Jus' Mac At 2617 Yale St.

Dan the Man

Last week I noticed someone was doing some work on the old Yale Street Coffee House building (Yale @ ~25th?). Yesterday, I noticed a sign announcing a new restaurant. I think it said something about Macaroni & Cheese, but I was driving too fast to read it. Sounds like it could be an interesting concept, maybe like those restaurants where you can order a custom omlette? Anyone have any info?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last week I noticed someone was doing some work on the old Yale Street Coffee House building (Yale @ ~25th?). Yesterday, I noticed a sign announcing a new restaurant. I think it said something about Macaroni & Cheese, but I was driving too fast to read it. Sounds like it could be an interesting concept, maybe like those restaurants where you can order a custom omlette? Anyone have any info?

I saw that as well...

I also saw that there is a new coffeeshop/art gallery going in on 19th next to the Friends for Life shop.

I saw that as well...

I also saw that there is a new coffeeshop/art gallery going in on 19th next to the Friends for Life shop.

not to hijack but Love Street Coffee Shop- some details from their press release (C&P from The Heights Life)

The Grand Opening is expected to be late summer of this year. 242 West 19th St.

Houston native Katy Whelan has been dreaming of opening her own coffeeshop for the past 15 years. She will be incorporating sustainable and green practices in the business, and will focus on showcasing music and art by Houston artists.

The name was inspired by Love Street Light Circus and Feel Good Machine, a Houston club open in the late 1960's that had psychedelic music with bands like the 13th Floor Elevators and The Moving Sidewalks.

not to hijack but Love Street Coffee Shop- some details from their press release (C&P from The Heights Life)

The Grand Opening is expected to be late summer of this year. 242 West 19th St.

Houston native Katy Whelan has been dreaming of opening her own coffeeshop for the past 15 years. She will be incorporating sustainable and green practices in the business, and will focus on showcasing music and art by Houston artists.

The name was inspired by Love Street Light Circus and Feel Good Machine, a Houston club open in the late 1960's that had psychedelic music with bands like the 13th Floor Elevators and The Moving Sidewalks.

cant wait to try Love Street......I went there when it was off market square in the 60's....i have a poster from there

Too narrow a niche. Dumb idea.

agree to a point. my kids will eat m'n'c daily but i am still trying to lose to the pregnancy weight so where does that leave me? i can see it being fun for families, so there they might have some success with the concept BUT i imagine it being hard to get a regular customer, so there fail.

it also makes me laugh b/c there are people in this world, like my husband, who won't eat there on principle if they serve more than just mac'n'cheese b/c the name says it's just mac'n'cheese.

Not really. Mac n cheese can have all kinds of meats, seafood and vegetables. Has mega possibilities of pastas. Fettuccine alfredo is a sort of mac and cheese. I, for one, can't wait.

Hello All,

We understand some people will not totally agree with the concept and its viability but we're up for the challenge. Yes, you can do a lot with Mac and Cheese...as mentioned already. As much as I'd like to give out the full menu I'll wait till the opening date gets closer. For those that are curious though, we do have over 20 different varieties with more to come but not all will be rolled out at the same time and yes there are some gourmet versions like our "Park Avenue" (Hint-Truffle). Individuals who are watching their figures can opt for one of our salads with homemade dressings. Lets not forget about delicious desserts!

And no...this isnt your Kraft Mac and Cheese :)

You can follow our progress http://www.facebook.com/jusmac

I hope there's like a gourmet mac with gruyere or something...

We had mac and cheese (with Guyere) while visiting Guyere in Switz.... It was A-M-A-ZING! Had potatoes mixed in with it and I can see myself gaining lots of weight if they do offer it.

I lived on Kraft Macaroni and Cheese for over a year after I moved out of my parents house when I was a teenager. Although I can appreciate the concept, I don't think I could actually patronize such a place. Perhaps if my kids were still little but then again they enjoyed the cheap stuff just fine. 

I've been instructed to post this per the wife.

