Cinema Latino Theater At 2233 Southmore Ave.

Cinema Latino is opening their 1st theater in the Houston metro area in Pasadena at Southmore and Burke. Taking over 20,000 square feet of space formerly occupied by a theater, they show 1st run Hollywood movies, dubbed/subtitled in Spanish, also Latin and Central American films. Everything is in Spanish, including the lobby and theater music, the concessions, and the advertisements. Opening is planned for May 19.

[bay Area Houston Economic Partnership]

That's where my aunt used to take us to see matinees on Saturday afternoons when I was a kid. For some reason all I remember seeing there is "Zorro".

I have no doubt that the theater will be successful. North Pasadena is heavily Hispanic. I would think that something further north and west of there would have been a better location, closer to Old Galveston Rd, so that it's smack dab in the middle of South Houston/Pasadena/East End. But I can't think of a theater in that area...

If I'm not mistaken the Houston area is also home to an Indo-Pak theater, across Hwy 6 from West Oaks Mall.

Are there any other theaters in the Houston area that feature non-English films? It's another sign of the diverse city we live in.

Yeah the "pretty soon" seems a little rash after just one theatre opens up. Still, could be nice if they get some of the actual Spanish movies earlier from people like Pedro Almodovar and the movies like Amores Perros, Motorcycle Diaries, and Y Tu Mama Tambien. Some of those take months to come over here and are actually quality movies.

Then again if its a movie theatre to show Telemundo type movies over and over, not exactly something that is much of a benefit.

If I'm not mistaken the Houston area is also home to an Indo-Pak theater, across Hwy 6 from West Oaks Mall. 

You're correct, it's called Bollywood cinema or something like that and its in the shopping center where the old Toy's R Us used to be or where it still is(not sure). If it's not in that shopping center it's in the one next to it.

And also I think that this new Theater would do exceptionally well in Houston, since the city has a strong spanish speaking population. Does Los Angeles have theaters like this one? They probably do, but if not, I am quite surprised.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Such a bizarre prediction.

Spanish language theaters are long overdue, considering the potential customer base.

[FONT=Impact]Agree with you on that!! Houston is a multicultural city, we need variety en todo. Enves de criticar, deveriamos de apoyarnos a nosotros mismos!! Support people!!! As simple as that, we need to come together as one!

Guest danax
[FONT=Impact]Agree with you on that!! Houston is a multicultural city, we need variety en todo. Enves de criticar, deveriamos de apoyarnos a nosotros mismos!!

^Pretty soon there will be no english movie theaters in Houston.

that is the only spanish language theater i have heard of so far. don't worry...the english theaters have at least a couple more years left.

• 2 years later...
  • The title was changed to Cinema Latino Theater At 2233 Southmore Ave.

Archived