Highway 249 And Beltway 8

We use 249 to the Beltway to get to I-10 all the time, but for some reason they only built a flyover to Beltway East. And EVERYONE wants to go west. The backups in the morning are unbelievable. I love the flyover from the Beltway to 249 north, and it would be so great to have that ease getting on.

Why did they chose to do an east bound flyover vs. the west bound, which has more traffic? Are they ever going to build it?

Also, why don't they complete 249 towards Tomball. I know the Grand Parkway is supposed to go through there in 2011, but I can't imagine they aren't going to continue 249 until that time.Its greatly needed for the traffic going north and it would take about 9 minutes off the commute.

It just seems like they ran out of money for 249. NO westbound flyover and an incomplete freeway.

We use 249 to the Beltway to get to I-10 all the time, but for some reason they only built a flyover to Beltway East. And EVERYONE wants to go west.  The backups in the morning are unbelievable. I love the flyover from the Beltway to 249 north, and it would be so great to have that ease getting on.

Why did they chose to do an east bound flyover vs. the west bound, which has more traffic? Are they ever going to build it?

Also, why don't they complete 249 towards Tomball. I know the Grand Parkway is supposed to go through there in 2011, but I can't imagine they aren't going to continue 249 until that time.Its greatly needed for the traffic going north and it would take about 9 minutes off the commute.

It just seems like they ran out of money for 249. NO westbound flyover and an incomplete freeway.

Yes, money was the main issue. I recall that the SB 249 to WB BW8 ramp was very costly for some reason. I think it had to do with the need to relocate high voltage lines. Since this was a "right-turn" movement, that ramp was cut out of the interchange upgrade project that was recently completed. Several months ago the issue of the ramp came up again. I think HCTRA has a study underway on how best to handle the problem. So my guess is that they'll take action as soon as the recommendation comes in.

As for SH 249 near Tomball, that section was the recent focus of a toll controversy where TxDOT wanted to toll the ENTIRE SH 249 to get funds to extend SH 249 northward as a tollway. Now they just plan to toll extensions north of the existing freeway.

A $51 million contract will be awarded in June to complete frontage roads around Tomball and an overpass at FM 2920. The main lanes at FM 2920 will eventually be tolled, and may be tolled immediately with TxDOT's toll fanaticism these days.

http://www.dot.state.tx.us/insdtdot/orgcha...s.htm#072003084

Now they just plan to toll extensions north of the existing freeway.

A $51 million contract will be awarded in June to complete frontage roads around Tomball and an overpass at FM 2920. The main lanes at FM 2920 will eventually be tolled, and may be tolled immediately with TxDOT's toll fanaticism these days.

Thanks for your reply. I think if they toll the new extension, everyone is going to get off before the toll and head down Boudreaux and hit Huffsmith-Knorville like they already do. TxDot needs to stop with all the tolling. And its also time to take down Beltway 8's toll booths! Or at least reduce the toll for crying out loud.

You would be surprised at how many people live north of Tomball off 249 in Harris County and Montgomery County.

Many drive into the city and will use this facility, but the demand isn't enough to justify TxDOT spending the money to build the expressway with no charge. Many other projects in the state qualify before 249. The toll option was a way of TxDOT give the commuters the freeway faster.

The toll concept on 249 was on the table long before the TxDOT tolling fanaticism started. Now it will probably move quicker since TxDOT is supporting more tolled facilities.

• 2 weeks later...
  • The title was changed to Highway 249 And Beltway 8

Archived