"Open your mind, my dear “Dumb Idea” friend. Mac n’ cheese is anything but narrow. Have you ever thought of what’s in most of Italian food dishes? Pasta, cheese, sauce…. Hmmmm… sounds a bit like the ingredients to your Plain Jane mac n’ cheese. I dare you to put on your creativity cap for a sec, and think about all the wonderful variations there could be to this fine traditional dish. Perhaps some pancetta could spice up your oversized macaroni noodles, or a different type of cheese beyond the powder and/or Velveeta (try Gouda, Grueyere, or a nice Alfredo sauce), or they might even be able to add …gasp?!... VEGETABLES?!!!

I invite you to give it a whirl. You may be surprised what others can do to open your closed minded taste buds. I’d truly hate to see you miss out…."

Mrs. D

"Open your mind, my dear “Dumb Idea” friend. Mac n’ cheese is anything but narrow. Have you ever thought of what’s in most of Italian food dishes? Pasta, cheese, sauce…. Hmmmm… sounds a bit like the ingredients to your Plain Jane mac n’ cheese. I dare you to put on your creativity cap for a sec, and think about all the wonderful variations there could be to this fine traditional dish. Perhaps some pancetta could spice up your oversized macaroni noodles, or a different type of cheese beyond the powder and/or Velveeta (try Gouda, Grueyere, or a nice Alfredo sauce), or they might even be able to add …gasp?!... VEGETABLES?!!!

I invite you to give it a whirl. You may be surprised what others can do to open your closed minded taste buds. I’d truly hate to see you miss out…."

Mrs. D

Wow...you're wife's vision is in line with our own. The sky is the limit here and we intend to take it over the top. Yup...Vegetables is on that list :)

Tell Mrs. D to facebook us so we can make sure to keep a very close eye out for her when she walks through our doors and be sure to be alongside her when she does. All we ask is to allow us the opportunity to take you to places with mac and cheese you didn't think were possible.

i actually just walked by a place like this in nyc a few weeks back, we were going to go but they were closed. out of curiosity i checked out the menu:

s'mac nyc

looks good to me. not sure if Just Mac will be similar, but it seems like a place i would check out and possibly frequent every once and a while if its good.

i actually just walked by a place like this in nyc a few weeks back, we were going to go but they were closed. out of curiosity i checked out the menu:

s'mac nyc

looks good to me. not sure if Just Mac will be similar, but it seems like a place i would check out and possibly frequent every once and a while if its good.

THIS sounds good:

CAJUN

Nosh: $7.25

Major Munch: $10.75

Mongo: $19.00

Partay!: $47.00 If you are looking for some kick, here it is. Cheddar & Pepper Jack cheeses, andouille sausage, green pepper, onions, celery, garlic and, of course, some genuine Cajun seasoning.

I like they have the cheeseburger version, I do that from time to time.

Now I'm getting hungry.

Mrs. D

I am anything but closed minded when it comes to food. However, my comment was not a culinary one but a business one. I have evaluated hundreds of projects in over 30 years of experience and I have a good feel for what will work in the long run and what will not. It may be a short-term sensation but it will NOT go the distance if it does not expand the menu and then - it will cease to be "Jus Mac". My point will be proven either way.

A much better concept would have been "Mac n More".

I am anything but closed minded when it comes to food. However, my comment was not a culinary one but a business one. I have evaluated hundreds of projects in over 30 years of experience and I have a good feel for what will work in the long run and what will not. It may be a short-term sensation but it will NOT go the distance if it does not expand the menu and then - it will cease to be "Jus Mac". My point will be proven either way.

A much better concept would have been "Mac n More".

Have you read the thread? Its Jus Mac in name only. They will have salads, etc.

Have you read the thread? Its Jus Mac in name only. They will have salads, etc.

So they are named Jus Mac but they will spend money on advertising to make the point that they are NOT Jus Mac? That is counter-intuitive at best.

I predicted the demise of McCain's Market after my first visit there.

Archived