Commerce Towers: Condominium High-Rise At 914 Main St.

Does anyone have info on the Commerce Towers in Houston? I found a good-sized apartment there for $280,000, and it looks like a great place!

What does everyone think of it?

I think you should take your $280,000 and get a nice new 3000 sq.ft. David Powers home in Katy. That guy has some nice designs. You should look into Woodcreek Reserve.

http://www.davidpowershomes.com/ViewCommun...?Communityid=35

• Like 1

I think you should take your $280,000 and get a nice new 3000 sq.ft. David Powers home in Katy. That guy has some nice designs. You should look into Woodcreek Reserve.

http://www.davidpowershomes.com/ViewCommun...?Communityid=35

If you haven't found out by now, suburbs are overrated and they are cheap for a reason.

Nothing but me and my Cadillac, you might want to check out har.com under higrise condominiums. And search under your price range. http://har.com/cs_highrise.htm

• Like 1

Does anyone have info on the Commerce Towers in Houston? I found a good-sized apartment there for $280,000, and it looks like a great place!

What does everyone think of it?

Recently I spoke with someone who lives there and they really like the building. Regarding buying in the suburbs, compare increases in real estate prices of those properties to inner loop properties over the last several years. The inner loop has consistently done better.

One point to remember is, when prices get soft high rises units are the first to fall and the last to come up. With that being said, high rise prices have enjoyed a large percentage increase over the last several years.

I would move into Commerce in a heart beat if it was within my budget.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

As an ex-concierge for Commerce Towers let me say this... There is very nice homeowners there. All the maintainence employees commented that the " building is in shambles....couldnt pay me to live here"...etc. I have personally witnessed at least 8 or 9 floods due to plumbing in the one year i worked there. In a high rise when one floor- floods, the water finds a way down to the next and so on. The staff is micro managed, valets are illegal aliens but since theyre sub contracted not even a criminal background check is done, let alone proper social security verifaction. the pool will not stay clean, i guess all the polution in the downtown air settles on top. Hardly ever even seen anyone at the pool- maybe once or twice in the year i worked there. I would definately live elsewhere. way overpriced and will never sell.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Has anyone taken a walk through the commerce tower recently? What was once at thriving tunnel stop is closing down faster than you can think of what to get for lunch! Starbucks - closed. Salad place, mexican place, Luthers - closed. Stallones - closed. Topz - doomed (no one is ever in there). Expensive candy shop - 2 months tops. And the condos they try to sell/lease. Totally empty. My office looks right into the, and only 1 or 2 are occupied.

What is it about this building do you think that is not allowing it to prosper? The location is central, the building is nice.

• Like 1

I don't know what to tell you about all of the empty rooms you are seeing, but there are only about 8 units available for sale.

Perhaps the residents went for the minimalist look? :unsure:

HCAD shows 51 residences sold, and roughly 75 unsold. HAR.com probably only listed 7 or 8 so as not to make it look bad, as in empty.

Edited by RedScare

It has a lot of things going for it, tunnel access, right on the rail, great pool deck, some great views etc. There is also some historic tax credit deal that helps, but I can't remember the details. One floor has units with the higher (more 2 story high type) ceilings that you normally associate with a loft-type set up. Most have ceilings that are more standard height, probably 9' maybe but they seem low. I think that limits their appeal a little bit. The only real problem with them is price. The owner in New York won't drop them. Apparently the market has spoken and at the current price point, they are not moving very fast.

• Like 1

Has anyone taken a walk through the commerce tower recently? What was once at thriving tunnel stop is closing down faster than you can think of what to get for lunch! Starbucks - closed. Salad place, mexican place, Luthers - closed. Stallones - closed. Topz - doomed (no one is ever in there). Expensive candy shop - 2 months tops. And the condos they try to sell/lease. Totally empty. My office looks right into the, and only 1 or 2 are occupied.

What is it about this building do you think that is not allowing it to prosper? The location is central, the building is nice.

For the life of me I couldn't remember what building this was so I looked it up

BuildingAndMetro300.jpg

Now I remember, this is a pretty swanky place according to their website. I really can't see why it doesn't appear to be doing as well as you say. Is that street level potential corner still vacant?

• Like 1

Perhaps the residents went for the minimalist look? :unsure:

HCAD shows 51 residences sold, and roughly 75 unsold. HAR.com probably only listed 7 or 8 so as not to make it look bad, as in empty.

HMMM... I see what you are saying. I took the 8 available from Shirley Sanders.com, not HAR, because I thought her information was pretty reliable. Her website shows that 1 sold in March, 4 sold in April and that at the end of April, 15 were pending. That still doesn't account for the 75 unsold shown on HCAD.

• Like 1

For the life of me I couldn't remember what building this was so I looked it up

BuildingAndMetro300.jpg

Now I remember, this is a pretty swanky place according to their website. I really can't see why it doesn't appear to be doing as well as you say. Is that street level potential corner still vacant?

that is the one business that seems to be doing okay...tropioca, a bubble tea place.

I agree that you would THINK that it would be highly successful....so, are we thinking ghose then? :blink:

I forgot my camera today...will have to snoop tomorrow...

Edited by wendyps
  • Like 1

When I thought I was going to be moving back, I looked there. In my opinion, they were by FAR the nicest residences in downtown. I am not a fan of loft living. I like walls.

The units are stellar as my only gripe was that they had electric ovens/stoves.

The building itself is really nice. The pool deck is amazing and the amenities were nice too. At the time, you wouldn't have to pay taxes for something like 9 years because of the TIRZ or something like that.

Coming from Boston, I thought the price were quite reasonable. However, they are HIGH for Houston, especially downtown.

That said, the owner of the Rockets (Alexander) had a place there as did several people who work in the Med Center who utilized the rail. I looked on 5 different floors and most were half full (this was 2 years ago).

• Like 1

The building itself is really nice. The pool deck is amazing and the amenities were nice too.

dang it! I forgot my camera again...

thing about that pool deck...who would want to swim in it?...at least during a work day? I can tell you that anytime anyone is in that pool or around it, men swarm to that side of the building with binoculars :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Who in the hell would want to live Downtown?

Me. I have been downtown for almost 7 years. I love it. I walk to work and now that gas is $3 a gallon it is a big savings. I fill up with gas every month or so.

Who would want to live in suburbia and commute several hours every day?

• Like 1

i'm going to remember my camera tomorrow....i'm going to remember my camera tomorrow....i'm going to remember my camera tomorrow....i'm going to remember my camera tomorrow....i'm going to remember my camera tomorrow....

My office overlooks the building...I can see right through most of the apartments...empty! if they are sold, they don't have anyone living in them...