Is Houston missing an iconic landmark?

Simbha

A few weeks ago I started a topic called "What would make our city 'better'?" The discussion went back and forth regarding various proposals - some, I think, intended to be provocative or funny. <_<

One of my own suggestions, which was echoed by some others, related to the construction of a massive monument of some sort. I've realized since that what I really meant was that I felt that Houston has no 'active' iconic landmark. Many might consider the Astrodome to have been it for a while, but its future is uncertain and its status as an icon of the city is in doubt (or is it painfully prophetic? :(). A massive monument, if appropriately selected/designed, almost certainly would fulfill this gap but so too might other constructions.

So... this thread is intended to get some responses to two questions:

1. Is Houston missing an iconic landmark of its own? (A prelude to this question might be whether cities 'need' such icons at all)

2. If so, what sort of ideas would be appropriate?

Here are my answers:

1. I think cities can benefit from such landmarks in order to better position themselves as 'global cities' that attract investment, trade and people. They're not necessary, but help. I think Houston is missing such a landmark, and could likewise benefit from having one. Other structures/places do help - Texas Medical Center, the Museum District, etc - but I think such landmarks must be (for lack of a better term...) monolithic for them to have the stated effect.

2. As I said in the previously-referenced topic, I think that an appropriate structure would be a massive monument to the city's oil/energy heritage. NOT a giant oil derrick, but something that reflects this important driver of the city's history and growth. In particular, a stylized steel structure that evokes visions of the oil industry, but that is artistic and aesthetic in its character. Originally, I had suggested that this be on the order of 30+ meters tall but I now believe that it would need to be much bigger than this.

What are your thoughts?

Many might consider the Astrodome to have been it for a while, but its future is uncertain and its status as an icon of the city is in doubt (or is it painfully prophetic? :(). A massive monument, if appropriately selected/designed, almost certainly would fulfill this gap but so too might other constructions.

The Colosseum in Rome comes to mind.

So... this thread is intended to get some responses to two questions:

1. Is Houston missing an iconic landmark of its own? (A prelude to this question might be whether cities 'need' such icons at all)

2. If so, what sort of ideas would be appropriate?

Here are my answers:

1. I think cities can benefit from such landmarks in order to better position themselves as 'global cities' that attract investment, trade and people. They're not necessary, but help. I think Houston is missing such a landmark, and could likewise benefit from having one. Other structures/places do help - Texas Medical Center, the Museum District, etc - but I think such landmarks must be (for lack of a better term...) monolithic for them to have the stated effect.

2. As I said in the previously-referenced topic, I think that an appropriate structure would be a massive monument to the city's oil/energy heritage. NOT a giant oil derrick, but something that reflects this important driver of the city's history and growth. In particular, a stylized steel structure that evokes visions of the oil industry, but that is artistic and aesthetic in its character. Originally, I had suggested that this be on the order of 30+ meters tall but I now believe that it would need to be much bigger than this.

What are your thoughts?

Our landmark is our skyline. We've got so many tall buildings clustered downtown that something along the lines of Reunion Tower, Hemisfair Tower, or the Space Needle would look puny in comparison. And really, I think that Williams Tower fulfills that purpose in a more stunning way than any of those.

If we're going to go about building additional landmarks, they either need to be quirky (i.e. Orange Show) or have understated elegance (i.e. Menil Collection), and they definitely need to be useful in some way.

Let's build a monument on the San Jacinto battleground that's taller than the Washington Monument.

Plus.

Exactly. We've already got a distinctive monument and it does nothing for the city in terms of reputation.

Simbha, you need to narrow your focus to just the city center, probably somewhere inside the loop. But even then, the question is what. What do you build that's distinctive, non-derivative and screams Houston? Sadly, a giant oil derrick may be about the only thing. Gone are the days when a bridge or an observation tower alone will do it.

Plus.

Exactly. We've already got a distinctive monument and it does nothing for the city in terms of reputation.

Simbha, you need to narrow your focus to just the city center, probably somewhere inside the loop. But even then, the question is what. What do you build that's distinctive, non-derivative and screams Houston? Sadly, a giant oil derrick may be about the only thing. Gone are the days when a bridge or an observation tower alone will do it.

Excellent clarification, Attica. Exactly what I meant.

Let's build a monument on the San Jacinto battleground that's taller than the Washington Monument.

Now if only we had a boat to go with it...

With rare exception (you're Caesar, Napoleon, a God, etc) intentionally setting out to build an iconic monolith is rather like

giving oneself a nickname. True icons reveal themselves over time. We can't just start calling ourselve 'T-Bone' and expect to

get a seat at the executive table.

With rare exception (you're Caesar, Napoleon, a God, etc) intentionally setting out to build an iconic monolith is rather like

giving oneself a nickname. True icons reveal themselves over time. We can't just start calling ourselve 'T-Bone' and expect to

get a seat at the executive table.

