The Official Houston Mod Website Update

BenH

Hello all!

This is a place where we can let everyone know when we add new content to the Houston Mod website, whether it's buildings, news or events.

You can now find original photos from the Alden B. Dow archives of the Charles Reed residence at 111 Carnarvon here:

http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.asp?by=arch&seled=Alden%20B.%20Dow

Also, photos from Edward Durell Stone's collection at the University of Arkansas are photos of the demolished Kempner residence:

http://www.houstonmod.org/bldg_detail.asp?id=131&by=lost&ss=2

Be sure to check the "Lost Modern" and "Endangered Modern" sections frequently. For some reason, updates to those sections aren't registering in the regular databases.

• 1 month later...

Hello all!

This is a place where we can let everyone know when we add new content to the Houston Mod website, whether it's buildings, news or events.

You can now find original photos from the Alden B. Dow archives of the Charles Reed residence at 111 Carnarvon here:

http://www.houstonmo...lden%20B.%20Dow

Also, photos from Edward Durell Stone's collection at the University of Arkansas are photos of the demolished Kempner residence:

http://www.houstonmo...31&by=lost&ss=2

Be sure to check the "Lost Modern" and "Endangered Modern" sections frequently. For some reason, updates to those sections aren't registering in the regular databases.

These are some really cool photos of some very nice homes. I love the Dow home with the split-level concepts, ceiling affects, and plenty of glass - floor to ceiling. Our home is very open as this one, and though our windows are large, they are nowhere near the Dow home. Maybe our next project will entail bigger glass, and copy of the Dow glass walls. I showed these to my wife, and guess what? We're going to be taking bids, like tomorrow! That's what she said!

A lot of the Dow House windows are sliding glass door units. If your house's structure can handle it then go for it. When was your house built? A friend of mine lives in the Stallworth House by William Floyd:

http://www.houstonmod.org/bldg_detail.asp?id=59&by=arch&seled=William%20N.%20Floyd

She is an architect and remodeled the house. They had a little bit of glass on the back of the house (I think they had one sliding glass door), but then took it to the next level with a lot more. I think they had to reinforce the structure somehow. It not only looks period correct, but better than it ever did. It looks like Floyd probably would have wanted it to if he had no restrictions on funds. I don't have interior pics, but she'd probably be willing to show you.

Jason

A lot of the Dow House windows are sliding glass door units. If your house's structure can handle it then go for it. When was your house built? A friend of mine lives in the Stallworth House by William Floyd:

http://www.houstonmo...am%20N.%20Floyd

She is an architect and remodeled the house. They had a little bit of glass on the back of the house (I think they had one sliding glass door), but then took it to the next level with a lot more. I think they had to reinforce the structure somehow. It not only looks period correct, but better than it ever did. It looks like Floyd probably would have wanted it to if he had no restrictions on funds. I don't have interior pics, but she'd probably be willing to show you.

Jason

We remodeled this house 8 years ago, but it was built in 1980. I showed a friend who is a structural engineer what we wanted to do with the big glass. He suggested a series of decorative reenforcement beams, and then we could make three of the four rear walls glass from floor to ceiling that would be sliding panels. This looks out over Clear Lake waterway, and the view will be wonderful from inside, as well as out. I'd love it if your friend would post the interior pics of the Stallworth House!

Very cool pics! Thanks for posting these, as they have given us some great ideas for our house. My wife loved the exposed beams, and the way they shaped them at the roofline with the glass. We're going to talk with our architect about creating the very same effect.

Very nice home, and again, thanks for the post!

• 9 months later...

A few quick additions to the website:

Added the Cain/Lockwood house (3269 Reba by M. Arthur Kotch) and working on adding more photos.

Added more text (news) to the pages about the Farfel and Owsley houses.

Moved the Greer house to the Endangered Section.

Moved the Hull and Red Houses to the Lost Modern sections.

• 1 year later...

Hello all!

http://www.houstonmod.org/buildings.asp?by=arch&seled=Alden%20B.%20Dow

It's really cool to see these pics. My wife's uncle bought the house and did a lot of modifications to it and I was never able to see it in its natural state, The skylight is gone and the floors are travertine all the way through now. Also the ceilings were raised and most of the interior brick is covered over. I didn't even know there was a fireplace at one time as it's covered over now. The original plan was to demo the house and build a new one there. I'm glad they chose to remodel instead. I personally would have left the interior mostly alone but they modified it enough so they are comfortable there. It really is a beautiful place.

Next time I'm over there I'll ask if I can post some new shots so you all can see the difference.  

• 3 months later...

Okay, in the process of making some corrections and adding new buildings to the site. 

Added the Winterbotham House by Bolton & Barnstone, 54 Briar Hollow Lane - Lost Modern

Added the Liese House by Lloyd & Morgan, 328 Buckingham - Lost Modern

Added the Straus House by Lloyd & Morgan, 53 Briar Hollow Lane - Lost Modern

Added the Mermel House by Howard Barnstone, 5043 Glenmeadow - Endangered 

Added the Wing House by Howard Barnstone, 33 East Rivercrest - Endangered

Added new photos to 7919 Glenview in Glenbrook Valley - Still with us. 

Matched architects Arthur Steinberg, Hy Applebaum and Joel Brand with buildings already on the website that we didn't know who designed them. 

Will probably add more tomorrow. Remember to check the website on a regular basis. If you know anything about any of these buildings, don't hesitate to shoot us an e-mail with the information. 

More additions, unfortunately all have been torn down or heavily altered. 

Added the original Texas Children's Hospital by Milton Foy Martin. 

Added the Kelsey-Leary-Seybold building in the Medical Center by Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson. 

Added the Houston State Psychiatric Building in the Medical Center by George Pierce & Abel B. Pierce. 

Added the Medical Center National Bank Building by John A Gleeson with Brown & McKim. 

Added the Texas Insitute for Rehabilitation and Research Building by Wilson, Morris, Crain & Anderson. 

Added the Cook House by Bolton & Barnstone. Originally in Friendswood. 

• 1 month later...

Added the Gilbert Arnold house by Burdette Keeland to Mod-No-More.

Added the Ashland Chemical Company Research Laboratory by Skidmore, Owings & Merrill to Mod-No-More.

Added the Halpern House by P.M. Bolton & Assoc. to Mod-No-More.

Added Southwest Tower by Kenneth Bentsen & Assoc. to Mod-No-More. 

Added vintage photos to the Loy house by P.M. Bolton & Assoc. to Residential.  

Added the Houck house by Burdette Keeland to Residential. 

Added the J. Luther Evans house by Phillip G. Willard in Lake Jackson to Residential. 

Added the O.L. Johnson house by Phillip G. Willard in Lake Jackson to Residential. 

Added the Sansom house by Phillip G. Willard in Lake Jackson to Residential. 

Added the Key house by Thomas Sydney Fluker & Edward Hilla to Residential. 

Added the Walter P. Moore Jr. house by Wilson Morris Crain & Anderson to Residential. 

Attempted to add new photos of the S.I. Morris house to Residential, but the website apparently doesn't want you to see them. 

• 3 months later...
  • The title was changed to The Official Houston Mod Website Update Thread
  • The title was changed to The Official Houston Mod Website Update

Archived