend are exactly right as to why most restaurants do fail.

Does anyone have the stats on what the failure rate is for any business in general? I'm sure those statistics arent too favoring either.

Can you imagine where we would all be if we let stats/people dictate the decisions we make in our lives? I know for a fact its not a 80% failure rate for the restaurant business but lets entertain that for a second and give praise to those 20% that did succeed. Houston would be soooooo boring and bland without all these fantastic restaurants.

We will still welcome Heights CPA with open arms. And if he does walk thru our doors then we will chalk that one as a small win for us.

Heights CPA:

I hope you werent referring to us a being defensive or negative because we werent. We addressed your concerns and offered our own opinions.

I am anything but closed minded when it comes to food. However, my comment was not a culinary one but a business one. I have evaluated hundreds of projects in over 30 years of experience and I have a good feel for what will work in the long run and what will not. It may be a short-term sensation but it will NOT go the distance if it does not expand the menu and then - it will cease to be "Jus Mac". My point will be proven either way.

A much better concept would have been "Mac n More".

See, here's the problem. You said their business is doomed unless they expand the menu. You have not seen the menu, and since they have already stated that their menu is more expansive than just mac and cheese I guess that means you're saying that their business is not doomed. You said their concept was wrong. You don't know anything about their concept, only their name.

But rather than retreat from your doomed prediction after learning that they have more on their menu than mac and cheese, you pressed on, implying that they might be suffering some delusions and that 80% of restaurants fail. They met your standard! Why didn't you retract your doom prediction? Why did you press on?

House of Pies sells more diner food than they sell pies.

If they respond as negatively and defensively to diners who make comments about their food or service - they will not make it a year. Otherwise, I give them 30 months. No more comments from me. We will see.

Jus Mac said nothing disrespectful to you in this thread.

That study was in very narrow geographical area. Here is an article in a restaurant trade website: http://www.foodrefer...bankruptcy.html

Your source has checked in.

Hello Kyle,

That is an old article by H. Berberoglu, and the figure is not correct – it is a number that was and still is frequently used in the food industry and by the media.

Restaurant failure rates are mentioned in several articles, by myself and others, on FoodReference.com and several years ago I notified the authors that the articles needed to be corrected. The article you inquired about was obviously missed.

A more recent article with statistics and source:

http://www.foodrefer...rantprices.html (8th paragraph)

According to a study by Ohio State University, 26% of new restaurants will fail within the first year. Nineteen percent will fail within the second year and 14% will go belly up by their third year. Thus, 59% of new restaurants will be out of business within three years.

I have added a note to the article about Bankruptcy noting that the 80% figure is not correct.

http://www.foodrefer...bankruptcy.html

Thank you for using FoodReference.com

Sincerely,

Chef James

Winona, Minnesota

I lived on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for over a year after I moved out of my parents house when I was a teenager. Although I can appreciate the concept, I don't think I could actually patronize such a place. Perhaps if my kids were still little but then again they enjoyed the cheap stuff just fine.

Pretty much what I thought when I saw this. In high school, the lunch ladies burned the top of the Mac/Cheese and served pears for dessert...Repeatedly. As a teenage boy I was...well, underwhelmed.

Ingredients can make a difference. I have since learned that poached bosc pears in cointreau are fabulous. I am still hopeful about the mac/cheese.

I hope there's like a gourmet mac with gruyere or something...

Yes! Gruyere..with bacon and wilted greens.

That would be cool.

I enjoy throwing in Beef tips and bell peppers in mine.

MMM...

{Hungry now}

Your source has checked in.

Thank you...not many people actually know the failure rate but now you've given hope to everyone that wants to open one....j/k. We're foodies so the more restaurants out there the better.

Pretty much what I thought when I saw this. In high school, the lunch ladies burned the top of the Mac/Cheese and served pears for dessert...Repeatedly. As a teenage boy I was...well, underwhelmed.

Ingredients can make a difference. I have since learned that poached bosc pears in cointreau are fabulous. I am still hopeful about the mac/cheese.

Yes! Gruyere..with bacon and wilted greens.

MMM...

{Hungry now}

Please visit us when we open...we'd like to change your mind about mac and cheese. The ingredients go a loooooooooooooooong way.

Speaking of which, any idea about when you'll open?

Projected opening is late June early July given we do not run into any major obstacles with the City. Facebook us and if you are a facebook friend send a message...we would love to show appreciation to our supporters.

Can you imagine where we would all be if we let stats/people dictate the decisions we make in our lives?

Yes, we would all lead the lives of a CPA.

Actually, you can see the evidence of CPA influenced life all around you. As more businesses are run by accountants, the excitement of innovation is drained away and discouraged (too narrow a niche. Dumb idea.) in favor of the balance sheet. What you are left with is modern day America, with bland automobile styling and interchangeable parts, the same housing designs, regardless what area of the country you visit, big box stores with the same inventory in all 50 states, and marketing campaigns that celebrate sameness while claiming it to be unique. Combine the number-centric singlemindedness of a CPA with the liability worried lawyer and you have the muted earth toned blandness that is modern America. It has so invaded the psyche of everyday citizens that ultra-restrictive HOAs and city ordinances that limit homeowners' creativeness are applauded and revered.

I am sorry that this thread has been derailed by the accountant's dismissiveness of your restaurant idea without knowing a thing about it. As a former owner of a restaurant, I recognize the daunting challenges you face. I wish you luck, and promise to visit once you are open. And, I'll bring friends.

Wrong & Wrong. Restaurant failures are caused by 2 things: Location & market timing. Beyond that, the arguments are unsubstantiated. I have been a restauranteur in multiple markets. The CPA, is probably not a CPA at all, but plays one on T.V.. I have taken the best & the worst food items, built the location around them, added quality management & staff training, and always insuring the bang is worth the buck. It's not a secret.... it is an art!

I am sorry that this thread has been derailed by the accountant's dismissiveness of your restaurant idea without knowing a thing about it. As a former owner of a restaurant, I recognize the daunting challenges you face. I wish you luck, and promise to visit once you are open. And, I'll bring friends.

Since we're already derailed, I would like to take this moment to state that I miss Firehouse Phillies.

Archived