The Scene West Club At 5325 West Alabama St.

morpheus

My buddy and I roamed the Westheimer area, from the Galleria and westward, in search of parties with alluring women. This was between 1966 and 1970, while I attended UofH. Do you recall the Scene West? It was an extremely popular dance club, with a plexiglass dance floor that lit up, and a drummer that played along with tunes of the day. As I remember, the girls tended to be rather stuck up there, but the music was great.

The big party places, at least for us, were Three Fountains and Cummins/Timmons Lane Apartments. There would often be two or three going on at once, often around a pool. I remember the faces of some regulars, but no names. I would describe these places as one night stand paradises. Those were the days of heavy makeup and hairspray, but it seems like those Houston girls were exceptionally pretty.

And then there was Sin Alley, but I think that topic was already covered.

BTW, I graduated form high school in 1964.

Edit:  October 23, 1969

yJ3fd3K.png

My apartment life/heavy duty party days began in '71 just after I got off active duty when I moved into the newly built Napoleon Square. I think Three Fountains had settled down somewhat, or had become tamer than other places. I do remember that it had acquired a new name, something along the lines of “Roach City” because of a horrible roach infestation they had there.

I once went to a place that had a lighted dance floor like you described. I was probably a few dozen sheets to the wind at the time, but it wasn't my kind of place. I don't remember the name, but it could well have been Scene West.

• 7 years later...
On 2/15/2010 at 10:46 PM, morpheus said:

My buddy and I roamed the Westheimer area, from the Galleria and westward, in search of parties with alluring women. This was between 1966 and 1970, while I attended UofH. Do you recall the Scene West? It was an extremely popular dance club, with a plexiglass dance floor that lit up, and a drummer that played along with tunes of the day. As I remember, the girls tended to be rather stuck up there, but the music was great.

The big party places, at least for us, were Three Fountains and Cummins/Timmons Lane Apartments. There would often be two or three going on at once, often around a pool. I remember the faces of some regulars, but no names. I would describe these places as one night stand paradises. Those were the days of heavy makeup and hairspray, but it seems like those Houston girls were exceptionally pretty.

And then there was Sin Alley, but I think that topic was already covered.

BTW, I graduated form high school in 1964.

Scene West was the first club in Houston to have a lighted dance floor. Danced many times to Al Green' music. 

• The title was changed to Scene West Club & Three Fountains Apartments On Cummins Ln.
  • The title was changed to The Scene West Club At 5325 West Alabama St.

Archived