Mai's Restaurant At 3403 Milam St.

kylejack

I thought it was earth, air, fire, and water. Or was it just Earth, Wind, and Fire?

I was subjected to a joke about this last week, so it's still fresh in my mind. Attica got it right. They condensed air and water into 'Wind' and added 'Heart'. The show promoted environmentalism, after all. And you can't be a true environmentalist zealot without ignoring historical precedent, casting facts to the Wind, and doing so with Heart so that you don't have to stop to explain yourself.

• 2 months later...
6/3/2010

109 days and counting

Its hard to believe that over three months have passed, but so much has taken place behind the scenes to get us to this point.

I am so ecstatic to announce that we officially begin rebuilding today!

Thank you so much, Houston, for your outpouring of support during this time. Your countless stories and memories of Mai's has helped us navigate beyond the tragedy and move forward. Please continue to share your stories with us as we await the rebirth of a new Mai's. And please continue to visit the website for more updates on our progress.

Sincerely,

Anna Pham

General Manager

http://maishouston.com

........darn, so i guess we won't be going to mai's after the 80's party in two weeks. ;) any 24 hour vietnamese alternatives in midtown?

Van Loc is open until 11 on weekdays and midnight on weekends. I'm not sure how late Kim Tai is open, but not quite as late as Van Loc, I think.

........darn, so i guess we won't be going to mai's after the 80's party in two weeks. ;) any 24 hour vietnamese alternatives in midtown?

Is Kim Son still 24hrs? Not Midtown, but not too far.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The website says Mai's is "returning Fall 2010". :D

They can re-build the building, but can they re-build their wait staff? It'll never be the same if the hostess doesn't look at you funny and shrug when you complain that a homeless woman is physically accosting their customers outside their front door.

I'll never go back.

• 3 weeks later...

A very good replacement for Mai's is Red Pier next to Les Givrals, they have family style meals similar to Mai's. I believe they are an extension of Les Givrals, being owned by the same people, so you won't find very many overlapping items, for instance you won't find pho there.

• 6 months later...

Mai's is rumored to be re-opening soon.

edit: According to Yelp, Mai's is re-opening Saturday April 16.

My thanks to the Yelp critics for reminding me of just how horrible the help is at this restaurant.

Edited by dbigtex56

• 3 weeks later...