Sign in to follow this  
pookrat

Ref's Sports Bar

Anybody hear any word about Ref's? I saw the thread about Stats and that is definitely a sure thing and they are almost ready. But I heard through the grapevine that since Pizza Fusion is no more, they were putting a Sports Bar called Ref's in it's place.

Any word on that?

Anybody hear any word about Ref's? I saw the thread about Stats and that is definitely a sure thing and they are almost ready. But I heard through the grapevine that since Pizza Fusion is no more, they were putting a Sports Bar called Ref's in it's place.

Any word on that?

Today is Pizza Fusion's last day. :(

Ref's will be open very soon. Just what the world needs, another flippin' sports bar with nothing more than TV's, beer and fried bar food. Big whoop. :rolleyes:

Ref's will be open very soon. Just what the world needs, another flippin' sports bar with nothing more than TV's, beer and fried bar food. Big whoop.

Edited by GettaClue

Ref's will be open very soon. Just what the world needs, another flippin' sports bar with nothing more than TV's, beer and fried bar food. Big whoop. :rolleyes:

Ref's will be open very soon. Just what the world needs, another flippin' sports bar with nothing more than TV's, beer and fried bar food. Big whoop.

I wonder what their target demographic is.

I liked Pizza Fusion too!!! This is really too bad. My wife and I loved the BBQ chicken pizza. I would like to think this was not due to a lack of business as they seemed to always have a good sized crowd when I was there. But they also had issues with the Vintage Park management that were well known. One was that the owner did not feel he was being given enough waste area for being able to recycle. That was very important to him since the restaurant was built on that premise. I remember meeting the owner at the Vintage Park grand opening and he did not seem to be real happy about some things, especially when they first opened.

I liked Pizza Fusion too!!! This is really too bad. My wife and I loved the BBQ chicken pizza. I would like to think this was not due to a lack of business as they seemed to always have a good sized crowd when I was there. But they also had issues with the Vintage Park management that were well known. One was that the owner did not feel he was being given enough waste area for being able to recycle. That was very important to him since the restaurant was built on that premise. I remember meeting the owner at the Vintage Park grand opening and he did not seem to be real happy about some things, especially when they first opened.

The explanation I was given was that while they had a good number of customers, the cost vs. price models, given their high-quality (organic, natural) ingredients, was not sustainable.

It's sad to me that mid-price healthier restaurants seem to fly in many other parts of the country, but not so much here in Houston. I guess beer and bar food are sustainable here...they certainly help keep the Medical Center in business.

Saw that the signage was up this weekend and looks like most of the inside has been remodeled. Should be open soon.

The Cy-Fair section in the Sunday paper had the following short article:

"Chris Toman, the owner of Pizza Fusion, is converting his restaurant into a new concept - Ref's Sports Bar & Grill. Ref's will still offer pizza. New features will include 13 high-definition TV's inside and a 55 inch outdoor screen."

The Cy-Fair section in the Sunday paper had the following short article:

"Chris Toman, the owner of Pizza Fusion, is converting his restaurant into a new concept - Ref's Sports Bar and Grill. Ref's will still offer pizza. New features will include 13 high-definition TV's inside and a 55-inch outdoor screen."

Ref's will still offer pizza.

It won't be the awesome Pizza Fusion pizzas though. :( Those recipes and techniques are proprietary and go with the franchise.

My wife and I decided to pay Ref's a visit last Friday night since we were in the area. We didn't realize until we got there that it was the grand opening. I doesn't look like much had changed on the inside. They added some TV's and changed some seating around but not much else. Having said that, I don't think much needed to be done anyway. It's a nice atmosphere. My only complaint was paying $5.00 for a pint of St. Arnolds Lawnmower Beer. I thought it was a mistake until I was charged another $5.00 for a second round. The place is pretty nice, but not nice enough for me to pay $5.00 for a draft beer that is brewed about 15 miles away.

We gave Ref's a shot a couple of weeks ago, and were not impressed. Our table was dirty when they sat us, and when we requested another table, they took us to ANOTHER dirty table. They were not very busy, so they could've cleaned up.

Another disappointment was the fact they covered their pretty hardwood tables with cheap black tablecloths (which are basically glued to the tables). The only reason this irked us, is that the tables are made of recycled basketball court... perfect for a sports bar!

It seems like there are some bugs to work out, and I wish them the best. Vintage Park needs to keep all the tenants they can!