Sealing Shiplap Ceilings

While having someone prepare a quote to do attic repairs where the old bungalow was cut in half, I asked about products to caulk gaps in the ceiling. My plan is to leave the wood exposed in all but one room, which will have sheetrock on the ceiling. He said there is a product that can be rolled on from the attic side that will seal the ceiling and leave it looking "natural" (no caulk) from inside the house. Has anyone done something similar?

huh.gif

• 5 years later...

I too am looking for good solutions to this problem.  Have a 111 year old home and in two rooms the sheet rock or what ever has fallen down exposing a great old shiplap ceiling.  I would like to just leave it at that but want something to go in between where there are gaps.  Any and all suggestions will greatly be appreciated as I want to get started on this right away.

Quite a jump there, from 2010...

You could clean up the attic side of the planking and apply a mesh product like FibaTape; or better yet, just caulk all the joints. This sounds daunting, but actually if the shiplap is 1x8 or 1x10 there isn't that much footage to caulk. Typical shiplap shrink joint is maybe 1/4" to 3/8".  Use some temporary 3/4" plywood shelving for decking when crawling to the low-headroom areas under rafters. Don't walk on the shiplap. You may be in for a big surprise.

First remove all of your abandoned suitcases, baby cribs, and Xmas stuff, pull back insulation or sweep it out of there, broom clean the  dust, and vacuum with shop vac. This will make the caulking go much easier, not having dust on the surfaces. Get some decent lighting, and don't get electrocuted by old wiring etc. Best to do this before March.

You could also apply foam insulation, but that's kind of pricey.

post-7654-0-30702000-1450752037_thumb.jp

Archived