Old Store At 5200 Lawndale St.

Until recently, there was a fairly large store on the corner at 5200 Lawndale, next to the Lawndale Avenue Baptist Church. I haven't been on that part of Lawndale in a while but today, I noticed that it was demolished and the land already cleared. I've lived in the area for 25+ years and it had been closed and boarded all that time. It had fallen into a terrible state and really needed to come down.

Does anyone know what that store was? I seem to remember an 'older' neighbor saying it was a furniture store but she may have been mistaken.

I jumped in my time machine (also known as Google Maps Streetview) and came up with the answer Christmas Co. Early American Shoppe. Link

A little more googling indicates it had been vacant since 1968, according to one HAIFer.

*shakes fist at Citykid*

Now I really feel old. Wonder when that Google photo was taken. I used to travel that road frequently as one of my sisters used to live in that house that's behind the wooden fence on Telephone at Broadmoor. It was back in the early 80's and there was no fence in front of the house then. I sure don't remember seeing the name on that storefront. Guess I saw it so often I just ignored it.....

Thanks to everyone..I knew someone here would have the answer.

Guess property changes are due to the rail system going down that way.

Nope, the rail system will be pretty distant from this location. And I can say from a first-hand inspection that this building was demolished because it was just so far gone. It should've been condemned years ago as a hazard to public safety.

Nope, the rail system will be pretty distant from this location. And I can say from a first-hand inspection that this building was demolished because it was just so far gone. It should've been condemned years ago as a hazard to public safety.

correct. the furniture guy nearby does great work.

Wonder if they'll ever extend the University Line beyond Eastwood TC... get it to Lawndale and on out to 225.

Seems like a huge chunk of East End is actually pretty distant from a future rail station.

Wonder if they'll ever extend the University Line beyond Eastwood TC... get it to Lawndale and on out to 225.

Seems like a huge chunk of East End is actually pretty distant from a future rail station.

The East End is a big place, and the quarter-mile rule for walking distance barely does justice to even more cohesive neighborhoods such as Midtown.

Like you, though, I suspect that the Eastwood TC terminus is only temporary. I would suspect that the Denver Harbor TC is the next stop, however, while the Magnolia TC terminus will be extended towards Gulfgate.

• The title was changed to Old Store At 5200 Lawndale St.

Archived