Alphonso Crutch Life Support Center Charter School At 7115 Clarewood Dr.

djrage

The former Gaylynn Theater in the NE corner of the parking lot has most currently been home to the Alphonso Crutch Life Support Center Charter School. It has stayed on "Life Support" by ripping off the Texas taxpayers for many years.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7088076

Before that, it was a children's place similar to Chuck-E-Cheese called Jungle Gymboree or something like that. My mom used to take me there in the early 90s when I was a little one.

The former Gaylynn Theater in the NE corner of the parking lot has most currently been home to the Alphonso Crutch Life Support Center Charter School.

The Gaylynn was demolished and the Sharpstown 8-plex was built on the same site. I assume the former 8-plex is what's housing the charter school now?

Gaylynn info (with pics)

The Gaylynn was demolished and the Sharpstown 8-plex was built on the same site. I assume the former 8-plex is what's housing the charter school now?

Gaylynn info (with pics)

Ok this question just took a sudden turn... I've had a curiosity over this building for sometime. Wondering what its original state was.

Recently I took an interest in the old Gaylynn Theater after seeing pictures of it on a couple of old movie theater sites. Cinema Treasures and Cinerama. Both sites have this theater listed as having been demolished and the location being occupied by the now shuttered Sharpstown Cinemas. Thought it was such a shame this place no longer exsited, it looked like a beautiful theater and wish i could have seen it. If I ever did go as a kid I was probably too small to remember it. Well now I don't believe that it ever was torn down, unless someone knows different. I was looking at the picture of the Crutch Charter School from the link glzuma posted, http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7088076. Then compared it to this picture of the old Gaylynn, http://cinerama.topcities.com/gaylynn.htm. First off the over hang, the doors and windows are identical, the columns have been altered but look behind that second column on the left and compare it to the old pic. What pretty much comfirmed it was the lights sockets on the ceiling of the over hang. This IS the old theater. Im glad to see it still standing but sad what its become in the hands of the charter school.

Edited by djrage

This is the Gaylynn Theater. It was not torn down. It went through many changes over the years. I remember going to movies there in the 60's.

I agree. The Sharpstown 8-Plex was built in the actual mall, in a side wing near the mall entrance to Foley's. Possibly underneath the second floor food court.

Ok this question just took a sudden turn... I've had a curiosity over this building for sometime. Wondering what its original state was.

Recently I took an interest in the old Gaylynn Theater after seeing pictures of it on a couple of old movie theater sites. Cinema Treasures and Cinerama. Both sites have this theater listed as having been demolished and the location being occupied by the now shuttered Sharpstown Cinemas. Thought it was such a shame this place no longer exsited, it looked like a beautiful theater and wish i could have seen it. If I ever did go as a kid I was probably too small to remember it. Well now I don't believe that it ever was torn down, unless someone knows different. I was looking at the picture of the Crutch Charter School from the link glzuma posted, http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?section=news/local&id=7088076. Then compared it to this picture of the old Gaylynn, http://cinerama.topcities.com/gaylynn.htm. First off the over hang, the doors and windows are identical, the columns have been altered but look behind that second column on the left and compare it to the old pic. What pretty much comfirmed it was the lights sockets on the ceiling of the over hang. This IS the old theater. Im glad to see it still standing but sad what its become in the hands of the charter school.

I sit corrected. I hadn't looked at the ABC13 link when I posted that, but it is clearly the same building.

I saw a few movies at the Gaylynn in its later Gaylynn Terrace incarnation. I haven't been to the mall in years, but now I'm tempted to get an in-person look at the old theater building. I'd love to see what it looks like inside now.

I agree. The Sharpstown 8-Plex was built in the actual mall, in a side wing near the mall entrance to Foley's. Possibly underneath the second floor food court.

According to the article in Sunday's Chronicle, this theater will eventually re-open as part of the Plaza Americas remodeling/rebranding.

I sit corrected. I hadn't looked at the ABC13 link when I posted that, but it is clearly the same building.

I saw a few movies at the Gaylynn in its later Gaylynn Terrace incarnation. I haven't been to the mall in years, but now I'm tempted to get an in-person look at the old theater building. I'd love to see what it looks like inside now.

Yeah think ill be doing that as well. Im out in south Texas right now but when I come home this weekend. I'm stopping by there.

• The title was changed to The Charter School Behind Sharpstown Mall
  • The title was changed to Alphonso Crutch Life Support Center Charter School At 7115 Clarewood Dr.