Lamar High School History

devonhart

^right before there's a really quick pass of a street sign - I can read University but not the cross street (Kirby, maybe?). Squinting, I think the street signs may actually have "The Village" inscribed on the top..

There's an edit point, though, so no telling if we're still on the same street.

didn't know lamar was by a dock.

edit: will add to the post ww2 pics when i can get back to a scanner. evidently in the old days the schools gave post cards to send back home (yes all the silver pics) so that the parents would pay for the bonds to rebuild the school. scanned the original pic in and my aunt had flashbacks from 60 yrs ago. i showed the same pic to ny nephew and he immediately questioned why there were so many chilren in the cafeteria.

Edited by musicman

Wow!! What a trip to the past... my past. I graduated from Lamar in 1953. I think I recognize some of the kids. I will have to check my yearbook and see if I can find them in the jr/soph sections. I still see and correspond with a lot of old Lamar classmates. I will send this video on and see if they know anyone in it.

That was the Village theater box office. I went to both the Village and Alabama many times in my youth and on into my adult years.

I remember the Yacht Restaurant. It was on the west side of S. Main. I don't remember if it was north or south of Gaido's, which was across S. Main from Playland Park (9200 S Main). It was most likely toward the south. I think it was gone by the late 50's.

Thanks for the video. It brought back a lot of memories of the fashions and cars of that era.

Wow!! What a trip to the past... my past. It brought back a lot of memories of the fashions and cars of that era.

I thought it was a great find when I came across it on youtube. I was born in 54, so our home movies of me as a toddler looked

a lot like these, cars and clothes, and hairstyles.

edit: will add to the post ww2 pics when i can get back to a scanner. evidently in the old days the schools gave post cards to send back home (yes all the silver pics) so that the parents would pay for the bonds to rebuild the school. scanned the original pic in and my aunt had flashbacks from 60 yrs ago. i showed the same pic to ny nephew and he immediately questioned why there were so many chilren in the cafeteria. this was at marshall jr hi

post ambien

img065.jpg

Love the old hair styles. That looked like the Village theater at 1:45 or was it the Alabama? 

It's the Village Theater. In the background of the next shot with the girls walking across the street, you can see Craig's Department Store (now Urban Outfitters). Can anyone read the cross street in that shot that shows the University Blvd street sign? I don't think it's Kirby. In the mid 1950s, the NW corner was a residence, and the SE corner was a two-story building occupied by a clothing store (now Half Price Books).

Edited by Dan the Man

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Lamar High School History