Good analogy and I understand where you're coming from. I suppose the real problem is 'iconic' but branding can do wonders in this regard, I think. Anything built in Houston could potentially be used to 'advertise' the city and (for example) its businesses.

Yeah, but the San Jacinto monument is hardly an iconic landmark, just a tall one.

Nothing against the grand gestures, but I would keep away from anything that too directly references the energy industry.

Our landmark is our skyline.

The skyline is a landmark for Houstonians perhaps, but if someone from somewhere else sees it they would likely think "What city is that?". I think the OP is looking for something that people would immediately identify with Houston.

Nothing against the grand gestures, but I would keep away from anything that too directly references the energy industry.

Could you elaborate as to why?

The skyline is a landmark for Houstonians perhaps, but if someone from somewhere else sees it they would likely think "What city is that?". I think the OP is looking for something that people would immediately identify with Houston.

Yes!

That underscores my point. You can make a monument but you can't make people care about it.

But I think this is more attributable to the facts that (i) it's not 'in town' and (ii) it's surrounded by refineries which doesn't make for the best photo-ops.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that people will automatically care for something that is purpose-built, but I think it's infinitely harder to get them to care when it's X miles away, surrounded by smelly factories.

But I think this is more attributable to the facts that (i) it's not 'in town' and (ii) it's surrounded by refineries which doesn't make for the best photo-ops.

Says you... I happen to think otherwise.

But that's part of it, as well, is that this thread begs the questions, "What are we trying to prove, and to whom?" Are we trying to garner the attention of decision makers in the business community (and which ones)? Foreign leaders/bureaucrats (and which countries)? Tourists (and which market segment)? Dallasites? Just what is the point of all this?

Personally, I'd say that if you throw out the economic development angle, then we should probably just forget about the whole thing. Why should we want such superficial, easily-impressed, mouth-breathing imps running about our fair city? If anything, we should try harder to repel that population.

Says you... I happen to think otherwise.

But that's part of it, as well, is that this thread begs the questions, "What are we trying to prove, and to whom?" Are we trying to garner the attention of decision makers in the business community (and which ones)? Foreign leaders/bureaucrats (and which countries)? Tourists (and which market segment)? Dallasites? Just what is the point of all this?

Personally, I'd say that if you throw out the economic development angle, then we should probably just forget about the whole thing. Why should we want such superficial, easily-impressed, mouth-breathing imps running about our fair city? If anything, we should try harder to repel that population.

It was presumptuous for me to suggest that as a fact, you're correct. In fact, I work in the oil and gas industry (now as a business consultant) and actually find the 'petroplex' to be visually stunning and beautiful. However, I was trying to reflect what I've heard from others and it came across (because I stated it) as fact. My apologies; however, I do stand by the belief that most people find the area surrounding the San Jacinto monument to be 'ugly'. But it's just that - a belief - and I have nothing but a few anecdotes to back it up.

It's not just about proving something. Houston is a great city with a lot of wonderful qualities but I'd like to see it have some more things that others have. Am I an advocate of making all cities alike? No. Should I move to other cities if I think they're 'better'? No, I'm not even saying they're 'better'. But not everything in urban life (or life, in general, for that matter) is about economics. (and I hold a graduate degree in economics). Some facets of "quality of life" cannot be measured in terms of their (impact on) economic wealth. I am of the opinion that an icon of the caliber I'm suggesting would do great things for the pride the citizens of this city feel in general and, yes, I think it could benefit the city economically (through, for example, tourism) but that's not the entire point. Others may disagree... that's why it's an opinion.

Edit: Oh, and I'm not oblivious to the possibility that others may find such manmade landmarks unnecessary. In fact, I suggested it in my original post.

I agree with Kyle in that we already have the San Jacinto Monument... but

I also agree with Simbha in that it doesnt offer the best view... but

I also agree with Niche in that our city's best existing landmark is our skyline... all of them.

So..

Plan A... We move the San Jacinto Monument into a central location roughly equidistant from the City's 4 central skylines( DT, UP, TMC, Greenway)

But that is a ridiculous plan.

So Plan B... We build a new monument, centrally located.

I lament the fact that Houston doesnt have a centrally located, publicly accessible, open on weekend, observation deck.

This would be a monument to Houstonians, but for Houstonians. If it happens to become an icon for the city, great.. but the the real purpose is for giving back to Houstonians... That and tourism dollars.

But what should this monument be?

I do like how Attica is thinking... Oil derrick. Could be the Houstonians Eiffel.. but it needs more.

We should also celebrate Houston's finest representative.

And we all know that means Jeff Bagwell.

As for location.... Obvious answer would be the former Wilshire Village location, but as an alternate spot, there is this great tract of land, former apartments, soon to become available... it's on Bissonnet and.. Ashby, I think.

Bagwell2.jpg

I agree with Kyle in that we already have the San Jacinto Monument... but

I also agree with Simbha in that it doesnt offer the best view... but

I also agree with Niche in that our city's best existing landmark is our skyline... all of them.

So..

Plan A... We move the San Jacinto Monument into a central location roughly equidistant from the City's 4 central skylines( DT, UP, TMC, Greenway)

But that is a ridiculous plan.

So Plan B... We build a new monument, centrally located.

I lament the fact that Houston doesnt have a centrally located, publicly accessible, open on weekend, observation deck.

This would be a monument to Houstonians, but for Houstonians. If it happens to become an icon for the city, great.. but the the real purpose is for giving back to Houstonians... That and tourism dollars.

But what should this monument be?

I do like how Attica is thinking... Oil derrick. Could be the Houstonians Eiffel.. but it needs more.

We should also celebrate Houston's finest representative.

And we all know that means Jeff Bagwell.

As for location.... Obvious answer would be the former Wilshire Village location, but as an alternate spot, there is this great tract of land, former apartments, soon to become available... it's on Bissonnet and.. Ashby, I think.

Bagwell.jpg

That's painful just to look at....

We should like build a gianormous tower thingy then before it's finished default and rename for some Dallas or Mexican uber rich person. Also, need to make sure the elevators don't work and built by semi-slave labor.ph34r.gif

Wait a minute, that already happened. wink.gif

But seriously if you talking about current buildings then Transco or (Texaco) Heritage building would interesting choices.

I like that Houston has no obvious visual epicenter. The hierarchal conflict of every adjacent parcel as designed in a vacuum is pretty awesome in it's breadth and scope from afar. I'm not a Houston booster by any means but I cannot deny my scientific curiosity in observing the intrinsic ephemeral beauty of our collective randomness.

A few points about aforementioned bldgs:

The idea behind the Transco tower design was to embrace this notion of "landmarking" through skillful branding of the surface aesthetics (via a post-modern *wink wink* towards NYC art deco crowned by the buoyed lighthouse). That itself is the truth in architecture revealed me because the interior of the bldg reads like any other class B-C office tower.

The San Jacinto monument is a grating and neo-modern experience for the tourist, but don't discount the aesthetic simply because it seems unnatural. This is a prime juxtaposition between the clean smooth finish of the white monument circumscribed by a complex grey weave of refinery conduits. Can't put my finger on it..but I like it.

The Astrodome as the Coliseum is romantic as beaux-arts, but the reality is, that it's simply dwarfed in scale by the shear flanking bulk of the Reliant Center. Another interesting juxtaposition that reflects Houston's ever changing ways.

Under every architectural skin is a formal prototype. The idea being that the Logos doctrine encapsulates the complexity of the bldg program as a vase frames a flower. To build a successful monument, we as a city, need to try to remember something worth memorializing. From there concrete issues can be debated.

Ah, so that's how he got all those steroids in there!

I meant for him to be standing on top, or maybe hanging on like KingKong.. but unfortunately, Baggy's open batting stance leads to 99% of the photos of him in uniform looking exactly like that.

Plus.. his stance is iconic... So you get to sit on the derrick, Baggy.

How stupid of me... We all know the Space shuttle will be retired soon

We should definitely have one of them bronzed and all up on the side of the oil derrick like its about to launch.

EDIT: So Fixed !!

I agree!! Let's face it. Oil derricks are everywhere in Texas. Look at Kilgore, Paris, Bay City, even Gladewater. For ours to count, it has to be bigger, better and.....well, much bigger. With a space shuttle would be even better.

I vote for the space shuttle AND an oil derrick.

Could you elaborate as to why?

Because any monument that is too literal an homage will end up as a caricature, eg a giant oil derrick. Personally, I would have gone with the Spirit of Houston statue proposal. That was over the top enough that it would have instantly been a landmark, plus I like the traditional aspect of representing various civic virtues with the draped female form.

Coming up with a landmark is a lot harder than one would think, and I would think that most cities that have them didn't set out to create landmarks.

Thinking some more about this, but "iconic" landmarks don't need to be towers, or large at all. In Brussels most people would think of the little peeing boy as more of a landmark than the Atomium. The prime symbol of Copenhagen is a modest statue of a mermaid.

Actually Houston already has what would be the perfect "iconic" landmark sitting in storage. Remember Bubba, the Holder's neon cockroach that used to perch above the Southwest Freeway? Replace the "Holder's" with "Houston" and reinstall Bubba in some prominent location (Market Square? JFK Blvd airport approach?). I can guarantee you that in no time at all it would be a famous landmark that the world would associate with Houston. You would see Bubba on tee-shirts all across the globe.

Of course, adopting a neon cockroach as a civic landmark would take a bit of a sense of humor, which can be lacking in the civic booster set.

thumb-E7D8_4B99FBF2.jpg

What if we built something like the Eiffel Tower and made it resemble a huge oil derrick, complete with an observation deck and maybe even a restaurant?  Tillman could build it like the Rainforest Cafe in Galveston where instead of lava it could spew forth oil every 30 minutes. 

Oh and we could attach the big Holder's cockroach to the side making it look like it's climbing up the tower. 

Archived